Question 300 Gallon Tank Evaporation

molodets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Im want to purchase 300 Gallon Rimless Tank for Reef fish and Corals.

I will put this Tank in the basement. Im worried about water Evaporation and getting mold on walls and ceiling.

can anyone please tell me if there is possibly I will get Mold later in the furure because of so much water?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 reef and 4 FW tanks in my walk out basement. No idea of total evaporation, but it's A LOT! I keep a small window fan running throughout the year except when the weather is bitter cold (like now). I know that's not energy efficient, but we spend most of our time down here, and it keeps my PH up and the humidity down.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Im want to purchase 300 Gallon Rimless Tank for Reef fish and Corals.

I will put this Tank in the basement. Im worried about water Evaporation and getting mold on walls and ceiling.

can anyone please tell me if there is possibly I will get Mold later in the furure because of so much water?
Generally paint is enough barrier to prevent vapors from causing mold on drywall.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 800, it runs about 4 gallons per day. Luckily I'm in AZ, so the humidity is still basically nothing. However, when I have the cooling fan on, it does get a bit humid in the fishroom. Ventilation is key.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes 300g of tank will cause humidity issues(rust/mold/etc) if not addressed. Tops will obviously drastically help but introduce all sorts of other issues. Depending on the season i keep an ac/window fan/ dehumidifier running 24/7 in room with my tanks.

Stanley Wong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put vapor barrier/plastic sheet over the ceiling of the basement and a basement window fan with humidity sensor.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 800, it runs about 4 gallons per day. Luckily I'm in AZ, so the humidity is still basically nothing. However, when I have the cooling fan on, it does get a bit humid in the fishroom. Ventilation is key.

Good point. I am in the midwest so different perspective, but it does depend a lot on ambient humidity.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you consider a glass top on your tank-- especially if it's a FOWLER? Then if you get creative and work around your skimmer and other tall devices in your sump, do some or all of that as well. 'Coral guys' may tell you it's a bad idea, but again, if it's a FOWLER... I lose amazingly little now that I have glass tops. Best wishes. ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back