Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1626.jpeg

Would you always go for a predrilled tank? Or prefer the standard? What reason?

The standard version plus a hob overflow cost nearly the same as this seapora drilled.

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. pre drilled
2. Standard with overflow
3. AIO>HOB

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pre drilled! My new systems have the overflow on the outside.
I used corner overflows forever but the new ones free up more display space.
I was just thinking the overflow would look nicer on the interior (unless I have some coral growing up that corner — and then I wonder how hard it is to clean, and if your sitting to the side your seeing the tubes.. but seems like less room for error.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I really enjoy the experience of just buying a regular tank and drilling it myself. Its cheaper, and its fun to design the system exactly how you want from beginning to end. Its very hard to find drilled tanks now anyway.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilled is far and away the optimal choice if you want a sump.

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Money not an issue: Pre-drilled
Budget: Standard with overflow
If you have a preference for it: AIO

I'm not a huge fan of HOB (presuming you're using HOB to refer to a sumpless system) from a visual standpoint and the aspect of available space for equipment - kind of my dislike for AIO systems as well, but different strokes for different folks.

Not sure what size tank you're looking at, but Aqueon tanks can pretty regulary be found at 1/2 price or 1$ gallon if you're somewhat patient. Drilling one yourself seems a daunting task, but isn't terrible to do. Puts a 75 gallon and overflow right around $300.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180g rimmed tank that has been running for 8 years using 2 hob overflows. Tank does great and I have never lost syphon. But dang is it noisy. I've never been able to get it quiet. I have 3 other drilled tanks running and all 3 together are quieter than the 180. I've drilled to add an external return pump and it's actually pretty easy to do but all of mine were purchased as systems and already drilled.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Money not an issue: Pre-drilled
Budget: Standard with overflow
If you have a preference for it: AIO

I'm not a huge fan of HOB (presuming you're using HOB to refer to a sumpless system) from a visual standpoint and the aspect of available space for equipment - kind of my dislike for AIO systems as well, but different strokes for different folks.

Not sure what size tank you're looking at, but Aqueon tanks can pretty regulary be found at 1/2 price or 1$ gallon if you're somewhat patient. Drilling one yourself seems a daunting task, but isn't terrible to do. Puts a 75 gallon and overflow right around $300.
We’re doing a 65g seapora.. we were going to do a job overflow to a sump. But the place we’re ordering can do the same tank that’s predrilled with an interior overflow in the corner for only $100 more (cost of a overflow). I don’t exactly love the look because the corner it would sit right next to a chair. But I also heard they’re more reliable. I won’t drill it myself but I’m do torn. What do you think?

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180g rimmed tank that has been running for 8 years using 2 hob overflows. Tank does great and I have never lost syphon. But dang is it noisy. I've never been able to get it quiet. I have 3 other drilled tanks running and all 3 together are quieter than the 180. I've drilled to add an external return pump and it's actually pretty easy to do but all of mine were purchased as systems and already drilled.
Do the drilled systems always look like the one I had pictured? It’s like perfect, but I can’t really get over the big dark corner and interior plumping view that you can’t move

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re doing a 65g seapora.. we were going to do a job overflow to a sump. But the place we’re ordering can do the same tank that’s predrilled with an interior overflow in the corner for only $100 more (cost of a overflow). I don’t exactly love the look because the corner it would sit right next to a chair. But I also heard they’re more reliable. I won’t drill it myself but I’m do torn. What do you think?
Sounds good. You can get a piece of black acrylic and use 3m or velcro to secure it. It will hide the overflow. I did it on my 120 and it works well. Thought I had a better pic but you can zoom to get a better idea.
20201226_181104.jpg

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're sold on the tank brand and size, and don't feel like you can get a better deal, then I think you have your answer. Sometimes size and availability is the determining factor.

I'm not a fan of HOB overflows, simply due to how they move water. Not sure if you know someone with a smidgen of handyman in them, but drilling a tank isn't hard and gives you control over several things - wasted space, where the return and drain are, etc. It's essentially all trade offs.

Are you dead set on this tank?

If so, are you willing to trade viewing space in the display to not have to deal with drilling a tank?

Is the overflow simply converting this into an AIO system, and removing sump as a possiblity? If it is, are you okay with that? *Edit to add: I saw predrilled rereading it - will it be predrilled at the bottom?*

I've kept the approach of - I would rather wait some more time to research/save/etc, than settle for something that will bug me down the line.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the drilled systems always look like the one I had pictured? It’s like perfect, but I can’t really get over the big dark corner and interior plumping view that you can’t move
No they don't. I'm not a fan of the corner overflows, especially a single one. My drilled tanks are waterbox and redsea. They all have internal overflows in the center. The backs are blacked out so the overflow doesn't stand out like the one you show.

