Question on programming multiple solenoids (using profilux 4 and GHL powerbar)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Ced21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some programming questions.

I am thinking of improving my RODI unit. I am thinking of buying 3 more solenoid valves to plug into my GHL powerbar. I already have one solenoid that turns on when my auto top off water bin is low. It is connected to two float switches.

My solenoid locations:
Solenoid 1 (s1): Connected to two float switches in RODI top off water bin (I already have this programmed)
Solenoid 2 (s2): Flush TDS creep after RO membrane down to drain
Solenoid 3 (s3): turn on twice a day for 40 minutes to fill RO water into pressure tanks for drinking.
Solenoid 4 (s4): Making new DI water for mixing saltwater.

So what I want to know about programming is:
Is it possible to program s2 to come on for two minutes before s1, s3, or s4 solenoids open to flush tds water. Then have s1, s3, or s4 come on after?

In more detailed terms, these are the functions I want to program:

Auto top off water making:
When float switch triggers socket, have it trigger s2 for two minutes, then turn off and turn on s1 until high float switch turns off function

Saltwater making:
Can I turn on saltwater making by clicking a button? Maybe a maintenance button? It takes a couple days to fill the 100 gallon bins of water. When I turn button on, I want s2 to flush for 2 minutes, then turn s4 on until I turn it off manually or I can get a high float switch to turn the function off.

Drinking water Making:
Have the s2 flush two minutes, then s3 turn on for 40 minutes. Have this function turn on three times a day.

Before I buy the three solenoids, I wanted to know if this was possible with the Profilux 4 programming.

I may even buy a fourth solenoid to flush before the ro membrane for 30 seconds or buy the solenoid aquatec sells that connects to the aquatec 8800 booster pump.

Thank you everyone for your help. What a great community!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - I think this can be done with help of Programming logic and also with a purchase of 1 digital input extension card (for the start with help of a button) I have by myself done a button + a PLM ADIN card in order to trigger a maintenance sequence . According to the programming - look at the different time functions and that you can combine them with the status of your level switches. P4 can also have 4 level switches in the original configuration - you need two splitters only.

1607549598048.png

I have attached the two PDF documents here

Sincerely Lasse

Attachments

• Programmable-Logic-Instructions.pdf
    532.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Manual_PLM-ADIN_2020-04-27.pdf
    203.8 KB · Views: 134
OP
OP
C

Ced21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HuduVudu, I am using the solenoids from here.

Lasse, when I say button, I mean like a function button like when you use the ghl app and press the feed or maintenance button. So the making of rodi water following the flush of tds creep can be started by pressing something on the app. Please let me know if I am missing something here...

Thanks for the help so far.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean something like this

1607561606341.png

1607561711838.png

1607561769356.png

When I press "Matning" one of mine stream pumps run 100% - the skimmer runs 25 % and my return pump run 55%. My Phosphate filter stops and my skimmer have power (if it had been blocked before)

You can use a maintenance button to start a filling or to trigger a socket function for at least 8 hours

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
C

Ced21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, thank you Lasse.

I am now working on the Auto top off RODI storage bin. I have a fill water function which opens a solenoid (plugged into socket 1) when the low water level float switch triggers the water to fill the bin until the high float switch turns off the solenoid. THis works great. Now I want to add another function. Before fresh RODI water gets added to the auto top off bin, I want a solenoid (Solenoid 2 plugged into socket 2) to first purge water from before the DI membrane for 2 minutes then socket 1 turn on solenoid 1 to start adding water to the bin. This way I save my DI resin by removing the high TDS water from TDS creep from going through the DI membrane.

So if I have these two solenoids, how do I set this up?
Solenoid 1 (s1): Connected to two float switches in RODI top off water bin (I already have this programmed)
Solenoid 2 (s2): Flush TDS creep after RO membrane down to drain

I have figured out that I can use the function I have already done for socket 1 for S1 set to fill water and put a delay for 2 minutes. THis way the solenoid 1 does not turn on for 2 minutes, I am assuming.

But how do I make solenoid 2 (plugged into socket\ 2) turn on right away and stay on for two minutes and turn off and stay off until the next time Fill water triggers it to? I tried delay 2min inverse, but that makes the socket 2 on all the time...

