Profilux 4 - Inputs and Outputs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse I really appreciate your feedback. I’m sure there are several points of failure in everyone’s setup. And yes, this will have more than most. But I’m curious to see if it can be done and want to do something different. At the worst, I’ll have some water on the floor. Luckily it’s only a 12g tank. ;)
I'm curious as to why you wouldn't want to use a variable speed return pump to control flow instead of the ball valve? I would think it is more reliable and much cheaper.

Still not sure the Profilux can do it but that is how I would go about it.

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious as to why you wouldn't want to use a variable speed return pump to control flow instead of the ball valve? I would think it is more reliable and much cheaper.

Still not sure the Profilux can do it but that is how I would go about it.

I will be using two variable speed pumps to supply return and flow to the tank, each providing flow to opposite sides of the tank to create a cross current. The variable ball valve is needed because the system will only have one drain line. I could try to balance the drain line with the returns, but doing so goes out the window when I start varying the flow. Basically, I need the ball valve to automatically adjust to the change in flow into the display.

It is probably prudent to note the pumps won't be varying sharply or to drastically large degrees. More or less, I'm shooting for the following:

upload_2019-2-15_13-5-13.png

Very similar to the Tidal Swell mode of the Vortech pumps...

upload_2019-2-15_12-58-49.png

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be using two variable speed pumps to supply return and flow to the tank, each providing flow to opposite sides of the tank to create a cross current. The variable ball valve is needed because the system will only have one drain line. I could try to balance the drain line with the returns, but doing so goes out the window when I start varying the flow. Basically, I need the ball valve to automatically adjust to the change in flow into the display.

It is probably prudent to note the pumps won't be varying sharply or to drastically large degrees. More or less, I'm shooting for the following:

upload_2019-2-15_13-5-13.png

Very similar to the Tidal Swell mode of the Vortech pumps...

upload_2019-2-15_12-58-49.png
Very cool concept!

I'm going to do some playing around with the programming this weekend to see if I can find a possible solution.

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool concept!

I'm going to do some playing around with the programming this weekend to see if I can find a possible solution.
Thanks! I'm hoping it will actually work! If there is a way for the GHL to handle this programming, I'll order a valve and Profilux to test out the concept.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm hoping it will actually work! If there is a way for the GHL to handle this programming, I'll order a valve and Profilux to test out the concept.
I have my doubts but it has me curious.

The more traditional method of doing what you are looking at is with closed loop systems and having the returns/sump on it's own pump. Much cheaper and more reliable but much less interesting!

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my doubts but it has me curious.

The more traditional method of doing what you are looking at is with closed loop systems and having the returns/sump on it's own pump. Much cheaper and more reliable but much less interesting!
If using the temp port is the only way to utilize PTC programming, I thought maybe I would use a level sensor connected through the BNC which reads like temp, but varies with level. I don't really care what the value is, so long as it varies linearly.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using the temp port is the only way to utilize PTC programming, I thought maybe I would use a level sensor connected through the BNC which reads like temp, but varies with level. I don't really care what the value is, so long as it varies linearly.
But the temp port for P4 is digital - not logical as for P3,1x (PT 100 port)

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the temp port for P4 is digital - not logical as for P3,1x (PT 100 port)

Sincerely Lasse
I'm wondering if there is a translation issue with the term digital. It looks like the P4 is set up to accept a 0-10V signal which I believe GHL would call digital. In the US, we would call that analog. Digital would be information sent as a numerical value via a communication protocol.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if there is a translation issue with the term digital. It looks like the P4 is set up to accept a 0-10V signal which I believe GHL would call digital. In the US, we would call that analog. Digital would be information sent as a numerical value via a communication protocol.
Nope - as I understand - the probe is digital the way you describe it (the input is digital) but you can use a 1-10 V signal as an output

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope - as I understand - the probe is digital the way you describe it (the input is digital) but you can use a 1-10 V signal as an output

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks for clarifying! I didn't realize they had a temp sensor with that option. I assumed it was all direct connection to thermocouples or RTD's.

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slap a couple mp10's with a custom flow diverter on the bottom.
But then their would be power heads obstructing the glass! This whole experiment is to determine if I can eliminate everything in the display to have four clean glass panels.

However, if I can't get this to work that's exactly my plan. ;)

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But then their would be power heads obstructing the glass! This whole experiment is to determine if I can eliminate everything in the display to have four clean glass panels.

However, if I can't get this to work that's exactly my plan. ;)
No. Put them on the bottom, build a flow type diversion/ device to point the flow more in the path originally intended by the return lines.

then run a classic closed loop

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Put them on the bottom, build a flow type diversion/ device to point the flow more in the path originally intended by the return lines.

then run a classic closed loop
How would one integrate a sump into a closed loop? I guess I have two expectations for this build, no obstructions around display and sump for standard equipment. Maybe these two goals aren't synonymous?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would one integrate a sump into a closed loop? I guess I have two expectations for this build, no obstructions around display and sump for standard equipment. Maybe these two goals aren't synonymous?
The closed loop systems would be completely separate from the sump. I think this would be a better option anyway. To get enough flow in your DT you would need a lot of flow through your sump which would be noisy. To create the closed loop pipe a "drain" from the tank to the inlet of the pump and then a "return" from the pump to the tank. Do this for each pump. Then use a smaller pump and return to handle flow from the sump back to the tank.

Sticks And Stones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PLM-ADIN card hase two 0-10v input.
But you can only monitor and get alarm.

For exemple i use it to monitor level of two my RO and saltwater tank with pressure sensors.

This sounds interesting. Can you share what pressure sensors you're using and how you're using them to determine water level in your tanks?

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds interesting. Can you share what pressure sensors you're using and how you're using them to determine water level in your tanks?
PRESSURE SENSOR 6KPA 1 PORT 13.5MM - ADP51B62
and
MCP1703-5002E/DB LDO Festspannungsregler 5 Volt 250 mA SOT-223 to get 5V from PLM-ADIN 10V line
And adjust ADC1 and ADC2 value to set true voltage value for full (10.0)and empty (0.00) (i use save sensors settings to file, edit file and restore for that)

https://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/showthread.php?13787-PLM-ADIN-voltage-display-percent-unit

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closed loop systems would be completely separate from the sump. I think this would be a better option anyway. To get enough flow in your DT you would need a lot of flow through your sump which would be noisy. To create the closed loop pipe a "drain" from the tank to the inlet of the pump and then a "return" from the pump to the tank. Do this for each pump. Then use a smaller pump and return to handle flow from the sump back to the tank.
This was the original idea, but without a overflow I’m still looking at a drain in the bottom of the tank.

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PRESSURE SENSOR 6KPA 1 PORT 13.5MM - ADP51B62
and
MCP1703-5002E/DB LDO Festspannungsregler 5 Volt 250 mA SOT-223 to get 5V from PLM-ADIN 10V line
And adjust ADC1 and ADC2 value to set true voltage value for full (10.0)and empty (0.00) (i use save sensors settings to file, edit file and restore for that)

https://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/showthread.php?13787-PLM-ADIN-voltage-display-percent-unit
Fantastic! So GHL is capable of reading a 0-10V signal and it is capable of controlling a 0-10V signal. It seems the questions remains, does the programming function PTC work with these inputs and outputs?

Back