Protein Skimmer Plumbing

Jsper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently in the process of setting up a 95 gallon tempered glass tank. I can't drill it and I'm apprehensive about setting up a siphon to a sump so I am planning on using a Fluval Fx6 as my main filtration.
However, I'm not sure what to do in terms of a skimmer. Would it be possible to run a manifold off of the return line from the filter and connect an external skimmer to that?
I was also planning on running the filter output through a chiller before it returns to the aquarium and would like to know if that would work.

Let me know what you think I should do for filtration.
If it's relevant, it's going to be a coldwater tank.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, dont have much experience with stuff like this but have you looked into getting a hang on the back overflow. I think this would make your situation much easier and expose you to more possibilities for filtration with the sump. This also just allows more room for play in the future.

I think its definitely possible to plumb a manifold off of the return line and even do some hard plumping with it. However, the biggest concern with setting up a protein skimmer with a manifold with this filter is the flow rate. How much is the flow rate going to be affected by plumping off of the fluval canister to the skimmer.

Have you looked maybe into HOB skimmers?

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would end up having to hang it on the tank anyway since it would overflow unless the water level is stabilized with the with the water level in the tank. Essentially you are just using a Fluval as the feed pump on a HOB skimmer. And I it couldn’t have backpressure, so it would have to be after the chiller. Overall I think it would be tricky since water levels are critical to skimmers and I could see that changing often as the filter or chiller causes changes in flow, plus filtering water before entering a skimmer is counterproductive. Plumbed skimmers are typically run as recirculating setups off the drain lines to sumps.

I would just have an independent quality HOB skimmer. Unfortunately that is the sacrifice with a well equipped sumpless setup, you just have to deal with more stuff on the tank.

Last edited:

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds really complicated to go that route. I would look into a good hob skimmer.

Or just go without a skimmer.

Here's a really AWESOME tank that runs on canister filter

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hob overflow is the way to go. You can’t use the fluval for skimmer. A hob skimmer is ime more likely to cause an overflow than a well sized overflow. Plus a sump has other advantages

Billys_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just go with a hob overflow. Been running the eshopps one for years without any issues. If you're worried, you can always just install a float valve in the display so if it ever overflows, atleast it'll cut power to your return pump

OP
OP
Jsper

Jsper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds really complicated to go that route. I would look into a good hob skimmer.

Or just go without a skimmer.

Here's a really AWESOME tank that runs on canister filter

That does look really good. Do you know where I can find more info on his setup?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look really good. Do you know where I can find more info on his setup?
His youtube channel

He also did a live stream with the Reefdudes channel where they went into detail about exactly how the canister filter and dosing is set up

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB overflows have been a staple in the hobby for years. Some models allow you to connect a small pump (aqualifter is the go-to) to the U tube to re-establish a siphon in the event it's lost.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back