PROFILUX 4 Programming Questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am trying to setup my P4 and given this is my first controller ever it is a very steep learning curve, so hopefully you experts can lend me a hand .

At the moment my questions are these:

1 - I want to program my Skimmer so that it always goes off if the Return Pump is off, and it ALWAYs has a 10min delay at startup. Would really appreciate if you guys could let me know how to do this

2 - Is it possible to have the flow sensor controlling other sockets? Say if flow drops below X some of the sockets would turn off as well?

3 - I have not configured a wifi connection? Any advice? Do I need to do any type of firmware update prior to seeing that up?

Thank you very much!!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your first question you can set it up in a drop down to do this. I will post a short video when I get home this afternoon on how to set it up. I don't have a flow sensor so I can not give you any guidance there.
When you log in to your Profilux with GCC does it say your firmware is up to date.

They did this video on how to update your wifi

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not as simple as @reefwiser makes it seem. Yes you can do it by selecting different options from "drop down" menus but you need to understand how the Programmable Logic works. Until them setting up the skimmer to do those 2 task won't be as easy as it might sound.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your first question you can set it up in a drop down to do this. I will post a short video when I get home this afternoon on how to set it up. I don't have a flow sensor so I can not give you any guidance there.
When you log in to your Profilux with GCC does it say your firmware is up to date.

They did this video on how to update your wifi

Thank you very much! That would be awesome!

Need to check if it says that... not sure where to look but will try it out. I know I updated GCC two weeks ago but according to these videos I am under the impression that the WIFI firmware is separate from GCC?

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question: is Kg/l the same as SG (Conductivity sensor). The reason I ask is because I have a HANNA Portable Refractometer that automatically adjusts for sample temperature (it costs $200US alone) and on that one the PSU level is close to what I see in the Conductivity Probe (both around 34 PSU) but the SG in the HANNA translates to 1.026 whereas the Kg/l on the probe converts to 1,023...???

I have the probe set to take the temperature from the temp sensor in the tank.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right the separated the network firmware so that you could update the computer software over wifi.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not as simple as @reefwiser makes it seem. Yes you can do it by selecting different options from "drop down" menus but you need to understand how the Programmable Logic works. Until them setting up the skimmer to do those 2 task won't be as easy as it might sound.

Actually it can be hard. The biggest problem with any programming is wrapping your head around how things are done. I just do PLC trouble shooting for a living the last 30 years and it is a hobby of mine I have been beta testing software since 1985. I am lucky that I have used Apex and GHL and I like to automate things. I used to do it with simple timers and relay's Now I just fiddle with programming of controllers to get them to do what I want them to do.

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the Programmable Logic manual:
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/programmable-logic-instructions/

It's got explanation for each method.
I ALWAYS recommend you write down exactly what you want. Think out the logic, before you try to dabble and engineer on the fly. How will you get to your resulting condition, then program it.

Copying this from another forum post:
I currently have my feed pause delay for 600 sec and my maintenance delay for 60 secs.

NOTE: the blackout delay only works when the unit loses power.

So you will need 3 programable logics.

G1 FUNCTION is Delayed On INPUT 1 is Filter 1 (Set your desired time for feed pause)
G2 FUNCTION is Delayed On INPUT 1 is Maintenance (Inverted) (Set your desired time for maintenance)
G3 FUNCTION is prog logic 1 AND prog logic 2

Now in the sockets, set your skimmer socket for Prog logic 3

So to recap my settings
I hit FP and both return pump and skimmer shut off. After 10 mins my feed pause is over and my return pump turns back on. My skimmer doesnt turn back on for another 10 minutes after that.
I hit Maintenance and once again my pump and skimmer shut off. After 30 minutes when my return pump turns back on my skimmer stays shut off for an additional minute.

-----------------

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Marco. I do not think this does exactly what I would like (and perhaps what I would like is not possible). I had read the manual and it seemed that DELAYEDON function should do it setting Input 1 as my return pump. However, the only way I found to be able to select the return pump as Input 1 was to set it as stream pump one. I than assigned it as Input one in the G1 programmable logic and than selected this for the skimmer... and nothing worked!

From looking at the manual DELAYEDON should do exactly what I wanted which would be to always turn off the skimmer when return pump turns off (for whatever reason) and than always wait 10min after return pump turning on to turn skimmer on.

The problem is I do not know how to properly assign the return pump to Input 1 on the DELAYEDON function. Clearly I did not do it right. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefwiser, thanks a TON for going through the trouble of putting this video together. However, I must confess that although I know how to repeat what you have made, I do not understand why you did it and how it works... [emoji33].

For example, I do not see how you connect the gate 3 and gate 2 delayed on functions with the and function given you assign Input one and two here...??? Shouldn't it be Inputs 2 and 3 to match the previous gates? And why is filter 1 the first Inp in the G2 function...? Is filter 1 your skimmer? Why invert it? [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

I do not want to have feed or maintenance schedules. I would simply like my skimmer to go off whenever my return pump is off, and always delay the on by 10min after the return turns back on... is this possible?

