puffer tank size recommendations

enthb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious on why when I go to LA to check appropriate tank sizes for puffers such as arothron, dogface, and porcupine the tanks sizes in order are 125, 150, and 180. The arothron is listed as 1'7", the dogface is 1'1", and the porc is 1'. Why such a discrepancy in tank sizes when all get large but the largest has the smallest tank recommended? Was interested in a puffer but confused about this.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porcupine can get really big, I like them, have never had one. I would think the bigger the better. The ones I have seen diving I would be thinking 500 gallon. Those valentino puffers would probably do fine 125 150. Hopefully someone who has had one will be able to tell you.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dogface is an arothron puffer and likely is the puffer that has a recommended tank size of 125g, they tend to be realatively docile and pretty lazy, although does eat alot and make alot of waste. Some other arothron puffers like the stars and stripes, and the guinea fowl(one common name that also does include the golden puffer) gets larger and uses much more real estate than a dogface puffer. Those along with the porc I wouldnt put in less than a 180. The porc usually gets pretty aggressive and nippy and really needs a large lightly stocked tank. You always bave to plan for you choices as a mature species, not only in size but also in aggression.

OP
OP
E

enthb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks for the replies. Yeah I meant to refer to the arothorn meleagris or golden when i said it got 1'7" and a 125 was recommended.I know live aquaria is usually pretty good about tank size just thought it was strange they suggested a 125 for it and larger for the others

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back