Project 180

ldmiller8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ladies and gentleman,

Welcome to my build project log. I will detailed information regarding my new Marine aquarium. As a member and a hobbyist, this will be the ultimate tank in my 35 years of 20 of them in raising freshwater fish. I am fairly new to the marine side of the house so every step and procedure will be a learning theme which hopefully I can gain the confidence and experience needed to harvest a healthy coral reef tank.

Stay tuned for UPDATES:

OP
OP
L

ldmiller8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt water marine aquarium list of equipment:

Tank:

Aquariums > Clear for Life Rectangular w/dark blue background
180 Gal Rectangular Acrylic Tank 72"x 24"x 24"Tall

Stands > Rectangular > LS Oak (Oak color match TBD)
180-225 Gal. LS Oak Stand 72" X 24" X 30" TALL

Canopies > Rectangular > LS Oak
LS Oak Canopy 72" X 24" X 7" TALL

Links:
MyFishTank - Product List [ Aquariums > Rectangular ]
MyFishTank - Product List [ Stands > Rectangular > LS Oak ]
MyFishTank - Product List [ Canopies > Rectangular > LS Oak ]

OP
OP
L

ldmiller8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update with a possible discussion read, since water changes in a marine aquarium is very important, I have decided that I will be making my own saltwater with the use of an RO/DI system. Looking online and price shopping I think that the best option for my 180g aquarium will be the Captive Purity Deluxe. I haven’t decided on the location on where to set up the RO - but I think I have two places in mind. Ether run the system from my garage with the 75gal containers where I can do my mixing running the hose under the floor to my basements water supply piping or incorporate the RO system under my kitchen sink and just run the lines into the garage to the 75gal containers. I haven’t decided on the location yet, but as I continue to research this, I do plan on getting a kitchen makeover so running lines into the garage since is right behind the kitchen/living room wall shouldn't really be a huge issue. Please if anyone has any ideas or suggestions feel free to discuss this with me I would really appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Captive Purity Pro RO/DI Filter System - Clear Canisters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking forward to pics and updates!

OP
OP
L

ldmiller8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im still overseas(Afghanistan) at the moment, as soon as I get back the construction will proceeds =) cant wait..

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be following your progress! :)

OP
OP
L

ldmiller8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
URL]

Amazing sump ideas

FS: Ultra Premium Euro Style Custom Sump - Reef Central Online Community

OP
OP
L

ldmiller8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update to my project. I just got back from vacation n Aruba a beautiful place that I highly recommend that everyone visits in their lifetime. Did a lot of snorkeling and took many underwater photos of the marine life. Also did an underwater Submarine tour down to 135ft below the ocean, seen everything from beautiful bright coral to two sunken vessels. The trip was the best time of our lives. I manage to bring back with me to the U.S. about 80-90lbs of white fossil coral. Man I was so nervous going through Customs, but I had no problem with them packed in my suitcase. I will use some of these corals for my fish only tank. I plan on doing two marine tanks This 180 gal project and smaller 55-80gal tank as well. Enjoy my Pics.
aruba1.jpg
coral1.jpg
sub2.jpg
sub3.jpg

Attachments

• sub.jpg
    sub.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 164
OP
OP
L

ldmiller8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more pics

Attachments

• GOPR0336.jpg
    GOPR0336.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 175
  • GOPR0332.jpg
    GOPR0332.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 180
  • GOPR0288.jpg
    GOPR0288.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 164
  • GOPR0294.jpg
    GOPR0294.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 162
  • GOPR0266.jpg
    GOPR0266.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 173
OP
OP
L

ldmiller8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first part for my project ordered.. BRS 5 Stage Water Saver PLUS RO/DI System - 150GPD, got it on sale. This will be the baseline of my water supply. Once im back home in the states, i will have this plumed into my water system with the supplied marine water supply stationary in my garage.

BRS 5 Stage Water Saver PLUS RO/DI System - 150GPD - Bulk Reef Supply

I also found a site where i will be outsorceing my Tank and some suplies. I should have the tank once i get my new floor installed at my house.

180 Gallon Rectangular Acrylic Aquarium 72x24x24,180 Gallon Aquarium,Acrylic Aquarium,Acrylic Fish tank,Fish tank,

here is the woodwork that sold me on this site.

Next step is to find an adequate protein skimmer that will work along with my 45gal ADHI Refugium. I was thinking the AquaC 180.. any thoughts anyone?

Aqua C - EV 180 Protein Skimmer Tank Size 80-200 gallons
woodwork.jpg

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the bubble magus curve line... Maybe you should take a look at the bubble magus curve 9. I been more than impressed with my curve 5. Or, check out seaside aquatics version with the reliable sicce pump.

I'm no skimmer guru, but I have literally been blown away with the efficiency and performance of this skimmer.

OP
OP
L

ldmiller8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up/Update:

Do to weight concerns; the 180 will have to be put on hold until my basement project is completed. In the meantime, I have decided to go nano for the time being to learn the marine/bio life system then move up to the 180 afterwards.

I just place an order for the Innovative NUVO Fusion 20gal and I plan to do custom filtration using a refugium with custom pluming. I should be returning to the US soon to begin the project of my 1st marine aquarium.

Innovative Marine 20 Gallon NUVO Fusion Nano Aquarium (Tank Only)

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back