Powerheads

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do people use on larger tanks for flow? I thought I had this solved with 2 FX280 Gyres and 2 FX 350 gyres all connected to a Hydros Wave Engine. For months if not close to a year, I can't get my Hydros to connect to the network. At times it won't have any lights on, but the gyres will be at full throttle. Other times the LEDs are on on the wave engine but solid Red. I've tried changing my network settings rebooting the Hydros and then trying to set it up from scratch. But, the app won't see the Hydros wave engine anymore.

With that I no longer have control of the gyres. Since then one of the FX 350s was damaged beyond repair. The magnet was extremely scratched up in the shaft. So, I pulled that gyre. The other three intermittently work with the Hydros Wave Engine.

I don't have time to spend on trying to get equipment to work. What's ironic is my Apex Classic (going on 10 years old) works with 2 X 10 year old EB 8s. I just added an avast plank auto feeder and used the apex to control it and it's working like a charm.

I have a Reefmat 1200 that connects to my network with ease. No issues. I have two MP40s that connect reliably to my network though I set and forget them.

I have 3 AI Hydra 52 lights that all connect to my network and after a couple years of not messing with them I was able to go into the AI app and change things when I wanted to.

So, I may be stuck scrapping my 3 remaining gyres and my Hydros wave Engine. About $1500 just garbage after less than 2 years of use.

I like the flow the gyres give, but I just don't know if they're designed to stand up to salt water. But are any circulation pumps? The wet side covers of my MP40s are slowly disappearing. Looking for any recommendations on Circulation strategy that isn't $1500 every 2 years.

Display is 6ft long by 3 feet wide and 31" tall.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a couple Octopulse 4’s! Would work with the hydros or their new WiFi controller. Only need one controller for 2.

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bad idea. Hydros said they would look at my wave engine if I pay for shipping to and from them since it's out of warranty. So, I'll start there. Once I know if the wave engine is usable without paying for a replacement I'll figure out if the gyres are salvageable or not. Just sucks starting over with powerheads. Seems like nothing new lasts. My skimmer, controller, and return pumps all from ten years ago work great. Anything newer has issues within 1-2 years.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bad idea. Hydros said they would look at my wave engine if I pay for shipping to and from them since it's out of warranty. So, I'll start there. Once I know if the wave engine is usable without paying for a replacement I'll figure out if the gyres are salvageable or not. Just sucks starting over with powerheads. Seems like nothing new lasts. My skimmer, controller, and return pumps all from ten years ago work great. Anything newer has issues within 1-2 years.
The Octopulse powerheads are extremely reliable. I’ve had one for 3 years with no issues and clean it every 2-3 months. Still as quiet and powerful as day one. They are also extremely underrated power wise. I have the Octopulse 2 and it is way stronger than an MP-10. Easily pushes water across my 4 ft display. A lot of people say the Octopulse 4 is stronger than an MP-40 based on their experience; also quieter. Only downside is the cable in the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What do people use on larger tanks for flow? I thought I had this solved with 2 FX280 Gyres and 2 FX 350 gyres all connected to a Hydros Wave Engine. For months if not close to a year, I can't get my Hydros to connect to the network. At times it won't have any lights on, but the gyres will be at full throttle. Other times the LEDs are on on the wave engine but solid Red. I've tried changing my network settings rebooting the Hydros and then trying to set it up from scratch. But, the app won't see the Hydros wave engine anymore.

With that I no longer have control of the gyres. Since then one of the FX 350s was damaged beyond repair. The magnet was extremely scratched up in the shaft. So, I pulled that gyre. The other three intermittently work with the Hydros Wave Engine.

I don't have time to spend on trying to get equipment to work. What's ironic is my Apex Classic (going on 10 years old) works with 2 X 10 year old EB 8s. I just added an avast plank auto feeder and used the apex to control it and it's working like a charm.

I have a Reefmat 1200 that connects to my network with ease. No issues. I have two MP40s that connect reliably to my network though I set and forget them.

I have 3 AI Hydra 52 lights that all connect to my network and after a couple years of not messing with them I was able to go into the AI app and change things when I wanted to.

So, I may be stuck scrapping my 3 remaining gyres and my Hydros wave Engine. About $1500 just garbage after less than 2 years of use.

I like the flow the gyres give, but I just don't know if they're designed to stand up to salt water. But are any circulation pumps? The wet side covers of my MP40s are slowly disappearing. Looking for any recommendations on Circulation strategy that isn't $1500 every 2 years.

Display is 6ft long by 3 feet wide and 31" tall.
Combination of controllable power heads and gyre units

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Combination of controllable power heads and gyre units
I completely agree, that's what I have... 4 gyres, and 2 MP40s. One of the 4 is dead in the water (literally) after around 15 months of use. Another one is on it's way out, and the remaining two are slow to startup.. I can't afford to spend $1000 on replacement powerheads every 15-18 months because the warranties are up...

