Quarantine Help!

PinayPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a new helfrichi firefish from LA DD arriving today and I’m really torn on the best course of action for QT. I’m new to this and I’m really trying to take the right QT steps here but the last few groups of fish have not done well in QT. I’m really sorry for the long post but here is alllllll the background info in case any of it might help:

I have 75g display that only has clowns and chromis, which all did really well in our 1st QT process. We didn’t prophylactically treat any fish in that group and just planned to observe and treat if necessary. I temp acclimate all fish in their bags before QT and then I drip acclimate each one also. In that time I got a lyretail anthia from LFS which later appeared to have ich, and was treated in a separate QT. Unfortunately she didn’t survive the 2nd dose of Super Ick Cure from API—although if I had to guess I would say it was most likely result of secondary infection.

The other fish all seemed fine so we moved them to display after their 1mos and left the ich QT fallow for a week. I received 3 fish from LA (not the DD): Exquisite wrasse, Katherine wrasse, and Helfrichi firefish. We did the same thing – no meds and just observed in the original (non-ich) QT. For 10days they were all thriving and eating well, and then I went to feed them and found the firefish dead, the exquisite wrasse was struggling- labored breathing & flashing before quickly dying, all the while the katherine’s wrasse seemed completely fine. Parameters were all within normal limits, and I didn’t have any meds on hand but I got some prazi pro on my lunch hour but it was already too late – katherine’s wrasse died later that evening before I could treat it.

So big strikeout with that group but we decided moving forward to just prophylactically treat any new fish just to be safe. Used our refund credits & get a Midas blenny, Pintail wrasse, and Red velvet wrasse from LA DD, and 2 chromis (not from the DD). One chromis arrived DOA, but the other seemed ok.

Prior to getting the fish we researched and reset the ich tank – thoroughly cleaned every single thing in there with vinegar & left to dry. Reset tank using Stability and seeded sponge from Coral/Invert QT (which btw corals are all thriving thank God), also placed a small powerhead in there since I read more oxygen might help when dosing certain meds. Looking back we did not take those steps however with the other QT tank, we only did a complete water change & I even forgot to remove the sponge bubbler.

We went ahead and bought a bunch of different meds on sale to have on hand, and used the Prazipro on the fish in the display because why not. All did well with both Prazi doses, and still thriving. We placed the Red Velvet wrasse & the chromis together in the previously Ich hospital tank. Didn’t treat with anything right away, wanted to make sure eating well first. Red velvet never showed any specific symptoms but the chromis died on day 3 (I honestly was not surprised – it wasn’t from DD and the other chromis didn’t even survive transport). So we dosed with prazi per label directions. I was apprehensive about this though since I had seen posts that wrasses may be sensitive to prazi. It died after the first dose! Parameters were all within normal limits.

Meanwhile the blenny & and pintail were doing ok, both eating well—I wanted to wait to dose anything until the blenny became better adjusted. Both seemed fine for several days, and then yesterday the blenny was behaving strangely-gasping and flashing. We did a 40% water change and dosed with General Cure per package directions. The blenny survived the night, but the Pintail was dead this morning! Is it something I am missing or are certain wrasses just extra sensitive to Prazi meds?

Now over the weekend I bought several frags from WWC sale which will be arriving today, and I used my credit and ordered another Helfrichi firefish (this time from DD) which will be arriving today also. I could really use some advice on how/where I should QT this fish. I’m apprehensive about putting it in medicated tank with the blenny. The other tank has only been fallow for 4days, and I’m nervous about trying to reset it for the firefish if the same thing is going to happen. My only other options are to put the firefish in the coral tank after I move the current corals and inverts into the display. I’d rather not do that and keep all the current & any new corals in their QT after dipping, esp since what we’ve been doing with the corals has been working well. We do have a sump without anything in the Fuge yet, I guess maybe we could put the corals/inverts in there with their light… and put the firefish by itself in what’s currently the frag tank. Idk please help, i don't want to lose any more fish! Thanks

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe unrelated, there are people who sell qted fish for a higher price , for a peace of mind !

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you even letting these tanks cycle before adding new livestock? If not, ammonia poisoning may be the culprit. And if not that, velvet or uronema. Symptoms?

OP
OP
PinayPanda

PinayPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you even letting these tanks cycle before adding new livestock? If not, ammonia poisoning may be the culprit. And if not that, velvet or uronema. Symptoms?
I made sure all tanks were cycled. And only symptoms any ever showed were labored breathing, gasping, & flashing. So that made think Flukes or other parasite.

OP
OP
PinayPanda

PinayPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like something wrong with your QT process. How long do the credits last? You seem rushed to replace the fish with no where good to put it.

Seems like possible ammonia poisoning? Fish will flash from ammonia too.

I run a fully cycled live rock with macro algae and pods QT tank where I use prazi and maybe general cure in foods. Otherwise I just observe.

