Profilux Programmable Logic Usage & Examples

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a thread dedicated to Programmable Logic, which is GHL's "programming language" which lets you setup more complicated tasks.
Please add your examples to this thread.
Start with a brief description of what your PL does, and then details on how to set it up.
I will update this first post with direct links to each individual post throughout this thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLICK THE FOLLOWING LINKS TO GO TO COMPLETE DESCRIPTION:

1. Ozone Generator controlled by Redox Probe AND a Timer.
2. Shut down Heater in the case of an Alarm.
3. Run ATO pump via Level Sensor in timed intervals until level is reached

Last edited:
OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to run Ozone on my tank to help clear up the water and break down organics but it kills my skim mate production. So I want to run it for just a few hours in the morning. A timer would work for this but I want the safety feature of having the probe turn the ozone generator off if Redox gets too high.

Step 1: Set the Nominal Value and Hysteresis for your Redox Probe. (in my case 300 mV and 20mV Hysteresis)

Step 2: Create your Timer (in my case, Timer 2 set to run 10am - 1pm every day)

Step 3: Create your PL.
- I chose Gate G1
- Input 1 is set to "Redox Increase 1"
- Input 2 is set to "Timer 2"
- Function set to "AND"

Step 4: Set the socket (S10) to Programmable Logic 1

What this says is that I need the timer to run from 10am to 1pm, as long as the Redox value needs to increase, and it will turn on socket S10.
If the Redox value does not need to increase (mV hits the nominal value), then the timer will not turn on socket S10.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i get a general alarm I wan´t to shout down my Heater - even if the temperature of the aquarium demand heating

1. I set the nominal value of the temperature probe and the hysteresis of the Probe. In my case Temp 2; 26 degree C and 0.15.
  2. I create a PL Gate (y)
  3. Input 1 is set to General Alarm (inverted)
  4. Input 2 is set to Temperature 2 Heather
  5. Function is set to "AND"
  6. Socket (x) (the socket for the Heather) is set to PL (y) (the actual PL Gate)
Tip - If you use a temp probe to regulate a Heater - its rather good to use a special function at the controllers operation mode

1. Default is set to two position controller - it means it use the hysteresis fully out. The temperature will vary around the nominal value - how much is decided by the hysteresis
  2. If the operation mode instead is set to pulse variable and the pulse is set to 10 minutes and pause set to 1 minute (In my case but the figures are changeable) If the actual value is far away from the nominal value - the Heater will run for the whole 10 minutes - turn off and wait for 1 minute before it turns on again. As the actual temperature will come closer to the nominal value - the computer will reduce the time of the on-pulse but always wait 1 minute before turn on again. This will allow a very stable temperature – very close to the nominal value. You can also use this function for cooling fans but not for compressor driven chillers. These need to run for a prolonged time – otherwise it can damage the compressor.
Screen Shot 03-05-17 at 10.17 PM.PNG

Screen Shot 03-05-17 at 10.11 PM.PNG

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good one, Lasse... and thanks for the heater tip! Just changed mine. :)

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I'll have to read into the heater lasse. I'm not "getting" what your putting down just yet.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini

Values of the two variables (pulse and pause) is depended on the system. For me - it works well with 10 and 1 minute. I have the Heather and the probe close to each other but if you have the probe in the Aquarium and the heather in the sump - you probably need a longer pause time. The temperature in my tank levelling off at 25.9 - set point 26 degrees C. If I change my pause time to 30 seconds - maybe I hit 26 degrees C. but it’s easier to change the set point to 26.1 :) My sample frequency is 10 minutes

@stevo01
If you use two position controller mode - your actual value will vary between (if hysteresis set to 0.2) 25,9 and 26,1. With pulse variable - a programme in the profilux sense how close to the nominal value (set point) you are. Are you far away – it will use the whole pulse period – after that wait a adjustable time to see if the pulse give any effects. The computer does a new calculation – are you closer to the set point – the pulse will be shorter. The closer you are - the shorter the pulse. But pause time will always be constant at the time of your chose. In this way – you can create a very stable temperature – see my graph. Sample time – 10 minutes

Sincerely Lasse

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool thread!

