Quaratnine Question

CThomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you quarantining your fish before introducing them to your display tank, are you just isolating and observing or prophylactically treating the fish?
If treating, would you mind elaborating on your methods? i.e. freshwater dip, copper treatment ofr ich/ velvet etc.

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple of my quarantine experiences with super difficult fish species that I documented. Instead of using copper I used black mollies and converted from freshwater to saltwater.

Of course right now I went about the same treatments with a flame angelfish, 2 bimaculatus anthias & 1 yellow tang and the flame angel showed ICH. They have been in theraputic COPPERSAFE at 2.00 for around 21 days now.

Let me know if I can help any further. I’m not an expert but have successfully gotten 3 Blue Star Leopards through QT shipped in from LiveAquaria & 1 Copperband butterfly that had not ate anything at the LFS who dominates in my tank now!

Doh Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this. I too am curious what most people do. I personally watch the fish for several weeks in a 20 gallon QT and make sure they eat and poop. If I see anything unusual I start treatment for ailments.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always do a prophylactic quarantine. The livestock supply chain is so diseased that I just presume the new fish has something that will need to be eradicated before introduction to the DT...

My method involves freshwater dip (if necessary) & 30m H202 Bath on new fish, into copper power (standard Humblefish protocol for 14 day treatment, then transfer to new QT), then I get the fish comfortable and eating well before dosing prazi twice. During all of this I add Metroplex and Selcon to frozen food. Process usually runs about a month total with observation.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

CThomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always do a prophylactic quarantine. The livestock supply chain is so diseased that I just presume the new fish has something that will need to be eradicated before introduction to the DT...

My method involves freshwater dip & 30m H202 Bath on new fish, into copper power (standard Humblefish protocol for 14 day treatment, then transfer to new QT), then I get the fish comfortable and eating well before dosing prazi twice. During all of this I add Metroplex and Selcon to frozen food. Process usually runs about a month total with observation.
What water volume are you doing the hydrogen peroxide bath in? What concentration of peroxide? I just read on another thread that someone was using 150ppm. Is that measurable through a test?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What water volume are you doing the hydrogen peroxide bath in? What concentration of peroxide? I just read on another thread that someone was using 150ppm. Is that measurable through a test?
Its the humblefish directions if you search it. Its like 20ml to 1 gallon of water, but dont quote me on that.

I credit H202 baths with helping me save a tang with severe velvet recently

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back