I have a second hospital tank if the fish show velvet or ich...etc. It is also fully cycled with a sponge filter and sand.

I would probably move the frags and put it on that tank if it's ready to go. A tight fitting lid is a must.

FYI a long drip on shipped fish may expose them to ammonia. They are in those bags over night and you open them and pH rises which causes ammonia to be more toxic.

saldebo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are seeing stress and all water and temp perimeter are good.

My best guess would be your heater or pumps are send electricity to tank.

Get a multi meter and put the tips in.

Check with your hand for current, but usually you need a small cut to feel it. Plus, heater turn on and off, so ensure it is on when checking.

If your heater is fully submerged, try putting to power core upward and out of the water.

If you are buying from a good source, you should nt have to use QT

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a new helfrichi firefish from LA DD arriving today and I’m really torn on the best course of action for QT. I’m new to this and I’m really trying to take the right QT steps here but the last few groups of fish have not done well in QT. I’m really sorry for the long post but here is alllllll the background info in case any of it might help:

I have 75g display that only has clowns and chromis, which all did really well in our 1st QT process. We didn’t prophylactically treat any fish in that group and just planned to observe and treat if necessary. I temp acclimate all fish in their bags before QT and then I drip acclimate each one also. In that time I got a lyretail anthia from LFS which later appeared to have ich, and was treated in a separate QT. Unfortunately she didn’t survive the 2nd dose of Super Ick Cure from API—although if I had to guess I would say it was most likely result of secondary infection.

The other fish all seemed fine so we moved them to display after their 1mos and left the ich QT fallow for a week. I received 3 fish from LA (not the DD): Exquisite wrasse, Katherine wrasse, and Helfrichi firefish. We did the same thing – no meds and just observed in the original (non-ich) QT. For 10days they were all thriving and eating well, and then I went to feed them and found the firefish dead, the exquisite wrasse was struggling- labored breathing & flashing before quickly dying, all the while the katherine’s wrasse seemed completely fine. Parameters were all within normal limits, and I didn’t have any meds on hand but I got some prazi pro on my lunch hour but it was already too late – katherine’s wrasse died later that evening before I could treat it.

So big strikeout with that group but we decided moving forward to just prophylactically treat any new fish just to be safe. Used our refund credits & get a Midas blenny, Pintail wrasse, and Red velvet wrasse from LA DD, and 2 chromis (not from the DD). One chromis arrived DOA, but the other seemed ok.

Prior to getting the fish we researched and reset the ich tank – thoroughly cleaned every single thing in there with vinegar & left to dry. Reset tank using Stability and seeded sponge from Coral/Invert QT (which btw corals are all thriving thank God), also placed a small powerhead in there since I read more oxygen might help when dosing certain meds. Looking back we did not take those steps however with the other QT tank, we only did a complete water change & I even forgot to remove the sponge bubbler.

We went ahead and bought a bunch of different meds on sale to have on hand, and used the Prazipro on the fish in the display because why not. All did well with both Prazi doses, and still thriving. We placed the Red Velvet wrasse & the chromis together in the previously Ich hospital tank. Didn’t treat with anything right away, wanted to make sure eating well first. Red velvet never showed any specific symptoms but the chromis died on day 3 (I honestly was not surprised – it wasn’t from DD and the other chromis didn’t even survive transport). So we dosed with prazi per label directions. I was apprehensive about this though since I had seen posts that wrasses may be sensitive to prazi. It died after the first dose! Parameters were all within normal limits.

Meanwhile the blenny & and pintail were doing ok, both eating well—I wanted to wait to dose anything until the blenny became better adjusted. Both seemed fine for several days, and then yesterday the blenny was behaving strangely-gasping and flashing. We did a 40% water change and dosed with General Cure per package directions. The blenny survived the night, but the Pintail was dead this morning! Is it something I am missing or are certain wrasses just extra sensitive to Prazi meds?

Now over the weekend I bought several frags from WWC sale which will be arriving today, and I used my credit and ordered another Helfrichi firefish (this time from DD) which will be arriving today also. I could really use some advice on how/where I should QT this fish. I’m apprehensive about putting it in medicated tank with the blenny. The other tank has only been fallow for 4days, and I’m nervous about trying to reset it for the firefish if the same thing is going to happen. My only other options are to put the firefish in the coral tank after I move the current corals and inverts into the display. I’d rather not do that and keep all the current & any new corals in their QT after dipping, esp since what we’ve been doing with the corals has been working well. We do have a sump without anything in the Fuge yet, I guess maybe we could put the corals/inverts in there with their light… and put the firefish by itself in what’s currently the frag tank. Idk please help, i don't want to lose any more fish! Thanks
I do this now. Been very successful with the method.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this now. Been very successful with the method.

+1

Back