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini

Values of the two variables (pulse and pause) is depended on the system. For me - it works well with 10 and 1 minute. I have the Heather and the probe close to each other but if you have the probe in the Aquarium and the heather in the sump - you probably need a longer pause time. The temperature in my tank levelling off at 25.9 - set point 26 degrees C. If I change my pause time to 30 seconds - maybe I hit 26 degrees C. but it’s easier to change the set point to 26.1 :) My sample frequency is 10 minutes

@stevo01
If you use two position controller mode - your actual value will vary between (if hysteresis set to 0.2) 25,9 and 26,1. With pulse variable - a programme in the profilux sense how close to the nominal value (set point) you are. Are you far away – it will use the whole pulse period – after that wait a adjustable time to see if the pulse give any effects. The computer does a new calculation – are you closer to the set point – the pulse will be shorter. The closer you are - the shorter the pulse. But pause time will always be constant at the time of your chose. In this way – you can create a very stable temperature – see my graph. Sample time – 10 minutes

Sincerely Lasse

Thanks Lasse! Works like a charm. Instead of a shark tooth temperature profile, mine is now flat as can be!

Bob

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini

@stevo01

Sincerely Lasse

Oh cool, I get it!

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse, have a look please. this is how the heater has been set up. my heater is in my sump very close to the probe. Any suggestions?

2017-03-07.png

KenJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone have the instructions to connect ATO level sensor and turn on an outlet for a pump to run 30 sec pause and run again until level is reached?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO level sensor and turn on an outlet for a pump to run 30 sec pause and run again until level is reached

• Identify your level sensor. P4 has two connection for max 4 level sensors (with split cables). The lower connection is normally sensor 1 and 2 (1 if no splitter is connected). Connect the sensor and move the floating body slowly up and down. Normally there is a X mark for available sensors and if the floating body is up. If you move the body down – the X mark vill be a – mark. Set the reaction time – here its 2 sec .
    The screenshot show that my sensor is sensor 1

Screen Shot 03-08-17 at 06.51 PM.PNG

• Configure a Control Circuit. I chose number 1. auto top off. Maximum on-time = 0 = deactivated. If you as an example pu 15 minutes . a general alarm will be created if the sensor is active over 15 minutes in one session. Check mark the reset error automatically if you do not want to reset mannually. Chose sensor and name the function
Screen Shot 03-08-17 at 06.57 PM.PNG

Go to processes at the left and expand the plus sign. Chose a timer. Chose cyclic. Specify the days or chose day interval. Hit new. Put in 30 sec pause -> 30 sec run. Hit OK and do not forget to save Changes
Screen Shot 03-08-17 at 07.06 PM.PNG

• Go to programmable Logic (PL). Chose a gate (here G1) Chose Fill Water (ATO only) and Circuit 1. Chose Timer 1, Function and. Name the Gate, Hit OK. and do not forgett to save changes
Screen Shot 03-08-17 at 07.13 PM.PNG

• Expand System at the left – expand switch channels and outlets. Chose a socket. Chose function Programmable Logic – gate 1. Name it. If you want a delay of the function if you have had a power fault or if the P4 gone down of other reasons you can use blackout-delay. If you put in 10 minutes – the function will wait 10 minutes before it starts after the P¤ has started agai. Hit OK and do not forget to save Changes
Screen Shot 03-08-17 at 07.20 PM.PNG

Now you can connect your Top Off pump to the chosen socket - and it will work well

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO level sensor and turn on an outlet for a pump to run 30 sec pause and run again until level is reached.
Now you can connect your Top Off pump to the chosen socket - and it will work well

Sincerely Lasse

Screen Shot 03-08-17 at 07.20 PM.PNG

I wanted to do the same thing. I had worked out a solution. However, yours is simpler and more elegant. I will use your solution.

Thanks Again, Bob

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back