Proteus Reef: 10g SPS Nano Tank [As seen on YouTube!]

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they still hosting the duncan? My host a powerhead...

OP
OP
discchord

discchord

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I'm planning on doing a short video to show this off. It is so funny and ADORABLE!

OP
OP
discchord

discchord

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank I'm 2.5 weeks into my nano adventure so I can't wait to see how this turns out

Thanks! The first few months were rough. Now that things are stabilized and maturing I am greatly enjoying my tank every single day.

Be prepared for set backs, and be committed to doing your water chemistry tests regularly! Eventually it will get much easier!

OP
OP
discchord

discchord

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January 2018:

The tank has been going for 6 months, and has managed to keep fish alive for the last 2 of those! I'm now out of the woods yet though and continue to have some challenges keeping the water chemistry stable in this 10 Gallon Nano!

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again great video! Carbon dosing has it's benefits. Although, It's something I probably wouldn't do with a 10g nano but I think you'll figure it out. You are right, staying slow and steady creates stability. If it's nutrients you are trying to battle, water changes are a nanos biggest correcter. I think for now, if nutrients rise without carbon dosing, only feed fish. Ignore feeding coral for awhile. Stay on top of weekly water changes. 5%-10% should suffice. If you are going to perform more than 10% it's important that the new water has been tested and matches the tank water. Ca, Alk, and Mag should match. Also, since chemistry was fluctuating and some coral died off, might want to add some GAC(granulated activated carbon). That will absorb any extra DOCs(dissolved organic carbons) and any toxins that were released. There is a good chance that you'll have to switch GAC out once a week for a few weeks. GAC doesn't last long in reefs and can exhaust pretty quick. 2 weeks is typically my longest period between change outs. If things start getting back to normal, you can remove the GAC and rely on water changes for water clarity. Good luck! Things are look good.

PS I'm even more jealous now about the clowns hosting the duncan.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Crazy build buddy, your little nano cost more than my 108g build. Keep up the work. Love to see updates

OP
OP
discchord

discchord

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again great video! Carbon dosing has it's benefits. Although, It's something I probably wouldn't do with a 10g nano but I think you'll figure it out.

Yeah, I am increasingly inclined to remove the carbon dosing all together... but it does such a good job of keeping my nutrients low and my tank algae free. You're absolutely right though, in this volume a 5% water change is a huge reduction in and of itself.

That was some good advice on GAC. I wish I had known of it at the time, but the acro and lepto died a month ago so it is probably too late now. I'll keep that in mind for future reference!

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its ideal to keep measureable po4 in the ppm range and no3 between 2-10. Sps coral in general benefit having nutrients in the water column as they don't generally feed like lps or softies. They more or less absorb via photosynthesis and through calcification. If you having problems with sps it could be too high of alk(which dictates rate of absorption) or not enough nutrient to sustain its rate of absorption.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back