Ideas? Maybe setting up the socket 2 like a dosing pump but then how would I get it to start when fill water states to but only for 2 minutes?

So to sum up. How do I make a socket turn on for only two minutes when the low float switch in the auto top of container gets triggered? Is there a two minute timer that can be triggered only when the Fill Water function starts?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try this

Skip the delay for for activate S1 in the level function - put the delay to 2 sec (or around there)

Something like this. You have to adapt it to your case - this is only a suggestion

1607628856715.png

Create a PL (PL 14 in my case) - use the function delayed on and set the delay to 130 sec (2 min + 10 sec) You maybe need to adjust this

1608042018041.png

Go to the socket for Solenoid 1 (in my example socket 40) Put in PL14 (in my case) as function

1607629234712.png

If this work - - the level indicator ask for filling but the S1 wait for 130 sec before start. You may need to adjust the maximum time in step 1 if 5 - 2 minutes not is enough for filling up the ATO

Create a new PL (PL 15 in my example)

1607629536922.png

Connect this with the switch for solenoid 2 (switch channel 41 in my example)

1607629708758.png

If all work as I hope - following will happen. When sensor 3 activate the filling of the ATO container - Solenoid open for 120 sec (2 minutes) and the opening of Solenoid 1 is delayed in 130 sec (it means its open 10 sec after the S2 pulse.

Note - this is only a suggestion - not tested by me - but it is most for you to get some ideas how to do. You must test this before you run it sharp

If this not work you can try to use the indicator for starting the fill up in a simple level function. The same sensors can do different tasks

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Ced21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse, I wanted you to know that I feel priviledged to have you help me with this GHL programming. I see you as one of the Gurus of Profilux and I have read many of your recommendations to fellow reefers. I have learned a lot from you. @Ditto has also been a life saver with my first challenges with profilux 4 programming. You rock!

I am going to start trying out these suggestions. I will let you know how it goes.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse, I wanted you to know that I feel priviledged to have you help me with this GHL programming. I see you as one of the Gurus of Profilux and I have read many of your recommendations to fellow reefers. I have learned a lot from you. @Ditto has also been a life saver with my first challenges with profilux 4 programming. You rock!

I am going to start trying out these suggestions. I will let you know how it goes.
Your welcome. I´m only glad if my experiences can help someone else

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
C

Ced21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
@Lasse, I have tested the suggestions you gave and it works! Thank you!!!

I have two more challenges I would love your input on.

Saltwater making:
When I start making rodi water for making fresh saltwater I want Solenoid 2 (s2, same one from before that flushes TDS creep when before filling ato container from your suggestions) to flush or be on for 2 minutes. Then I want Solenoid 4 (connected to 100 gallon RODI saltwater making bin) to turn on and stay on for about two days. I was thinking I could use a timer and click the next two days to stay on. Then I will have to remember to unselect those two days, so the bins don't get filled again the following week. Maybe his a feed pause when starting, so s2 turns on the two minutes and s4 turns off for those two minutes. Then s2 will turn off and s4 will stay on for two days. Not sure if there is an easier way to do this. Also how to use programming logic to piggy back on the s2 function with the ato container you already helped me with. Would it be easier if I buy a solenoid for s4 to be one that is always on unless powered up it turns off? Or use the same sort of solenoids that are always closed unless powered up? The saltwater bins have float valves which stop the water from over filling.

Making Drinking water
Have solenoid s3 turn on for 40 minutes a day and have s2 turn on for two minutes before each 40 minute session. So how would I do the programming logic to have s2 tied to the 2 minute flush on the ATO, the 2 minute flush on the saltwater making rodi, and 2 minutes for drinking water attached to a timer or a delay to the timer?

Thank you for your time. You have been really helpful Lasse.

OP
OP
C

Ced21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
Aaaand to further challenge things, I want solenoid 4 to turn off then ATO solenoid 1 and/or Drinking water solenoid 3 are on.

