flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay all, I went up on a ladder and took these pics. I’m not sure if they help
I do know that as soon as I put the two caps on the surface scum begins to form and goes no where.
1B9EB515-2527-4B9B-B39D-C9E4E3103A2E.jpeg
9C56516A-56E7-4B21-8635-8507A152A0C1.jpeg
7D38BF02-380B-41FF-8F55-29EB11279F20.jpeg
CC5DFE38-DB11-4207-91C8-435170187E43.jpeg

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know that as soon as I put the two caps on the surface scum begins to form and goes no where.\

The pictures are very helpful, thank you. Do you know what your return pump flow is? Also, before cutting any pipes, I’d play with circulation/wave pumps. I see in the pictures you have wavemakers on the side glass. If you have an extra one (even a cheap one), try placing it higher on one side, closer to the water top and see if that improves skimming (with the silencers in the pipes). If it does, that indicates you can fix the issue through wavemaker placement.

Now I have to go to my basement stairs and see what the largest unit I can get into my basement is. My basement stairs are 26.5” wide - 1920s house.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures are very helpful, thank you. Do you know what your return pump flow is? Also, before cutting any pipes, I’d play with circulation/wave pumps. I see in the pictures you have wavemakers on the side glass. If you have an extra one (even a cheap one), try placing it higher on one side, closer to the water top and see if that improves skimming (with the silencers in the pipes). If it does, that indicates you can fix the issue through wavemaker placement.

Now I have to go to my basement stairs and see what the largest unit I can get into my basement is. My basement stairs are 26.5” wide - 1920s house.

The default setup can't handle much flow. But, it doesn't have any trouble keeping the tank warm with the heaters, so that's plenty of flow for me.

Just wish I had bought a much smaller pump. Also very glad I bought a DC pump, because mine is running at about 20%.

I just measured and the 230 is 26.45 inches at it's widest point. I don't think you could get it down without scratching it.

I believe the 200 is the same size, the difference between the 2 is length.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get it skimming the top by removing the caps and I also boosted my pump up a good bit. I can visually see the water dropping down in the overflow.

But at the same time it raised my water height up 1/4" and the water line is about 1 inch from the top. It makes me a little nervous being that close. It might work with the caps on at that level also, but when I put them back on I could see that it wasn't skimming as much off the top.

At any rate, that's probably a fix enough for me. Here shortly I'll probably drop the pump back down and put the caps on.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get it skimming the top by removing the caps and I also boosted my pump up a good bit. I can visually see the water dropping down in the overflow.

But at the same time it raised my water height up 1/4" and the water line is about 1 inch from the top. It makes me a little nervous being that close. It might work with the caps on at that level also, but when I put them back on I could see that it wasn't skimming as much off the top.

At any rate, that's probably a fix enough for me. Here shortly I'll probably drop the pump back down and put the caps on.

Update on this. I put the caps back on and it was still skimming visually. I'm going to leave it at this setting. I have my return pump at FO50/P048. Good bit higher than the the previous setting of F031/P026

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know that as soon as I put the two caps on the surface scum begins to form and goes no where.
1B9EB515-2527-4B9B-B39D-C9E4E3103A2E.jpeg
9C56516A-56E7-4B21-8635-8507A152A0C1.jpeg
7D38BF02-380B-41FF-8F55-29EB11279F20.jpeg
CC5DFE38-DB11-4207-91C8-435170187E43.jpeg
I will say that with the silencer and the caps the system is almost inaudible.

I did raise one a bit and don't really want to go any higher because it then picks up air bubbles during the cycle.
I'll play with the flow later and post results.
Mindme seems to have figured it out.
Good luck with the stairs! You placing the tank in the basement?

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that with the silencer and the caps the system is almost inaudible.

I did raise one a bit and don't really want to go any higher because it then picks up air bubbles during the cycle.
I'll play with the flow later and post results.
Mindme seems to have figured it out.
Good luck with the stairs! You placing the tank in the basement?
Thanks. Yes, basement is the only location I have available. Unfortunately, I realized while researching the measurements that the cabinet comes assembled. There is no way that will turn the corner on the tiny landing we have. I now have two options. Remove the railings and replace them with removable railings. Great option for the future furniture moves as well but a lot of work. Alternatively get a smaller waterbox/Red Sea at the same price point. Their cabinets are flat packed. Ugghhh. Nothing is easy.

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glad you have solved your issue. Just make sure that you have enough space in your display to accommodate the return pump volume of your sump. If your drains get blocked, that’s the amount of extra water that would be pumped up to the display before the return pump runs dry.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yes, basement is the only location I have available. Unfortunately, I realized while researching the measurements that the cabinet comes assembled. There is no way that will turn the corner on the tiny landing we have. I now have two options. Remove the railings and replace them with removable railings. Great option for the future furniture moves as well but a lot of work. Alternatively get a smaller waterbox/Red Sea at the same price point. Their cabinets are flat packed. Ugghhh. Nothing is easy.
I'm sorry to hear this and the stand is not a light weight. You may be able to remove the sump and stand it on end on a dolly or board? Not sure what your ceiling clearance is . You need to clear that 72"

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you have solved your issue. Just make sure that you have enough space in your display to accommodate the return pump volume of your sump. If your drains get blocked, that’s the amount of extra water that would be pumped up to the display before the return pump runs dry.
Not working for me. Tried pumps and adjusting output from return pump
1650A165-4BE0-4F46-A280-3AA30FA5E39D.jpeg
FCE1E465-5796-4A29-86CD-739B8D2CEBC8.jpeg

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I noticed is that they are no longer really that quiet. It's not loud enough to bother me, but they are definitely much louder.

I can look at the overflow slots and see the "waterfall" type effect in them as they spill into the box. With the caps off, there is like a whirlpool you can also see over both holes.

Also the water level in the actually drops back down a little when I put the cap on. The left one I think is getting a syphon going because when I went to pull the cap back off, there was a suction pull to it. No suction on the right drain cap however.

I had to add about 3 gallons of saltwater to make up for the extra flow.

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear this and the stand is not a light weight. You may be able to remove the sump and stand it on end on a dolly or board? Not sure what your ceiling clearance is . You need to clear that 72"
Thanks. There is no way. I’ll be rethinking my plans - most likely downsizing, for which my wallet will thank me.

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I noticed is that they are no longer really that quiet. It's not loud enough to bother me, but they are definitely much louder.

I can look at the overflow slots and see the "waterfall" type effect in them as they spill into the box. With the caps off, there is like a whirlpool you can also see over both holes.

Also the water level in the actually drops back down a little when I put the cap on. The left one I think is getting a syphon going because when I went to pull the cap back off, there was a suction pull to it. No suction on the right drain cap however.

I had to add about 3 gallons of saltwater to make up for the extra flow.
This is something you are probably aware of but be careful not to exceed the drain capacity of individual standpipes. For example, if each drainpipe can handle 500 gph, you want to make sure the total flow is under 500. Otherwise if one of the pipes get clogged, the other one will not be able to cope on its own and you’ll overflow the tank.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something you are probably aware of but be careful not to exceed the drain capacity of individual standpipes. For example, if each drainpipe can handle 500 gph, you want to make sure the total flow is under 500. Otherwise if one of the pipes get clogged, the other one will not be able to cope on its own and you’ll overflow the tank.
Great reminder

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, I ended up slowing it back down last night. But at least I have a way to skim the top off if I need too. It just takes a little while is the only downside.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back