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 6255. They just move a lot of water without fuss. I have Tunze pumps that are more than a decade old. Nobody beats their reliability and their customer service... if they break, Roger will fix them.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 6 foot tank, Tunze 6105 might be enough. There is a new model coming out with even more flow, so maybe those are good. In any case, then 6255 is more flow than a MP60 and lasts for a long time.

I only clean my Tunze pumps when the coralline starts to cover the grills and flow slows down because of it... so not very often.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a huge tank, it's 3'x2'x12"h and I just set it up for testing...but I'm really liking the AI Neros. I am using the 3s, but the 5s and 7s work in scalar fashion. I probably could have used one Nero5, but I like the back and forth in and out of sync chaos that I am getting here and one nero 3 is cheap to replace, so I don't care.

If you put 3-4 Nero 5s across the back of a 6 foot tank and pulsed them with different off timers per pump so they go in and out of sync, you would be very good. And all you need to do is set them up once with the app, and they do what you tell them. You wont wake up the next day to them doing something else, even after a power outage. I tested that...And the app immediately connects and shows them both every time. It's a lot less BS for a lot less than some of the others out there that seem to be a lot more trouble than they're worth.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two MP40s. Also have some additional AC powerheads I can throw in if needed, but shouldnt

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be runnimg 2 6255's on sea sweeps on my new 60x30x22 acro system. This system will allow me to have no pumps attatched to the back or side wall and more than enough flow.
As a note I ran 2 6095's on the back wall, 2 OW40's, one on each side, along with 2 6105's on each side, so 6 powerheads in my old 120.
The new system will be much more efficient I believe.
20220121_163340.jpg

Last edited:

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be runnimg 2 6255's on sea sweeps on my new 60x30x22 acro system. This system will allow me to have no pumps attatched to the back or side wall and more than enough flow.
As a note I ran 2 6095's on the back wall, 2 OW40's, one on each side, along with 2 6105's on each side, so 6 powwrheads in my old 120.
The new system will be much more efficient I believe.
20220121_163340.jpg
Beautiful tank.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lagoon uses minn kota trolling motors. Way cheapest way to get flow in a big tank I think they were like 99 bucks each.
Would like to see a picture of this setup! Seems like it would be hard to keep fish safe?

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 6 foot tank, Tunze 6105 might be enough. There is a new model coming out with even more flow, so maybe those are good. In any case, then 6255 is more flow than a MP60 and lasts for a long time.

I only clean my Tunze pumps when the coralline starts to cover the grills and flow slows down because of it... so not very often.
Are you talking about the eco models? Or a whole revamp of the 6255? I’m in the market for a couple of Tunze 6255’s on a sea sweep for that perfect random flow. They will be on a 72x30x28 Reef Savvy Aquaruim. These Christmas trees need to come down first.

Attachments

• Resized_20230728_130137.jpeg
    Resized_20230728_130137.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 13

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 6255 that I used last were a few years old. I have not seen the newer ones.

Tunze on Sea Sweeps is a great solution.

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 6255 that I used last were a few years old. I have not seen the newer ones.

Tunze on Sea Sweeps is a great solution.
Yes they are. Wish the sweeps weren’t so expensive but worth the cost. I’ll also have 2 MP60’s for the long ends and 2-4 MP 40’s on the back wall. I already have the MP40/60.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found some Swirls at Reef Garage sales for pretty cheap. You have to go in person and you have to live near a large enough city to make it worthwhile. These are like finding gold nuggets - I snatch them up and hold on to them. It is amazing how well built they are and how long they last. If I ever want to use them as Sweeps, just need to buy or make the holder.

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found some Swirls at Reef Garage sales for pretty cheap. You have to go in person and you have to live near a large enough city to make it worthwhile. These are like finding gold nuggets - I snatch them up and hold on to them. It is amazing how well built they are and how long they last. If I ever want to use them as Sweeps, just need to buy or make the holder.
I missed the chance to get a couple swirls from the person I just bought an IM 20 drop off from. But I would’ve settled because I really wanted the sweeps.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the eco models? Or a whole revamp of the 6255? I’m in the market for a couple of Tunze 6255’s on a sea sweep for that perfect random flow. They will be on a 72x30x28 Reef Savvy Aquaruim. These Christmas trees need to come down first.
The new 6255 which I have use less power. I asked Roger and he suggested getting the new .02 models. Old ones were .01.
This is them mounted on the tank sitting in the garage still.
Not cheap but imo worth it.
No powerheads on the walls and only 2 cords that when setup will run through the sweeps. They should be all I need and will run at 50% with the ability to increase when the tank grows out.
20231230_104309.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back