Kyle Sicard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question: is Kg/l the same as SG (Conductivity sensor). The reason I ask is because I have a HANNA Portable Refractometer that automatically adjusts for sample temperature (it costs $200US alone) and on that one the PSU level is close to what I see in the Conductivity Probe (both around 34 PSU) but the SG in the HANNA translates to 1.026 whereas the Kg/l on the probe converts to 1,023...???

I have the probe set to take the temperature from the temp sensor in the tank.

Do you have a normal refractometer? I would pick one up to use, as I find them most accurate. I get mine from BRS and they ship it with calibration fluid if you buy from them. You can use the refractometer as the reference point where your actual S.G. is and then compare to the hannah and the GHL probe. My refractometer reads my salinity at 1.025 and my GHL probe reads at 1.024 so I trust my GHL probe due to its accuracy being so close to my ATC + calibrated refractometer.

I use to have a digital refractometer and I ended up selling it due to me not trusting it as much as my BRS refractometer.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/refractometer-for-reading-salinity-with-calibration-fluid.html

Also remember that the GHL probe also factors in temperature from the temp probe if I'm not mistaken.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I used to have a normal refractometer but it was not accurate at all. Furthermore for it to read correctly the sample needed to be exactly at 25 C witch is never the case (it changes temp as soon as it hits the glass). Also when you calibrate your refractometer you need to make sure that the calibration fluid temp is exactly at 25 C otherwise it won't be accurate.

Too many variables and exactly why I bought the Hanna. This one is always spot on and it automatically reads the temp of the sample and adjusts accordingly, so that the conversions are spot on. It is one of my best purchases and I would recommend it to anyone [emoji4].

I have found a thread where Randy Holmes and Boomer actually explain why kg/l is not the same as SG, and the number seem to match what I am seeing so I am happy. I will see if I can post it here but I think it is from another forum.

Thanks!

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MyGHL up and running [emoji4]

32f2fef8b74a7fdc3daf6611fbf4d695.png

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the Refractometer I am using

hanna giveaway2.jpg

Hanna Water Care Giveaway

Hanna Instruments care about the success of your saltwater aquarium! It's been said that saltwater aquarium keepers are not keepers of coral or fish but rather keepers of water! That's why Hanna not only cares about you but cares about your water! Hanna Instruments has a history of developing innovative products that make analytical measurements easier to perform at an affordable price. Many innovations introduced by Hanna are now the norm for the instrumentation industry.

How to Enter:

Contestants would have to do at least 2 of these or more for bonus entries to increase chances of winning. You may complete two of the following entry methods or complete them all for multiple entries!

1. Name (or tag if they are on reef2reef) a Local Fish Store that carries Hanna products or you want to have carry Hanna products.

2. LIKE the Hanna Facebook Page Here and FOLLOW the Hanna Instagram Page Here.

3. Leave a review. If you have owned or own Hanna products you can leave a review on the product page of the item you own. Only leave a review if you have experience with a certain product please. Here is a list of the more popular Hanna product pages: Phosphate Phosphorus Calcium Alkalinity Alkalinity Nitrite PH Tester Digital Refractometer Pocket PH Tester

4. Create a post on social media showing a Hanna product and your aquarium. Make sure to tag hanna_aqua Facebook and/or Instagram and use the hashtags #hannareef2reef #hannaaqua #hannachecker Here is a link to the Hanna popular products sections. http://pages.hannainst.com/aquarium-testing#charts

*Once you have completed your entries you will need to create separate posts in this thread stating that you completed the bonus entries. A total of three (4) entries are possible so you would have three (4) separate posts if you completed all entries. Winner will be subject to verifying that the requirements were met in a timely manner.

The Prize:

The winner will receive a Hanna Water Care Prize Kit shipped to your door!

HI96822 Digital Seawater Refractometer
HI70436 Deionized Water
HI731318 Microfiber Cloths
HI98308-Pure Water Tester

Total MSRP value- $269
Hanna Prize.jpg

Thanks again to Hanna Instruments for this awesome giveaway!

*Please note the contest is open until August 17th*

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the same refractometer It can be off a few degree's so I test and clean it a lot to keep it close to calibration.The Hanna unit is made by Milwaukee.:)
I have testing equipment to test my testing equipment.
I still use a Tropic Marin high precision hydrometer You can never have enough back up testing equipment.
31wbLcooXcL._SX342_.jpg

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f

I do not want to have feed or maintenance schedules. I would simply like my skimmer to go off whenever my return pump is off, and always delay the on by 10min after the return turns back on... is this possible?

I will look at this and post a video on it this afternoon.:)

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will look at this and post a video on it this afternoon.:)

Thanks ! Much appreciated!!! It should be so easy... I clearly miss the logic of programable logic (sorry, could not resit ) but to me it should be as simple as:

1 - Use DELAYEDON function for the skimmer

2 - Set the return pump as the input for this function

Voilá!

Unfortunately when I tried it it did not work...

To begin with, to set return pump as input 1 I believe I would need to set the return pump as a stream pump, otherwise I do not see an option to select it from the drop down box in "Input 1".

When I did this, the strangest thing happened: both the return pump and the skimmer turned off. Than I clicked on "invert" in the return pump and it started working (why???) but not the skimmer...

Oh well, I will be waiting for your video later on.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back