Puffer

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Ever since I snagged this mappa puffer from DD, he’s always been pudgy and swims with his tail wrapped around his body. He’s been in my QT since Day 1 and I’m using API GC, well, because puffers almost always come with internal parasites plus its poop is white which is symptomatic of intestinal parasites (or so I’ve been told). I’ve been feeding it krill and it’s doing fine until yesterday when it started becoming lethargic. Now it tends to just lay on flat surface and not move much. Does anyone know why it’s pudgy, swims with tail wrapped, and lethargic? Sorry, I’ve never taken care of puffers before so I’d like to know as much as possible.

524A279F-7C06-4892-A9E0-3FB0517D448F.jpeg

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely mix up his diet. I have a Porcupine thats doing great for about 7 years. He gets LRS, clams, shrimp, Krill, squid mixed up each day and a small Nori sheet every day. I figure they get a lot of algae in the wild from the rocks/coral they bite. Something that you never hear discussed. I watch the puffers biting the rocks along the marina in Cabo San Lucas all the time. Make sure his teeth are not overgrown. They have a very hard time eating if their mouth can't open all the way. I feed mine with custom made tweezers I made with diamond dust coating to grind his teeth at every feeding. I don't feed him a lot. Just two or three small pieces a day. The nori makes up the rest. Hes about five times his original size, so he's growing, but still only about 6". You could also try feeding him at night a few hours after lights out if he's out. That way no competition from tank mates. Mine is out and about every night and comes right to the front glass if I walk by.

Last edited:

Sorcha2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want a puffer I'd suggest starting a small fresh or brackish water tank. There are several varieties of small fresh and brackish puffers that stay pretty tiny and have great personalities.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue spot and valentini puffer in my mixed reef (euphyllia, monti caps, and acros). No issues with nipping, but YMMV.

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for a mappa puffer to change to a completely dark color for more than a few days? Mine turns black for a few hours between feedings but it would change to its beautiful scribbled self the rest of the time. But two days ago, it’s stayed black thru-out the day. Its appetite hasn’t changed though. I’m just curious as to why it would stay black for so long. Anyone know?

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for a mappa puffer to change to a completely dark color for more than a few days? Mine turns black for a few hours between feedings but it would change to its beautiful scribbled self the rest of the time. But two days ago, it’s stayed black thru-out the day. Its appetite hasn’t changed though. I’m just curious as to why it would stay black for so long. Anyone know?

Mine has stayed black or dark for two days but eats and now is swimming around.. Just weird.... Lol....

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They can change color on the fly around depending on their mood....

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So by turning dark, is my mappa emo? Lol

Yes...emotional...
8dc4ec31ab5aa10707a87db4c070a5da.jpg

Now he is dark.. But eating not a mark on him nobody bothering him...I put him in 60 gallon by himself and just fine.. Stayed dark in there so put back in display tank...

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines getting better.. Yours looks healthy...
Hmmm sarcasm or trollololololol? Doesn’t matter either way. I posted my inquiry to gain some insight into my mappa’s current behavior. Didn’t expect it to turn into a ticking contest

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm sarcasm or trollololololol? Doesn’t matter either way. I posted my inquiry to gain some insight into my mappa’s current behavior. Didn’t expect it to turn into a ******* contest

Did I say something wrong? Just saying your looks healthy even though dark... Just like mine... Dark but healthy....I know they change colors depending on mood and surroundings.. I meant nothing else...

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I say something wrong? Just saying your looks healthy even though dark... Just like mine... Dark but healthy....I know they change colors depending on mood and surroundings.. I meant nothing else...

I was wondering the same thing.

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for snapping at you earlier. I’d misread the quote. Since my last rant (3/17), my mappa stayed dark even after transferring from QT to DT. Now I’m starting to worry if there’s anything wrong with it. Granted, it’s eating fine and will occasionally take a swim around the DT, but most of the time, it’s just sitting (?) on top of the power head. Is this “typical” mappa behavior (aka laziness) or a sign of something else?

5C6A5F77-E3F0-46CC-881D-9FF0F5046868.jpeg

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for snapping at you earlier. I’d misread the quote. Since my last rant (3/17), my mappa stayed dark even after transferring from QT to DT. Now I’m starting to worry if there’s anything wrong with it. Granted, it’s eating fine and will occasionally take a swim around the DT, but most of the time, it’s just sitting (?) on top of the power head. Is this “typical” mappa behavior (aka laziness) or a sign of something else?

5C6A5F77-E3F0-46CC-881D-9FF0F5046868.jpeg

Let me have some more pictures from u.. And no problem. I think it's laziness.. Mine was dark and lazy but ate.. I traded it in for another mappa.. They are definitely notoriously known for being lazy..

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back