Purchased 57wt Aqua UV - requesting direction

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, recently purchased what is described above.
I am going to have this mounted some what over the fuge/sump in case of any leaks (I don’t like closed loop systems tbh)

Anyways, the return from uv to system, do you usually have that dump into return area from fuge to DT or do you plumb it directly to DT?

I would rather dump it into the fuge again but would like to know if that’s possible

basically water would come to sump from DT, into filter socks, some of that water will be picked up by the uv pump, some just flows through to skimmer and fuge area of sump

would having that return from UV drop into return area for pump to DT be feasible or am I dealing with potential for disaster?

Saltysav96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive got my 25watt uv mounted on the back wall of my stand over my sump. sicce 3.0 pulls from the skimmer area and i have the output dumping back into the return pump area.

swallace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are alot of threads discussing this and you will generally find varying opinions. Most of the advice that i've seen indicates that you should have your UV on a separate pump and that you should dump the output directly back into the DT so that you are not double processing the same water.

With that said - that is the route that I took. I have a separate pump in my return area that feeds the UV, once its processed it goes directly to my DT.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMO, you would have no issues other that you would be recycling some of the UV water which has already passed through once as mentioned above. Mine goes from sump through UV into DT.

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the flow chart for a reef tank correct in the manual?

2100-3200 gph for a reef tank? Is that more a per gallon mark or wattage metric?
I have about 250-260 total volume in gallons

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the flow chart for a reef tank correct in the manual?

2100-3200 gph for a reef tank? Is that more a per gallon mark or wattage metric?
I have about 250-260 total volume in gallons
Had the same question when I purchased mine. LFS states to use the
90,000 μw/cm2 (EOL) GPH numbers which equates to a max of 1,066 gph for algae control, even slower for parasites.

See post #50 in this thread for installation suggestions: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...ounted-horizontally-over-a-sump.908016/page-3

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
30-45k dose will sterilize algae. 75-90k dose will sterilize Protozoa. If you hit the 90k dose you are well above the 45k, so algae is also controlled. Note that AquaUV defines their dose at end of tube life (14 month)

Algae reproduces faster, so you want a tank turnover of 5-10x. Protozoa reproduce slower so a tank turnover of 2.5-4x is sufficient. If you hit 5-10x you will be effectively controlling both protozoa and algae.

Example:
My system is ~140 gallon total. I am running ~1k gph through the return. 57W in line with the return. At 1k gph I am getting 90k+ dose and ~7x turnover.

Note that UV will also sterilize other things. The larger the organism the higher the dose required for sterilization. If you dose bacteria, turn off the UV for a few hours to let it settle out of the water. Copepods are large enough to make it through, but they may be sterilized (unable to reproduce). But generally you will have many in the DT and fuge, so it does not matter.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back