Pro Reef salt from Turkey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I came across this thread/information as I had noticed something off with TM salt the last few water changes. My mixing barrel was way dirtier than usual. For me, has anyone had any coral losses due to this issue? I lost a tyree superman tenius, and a rocky balboa frag. The tyree was in my system over a year and had become a mini colony, the rocky balboa frag was two months old. Both corals STN'd over a few days(3-5 days). It has been driving me wild trying to figure out a reason why as I test my tank all the time and run a trident. Nothing was different. I've also lost a few interstellar mushrooms, but wasn't too concerned with that as they seem to grow/multiply all the time. I checked my salt box and it is manufactured in Turkey. As is another box I haven't even opened yet. I think I'm just going to go back HW marinemix salt as I never had issues. Salt is the life blood of our tanks and I can't risk putting this in my tank anymore. Also how does the manufacturer know it won't harm coral or fish? Have they really done that amount of testing already, I find it hard to believe. I appreciate a company being open and honest about a issue, IMO if you have a unopened box they should offer the consumer a full refund. I'm actually going to try and send out a ICP test Monday(if the blizzard isn't too bad here this wkend), to see if anything is really unusual in my tank.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see nothing said about the smell. I just received 3 bags of Red Sea salt because I wanted to do controlled test with different salt myself. I’ve never used anything beside io and tmp and as soon as I open the bag I notice no smell. Yet the tmp smells like chemicals or cleaning supplies imo . Some say like citrus some say like cat pee. I’m sitting on some 2500 gallons worth of Turkish made salt I guess I will just keep using it .

Last edited:

David_Todorov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus ty for being transparent and responding to the members of this community with understanding. I am a long time user of the TM Pro. I always recommended your reef salt to hobbyists and stood by the results clearly shown in the health of my reef system. Always skeptical of people giving advice that don’t show their tanks. However this thread concerns me that the product, manufactured in a new facility has inclusions and may not meet the high level of the standards set by TM Germany. My reef is always a work in progress with a goal of making it the best and healthiest closed ecosystem I can provide. It has taken vast amounts of time, effort, patience, and significant financial expenses to make it possible. I would be devastating to lose everything to a water change. I have a new bucket of Turkish manufactured salt I’m really hesitant to use. Can u please direct me where I can purchase TM Pro salt made in Germany. I want to remain loyal but not at the expense of that slice of the ocean I have in my living room. Ty for the time. Stay safe Happy Reefing from the wet pets
B5BAE51E-40FE-4EBF-BA94-8C21B35AB82F.jpeg
Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking when they see that purple coral in the middle?

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Statement on current supply of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt from our Turkish production facility.

Tropic Marin stands for the highest quality in seawater animal husbandry. Regrettably, in the last few days we have received several complaints that some of our Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt, produced in our Turkish facility, did not meet our exacting optical standards. Our investigation into these complaints has revealed that limited batches of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt may contain a small amount of an insoluble clay mineral impurity that may impact our exacting optical quality standards, resulting in cloudiness, film and/or yellowish or brownish residue in the water. Importantly, we have no evidence that these insoluble clay minerals, causing the cloudiness, are harmful to the animals. Please note that this notice only applies to Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt blended in our facility in Turkey and that the mineral impurity has not been observed in Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt produced in our German facilities or in any of our other products.

In addition to our own investigations, we have commissioned an in-depth analysis from an external laboratory to verify our findings. As a precautionary measure, we have decided to interrupt the production and distribution of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef salts, blended in our facility in Turkey, until further notice. Again, this is purely a precautionary measure and has no impact on Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt produced elsewhere.

We deeply regret any inconvenience this has caused.

Your Tropic Marin® team
Lou, thank you for the follow up and the findings from TM. I also saw it this morning on FB when I woke up. I hope TM will organize some type of recall program.

Only caveat with TM's statement was that It should of not stated that you have no evidence that it is harmful to animals. TM may directly have no evidence yet in the short amount of time to discover the impurity, but there has been enough end user cases that the impurity is irritating and killing corals, if only anecdotal currently. Higher levels that build up over time or large enough system water changes of this impurity may harm animals and it should be noted to be used with caution in reef aquaria.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou, thank you for the follow up and the findings from TM. I also saw it this morning on FB when I woke up. I hope TM will organize some type of recall program.

Only caveat with TM's statement was that It should of not stated that you have no evidence that it is harmful to animals. TM may directly have no evidence yet in the short amount of time to discover the impurity, but there has been enough end user cases that the impurity is irritating and killing corals, if only anecdotal currently. Higher levels that build up over time or large enough system water changes of this impurity may harm animals and it should be noted to be used with caution in reef aquaria.
This is exactly what I’m talking about. No way has there been enough time to conduct enough experiments to say it does not harm our tanks

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has German made and pkgd TM Pro salt. Confirmed w customer service.
thanks for the update...I am still waiting on TM if there is going to be some sort of exchange program...I am also holding on to this unopened box incase TM wants a sample.. I am for sure not gonna put it in my tank every...

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But they “Tropic Marin “ have no evidence yet. Most of it is speculation from other sources and not verified by TM yet!!! TM is really walking a tight rope. Since people asked for official release they provided facts, not speculations. I bet once this is over the Turkey TMP salt will be the most clean and tested salt on the market.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thanks for the update...I am still waiting on TM if there is going to be some sort of exchange program...I am also holding on to this unopened box incase TM wants a sample.. I am for sure not gonna put it in my tank every...
Agree I have a new bucket that I opened before I saw this issue. Mixed up a 5gal bucket and dumped after reading. Tossing it. Not worth the risk. Ordered the German made batch. No issues there and will do a water change when it gets here.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But they “Tropic Marin “ have no evidence yet. Most of it is speculation from other sources and not verified by TM yet!!! TM is really walking a tight rope. Since people asked for official release they provided facts, not speculations. I bet once this is over the Turkey TMP salt will be the most clean and tested salt on the market.
I don’t think they would issue that release unless they were pretty confident there was an issue beyond forum and fb posts.

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It is also a speculation to say it causes no harm. Hence my wording “use with caution.”

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is also a speculation to say it causes no harm. Hence my wording “use with caution.”
What does it mean “use with caution” when discussing salt. You either can use the salt because it is safe or you cannot use the salt. Like a car it is either safe to use or not, cannot have a situation where car manufacturers would say “use the car with caution “ because the breaks might not work!!!! Right now the statement from TM is the salt is safe to use. TM statement not mine.

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What does it mean “use with caution” when discussing salt. You either can use the salt because it is safe or you cannot use the salt. Like a car it is either safe to use or not, cannot have a situation where car manufacturers would say “use the car with caution “ because the breaks might not work!!!! Right now the statement from TM is the salt is safe to use. TM statement not mine.
And that is your right to believe. It is also the right of others who have witnessed adverse effects of using the salt to not believe or use. “Use with caution” meaning that yes the claims are anecdotal currently but there could be an issue since there have been many first hand experiences of such. Also, stopping production sends a clear message of caution. If it was 100% safe and fine production would not stop.

My opinion, and solely is an opinion, is the salt is not safe with the contaminant for sensitive marine animal such as coral, but probably perfect fine and safe in a fish only system. Hence again, “use with caution.”

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do car makers do when users start experiencing similar accidents or issues?.......... I remember several years ago, I had to turn in my infiniti truck because users in the snow states that used salt on their roads were having rust issues under their cars.

Back