Question about clownfish

reefertanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just curious about how there sex change happens. I had a pair of clowns and one of them(coral)got sick recently and died unfortunately but (Marlin) other one is fine and I assume it was the female since it was bigger. After about a month I just got another one smaller than what was marlin, since marlin is now coral unless he won’t become female till another clown is introduced? Do they change if there alone and was a male or will they wait for another clown? How does it work?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just curious about how there sex change happens. I had a pair of clowns and one of them(coral)got sick recently and died unfortunately but (Marlin) other one is fine and I assume it was the female since it was bigger. After about a month I just got another one smaller than what was marlin, since marlin is now coral unless he won’t become female till another clown is introduced? Do they change if there alone and was a male or will they wait for another clown? How does it work?
As long as the one you purchased is smaller, then the original one will likely become the Female clownfish. They may fight a little to set the pecking order, but it usually works itself out. I am sure once a clownfish actually becomes a female then they will stay that way.

OP
OP
reefertanker

reefertanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they change if they are a male alone in the tank?
As long as the one you purchased is smaller, then the original one will likely become the Female clownfish. They may fight a little to set the pecking order, but it usually works itself out. I am sure once a clownfish actually becomes a female then they will stay that way.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they change if they are a male alone in the tank?
I would have to say no, no reason for them to. Usually fish will stay what they are, until they have a reason to change, usually a mate.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In the clownfish world, size does matter. But, it's not what you think. For clownfish, the females are larger than the males. If you have a large clownfish or a clown that has been alone for a long period of time, chances are that it is a female. Female clowns are much more dominant than the males. They also try to eat most of the food that gets into the tank which is one reason the males don't get as big. They will often aggressively protect their territory which can be an anenome, a nesting site, a clay pot or even the entire fish tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its spot, you most likely have a female clownfish.
All clowns are born gender neutral. They are not male nor female at birth and as juveniles. The other thing that makes sexing Ocellaris Clownfish difficult is that they can become male and then female. This means that a juvenile clownfish can turn into a male, and the same clownfish can later change sexes to become a female. Once they become female they cannot change back to male.
This is how the social hierarchy works for clownfish . . . . There is one dominant female clownfish, partnered with a male, who is the next most dominant fish. The female is larger - much larger than the male. Next are non-mating males and juveniles. They are usually smaller still than the dominant male. If the male mate were to die, the next dominant male would become the mate if the female accepts him. If the female were to die, then the dominant male would change to female and the next male in line would become the mate.
If you introduce two fish at the same time then one will likely become the female and the other male. This does not guarantee that they will mate. You will be able to tell which is the female because she will be much more aggressive. Often, the female will barely let the male eat and sometimes will almost control where in the tank the male is allowed to go.

OP
OP
reefertanker

reefertanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the clownfish world, size does matter. But, it's not what you think. For clownfish, the females are larger than the males. If you have a large clownfish or a clown that has been alone for a long period of time, chances are that it is a female. Female clowns are much more dominant than the males. They also try to eat most of the food that gets into the tank which is one reason the males don't get as big. They will often aggressively protect their territory which can be an anenome, a nesting site, a clay pot or even the entire fish tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its spot, you most likely have a female clownfish.
All clowns are born gender neutral. They are not male nor female at birth and as juveniles. The other thing that makes sexing Ocellaris Clownfish difficult is that they can become male and then female. This means that a juvenile clownfish can turn into a male, and the same clownfish can later change sexes to become a female. Once they become female they cannot change back to male.
This is how the social hierarchy works for clownfish . . . . There is one dominant female clownfish, partnered with a male, who is the next most dominant fish. The female is larger - much larger than the male. Next are non-mating males and juveniles. They are usually smaller still than the dominant male. If the male mate were to die, the next dominant male would become the mate if the female accepts him. If the female were to die, then the dominant male would change to female and the next male in line would become the mate.
If you introduce two fish at the same time then one will likely become the female and the other male. This does not guarantee that they will mate. You will be able to tell which is the female because she will be much more aggressive. Often, the female will barely let the male eat and sometimes will almost control where in the tank the male is allowed to go.
Thank you so much! This was exactly what I was looking for! That means the male I had is definitely female now cause I did notice he started attacking my hand when adding food, after the female died that is before he would hide and eat secretly as if the female was going to get mad. And now I added a smaller fish that the one I have and about hour or two after the female start to go to it and show it around the tank is what it looked like lol thanks for your replies everyone!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!
Goofy Movie Hello GIF

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome to the Reef2Reef community! From my understanding if a single clown is there, he becomes a she once it becomes reaches a certain point. If there are more than 1, the biggest become a female and the next biggest becomes a sexually mature male. The rest stay as juvenile males (for lack of a better term). When either the female or the sexually mature male dies or is removed, the next in line moves up. However, from my understanding if you add a new clown and end up with 2 females, they cannot change back to male and you may have problems. Keep an eye on them and make sure they accept each other regardless of sex.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back