Predatory feeding question!

Jacob64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little grouper and lionfish in my tank. I'm wondering if it would be harmful to feed them live shrimp from my local bait shop? I do have corals tangs and a trigger the tank as well and don't want to bring anything bad into my tank. But would it be bad to just use them as feeders? They wouldn't last long at all the grouper eats everything. The bait shop is just 5 min away and lfs is 25 so it would be easier if I could feed them shrimp. Much more enjoyable watching them eat live. Thank you!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a problem with it, I feed my predators live although I do get them from the lfs. Inverts would not carry any diseases that would be communicable to fish or transferable to your tank. Are they marine or fresh water shrimp, either way I'd probably at least have a container of fresh de=chlored water or made up salt water to rinse off the bait store water.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fyi, Inverts actually can carry ich and velvet, it can encyst on their exoskeleton. Wouldn't be an issue with freshwater shrimps though

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fyi, Inverts actually can carry ich and velvet, it can encyst on their exoskeleton. Wouldn't be an issue with freshwater shrimps though

The marine shrimp I have gotten were farmed in a system without fish so there would be no exposure to fish diseases. I'm not sure of bait shop, but even if wild caught it's not like what happens in a closed system. The lfs' around here run separate invert systems.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most bait shrimp are a type of brackish grass shrimp. It should be fine.

OP
OP
Jacob64

Jacob64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are from the gulf (live in FL) I can go net them myself if I really felt like it. Bought a few today, rinsed them briefly with some salt water and added them one by one into the tank. I'm going to stay away from them when they open the lake-O locks again. Was horrible for our waters around here. Does anyone know about adding fish caught locally? Would like to add a small yellow tail snapper or scorpion fish from one of the reefs. How would I go about making them safe for my tank, disease and parasite wise

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to qt like any other new addition. Likely run a course of treatment specific to parasites. Check in the fish and disease forum or even post there for more expert advice.

#Humblefish
#melypr1985

Back