This is one I have
Screenshot_20240425-140142.png

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. You can get a piece of black acrylic and use 3m or velcro to secure it. It will hide the overflow. I did it on my 120 and it works well. Thought I had a better pic but you can zoom to get a better idea.
20201226_181104.jpg
That looks great.
If you're sold on the tank brand and size, and don't feel like you can get a better deal, then I think you have your answer. Sometimes size and availability is the determining factor.

I'm not a fan of HOB overflows, simply due to how they move water. Not sure if you know someone with a smidgen of handyman in them, but drilling a tank isn't hard and gives you control over several things - wasted space, where the return and drain are, etc. It's essentially all trade offs.

Are you dead set on this tank?

If so, are you willing to trade viewing space in the display to not have to deal with drilling a tank?

Is the overflow simply converting this into an AIO system, and removing sump as a possiblity? If it is, are you okay with that? *Edit to add: I saw predrilled rereading it - will it be predrilled at the bottom?*

I've kept the approach of - I would rather wait some more time to research/save/etc, than settle for something that will bug me down the line.
IMG_1641.jpeg

We’re already taking a bit of a loss because I was so excited to find a tank that fit the spot (mostly petco type tanks were popping up - or super expensive ones) that I snagged it and they won’t return. This is a 45g, I’m ordering a 65g on order for the same price from a different LFS, and it goes back further to the wall which is perfect. Just at the time I didn’t realize you can order, the first LFS made it sound like what they have is it.

My main hang up with the corner flow is where that blue cushion is, we’re turning it into a bench where the kid can sit, so it takes out a big section of viewing.

This is the first hobby that I didn’t research before I started buying because the kid wanted it done for their birthday this week. And the more I read the more I realized how quickly we were limiting ourselves (like the stand is only 17” high for a sump under, unless I saw a portion of the shelf out but then I wonder about integrity). There’s a ton of things I would have done differently and we haven’t even started (besides a QT tank already).

I can be handy but I’d be afraid to drill a $230 tank.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201226_181104.jpg
This looks great by the way!

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great.

IMG_1641.jpeg

We’re already taking a bit of a loss because I was so excited to find a tank that fit the spot (mostly petco type tanks were popping up - or super expensive ones) that I snagged it and they won’t return. This is a 45g, I’m ordering a 65g on order for the same price from a different LFS, and it goes back further to the wall which is perfect. Just at the time I didn’t realize you can order, the first LFS made it sound like what they have is it.

My main hang up with the corner flow is where that blue cushion is, we’re turning it into a bench where the kid can sit, so it takes out a big section of viewing.

This is the first hobby that I didn’t research before I started buying because the kid wanted it done for their birthday this week. And the more I read the more I realized how quickly we were limiting ourselves (like the stand is only 17” high for a sump under, unless I saw a portion of the shelf out but then I wonder about integrity). There’s a ton of things I would have done differently and we haven’t even started (besides a QT tank already).

I can be handy but I’d be afraid to drill a $230 tank.

Handy is all you really need to be to drill one. Patience is a virtue in many hobbies, this one especially (or so I hear). If you're talking with someone specifically about ordering the overflow tank, ask if they can flip placement of the overflow to the other corner.

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, is the stand all wood construction, or metal frame with the wood just closing in the cabinet? If it's metal framed I wouldn't think twice about removing a section of, or the whole, shelf - exactly what I did as the area my sump is in had about 2.5" of clearance height wise.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the installation and where the tank is in the room.

Built into a wall go standard then drill for a slim overflow box

In most installations I like predrilled with corner overflow or on the back wall. It allows the tank to be close tot he wall and look clean. There nothing worse than a tank with an external overflow box and it's 6in away from the wall for what appears to be no reason.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Handy is all you really need to be to drill one. Patience is a virtue in many hobbies, this one especially (or so I hear). If you're talking with someone specifically about ordering the overflow tank, ask if they can flip placement of the overflow to the other corner.
It’s order like ordering from warehouse, not specific sizes. But I can ask anyways. Can you drill it if you empty part of it later on, or really need to from the start. Drilling a top overflow would be ideal but I’m a bit of a chicken. I’m surprised our local shops don’t do it.

What do you think of the glass canopy’s? Anything else I should think to order with it as an essential?

I’m like working out one step at a time, because I almost ordered a auto top off, ink bird etc and then find out they make things like the apex (still a bit too much I want to spend) but when you price things together maybe it’s not too diffferent.

The sump I was going to diy baffles but the kits on Amazon after buying the tank isn’t too far off from buying a sump. After regretting the tank immediately I feel like I’m over reading to prevent that with other items

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back