OP
OP
C

Ced21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaand to further challenge things, I want solenoid 4 to turn off then ATO solenoid 1 and/or Drinking water solenoid 3 are on.
Maybe I should buy a couple float switches to run the saltwater making station... probably easier. Rather than programming a timer for two days everytime I want to make RODI water for the saltwater making station.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should buy a couple float switches to run the saltwater making station... probably easier. Rather than programming a timer for two days everytime I want to make RODI water for the saltwater making station.
Yes - it would be easier

Making Drinking water
Have solenoid s3 turn on for 40 minutes a day and have s2 turn on for two minutes before each 40 minute session. So how would I do the programming logic to have s2 tied to the 2 minute flush on the ATO, the 2 minute flush on the saltwater making rodi, and 2 minutes for drinking water attached to a timer or a delay to the timer?

Make a timer to turn on for 40 minutes (in my case timer 20 and 8:00 in the morning (42 minutes because need to compensate for the delay thats comes further on)

1607852661117.png

Make a PL (16 in my example)

1607852597958.png

Connect that to the switch in use for S3 (in my case 42)

1607854355259.png

Now you need to do a PL17 that says that S2 should pulse 120 sec then timer 20 switch on

1607853135392.png

Now you should have the switch channel for S2 (in my case 41) to react to both this last pulse and the first pulse.

PL18 will be created using the function or

1607853654389.png

Now we had to change the function for the switch channel that control the flush of water (channel 41 in my case) to include both this events (it will be PL18)

1607854416221.png

This is not tested - needs to be tested but I think it works. However - if both events (the float switch asking for filling between 8:00 and 8:42 it could be some problem. I think that the easiest way to prevent this is to make that S1 never will be on between 8:00 and 8:42. A new PL - PL 19 that hinder this - NOTE - the inverted function (red)

1607854880269.png

Now we change the Switch 40 to answer to the last PL19

1607855260661.png

Now - we have still one problem left - the pulse for flushing the unit can still be trigged by the level indicator between 8:00-8:42. I do not know if it is a real problem but I think that we can avoid this if we make a PL 20

1607855588486.png

And change PL 18 to include PL20 instead of PL15

1607855743022.png

At this moment when I can´t test - my head is wrapped up but my suggestions can be summarised like this - create a timer for the drinking water and have your PL like this

1607855887636.png

and switch channels like this

1607855951512.png

I can have done some logical faults - its difficult to have all in my head - but at least you will have an idea how to work with PL.

Test this before you run it sharp

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
C

Ced21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This in incredible!!! I have followed your steps and am in the process of testing it. Thank you Lasse.

for making the saltwater rodi. I presently have an extra ghl float sensor. Is there a way to use this float sensor either as the low or high sensor on saltwater vat?

Thought 1:
If using as a low sensor, triggers the start of water filling. Have a timer for 48 hours and turn off. I’d put a delay like before for 125 seconds on this solenoid 4. And have s2 run for 120 seconds to flush. I have a mechanical float valve on outflow on vat to stop it mechanically.

Thought 2:
have float sensor as high. Manually turn a timer on for 48 hours. Have a feed button for 120 seconds to turn on solenoid 2 and while solenoid 2 is on solenoid 4 is off. Then solenoid 4 stays on until high float sensor and have the max on time of 48 hours for a safety.

thought 3: buy a second float sensor. Use a similar function as we did for ato bin. Change some of the PL to tie this together.

thank you like always for aaaallll your time!

Have a great Sunday.

OP
OP
C

Ced21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you use the "make saltwater Rodi" - When it is filled - do you mix salt in it or pump it over to a salt mixing station?

Sincerely Lasse
Once the the bin is filled with RODI water, I add salt to it and mix. Once it is mixed, I pump it into another bin. Pumping it into another bin takes about 4 minutes. Then I have been manually turning a ball valve and starting to fill up the RODI bin with new RODI water.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´ll coming back tomorrow - it´s soon midnight here in Gothenburg. But I think I have a solution based on your suggestion number 2 - but without any manual interference. The sleep of the night have to sort up some thinking first :D:D

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
C

Ced21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´ll coming back tomorrow - it´s soon midnight here in Gothenburg. But I think I have a solution based on your suggestion number 2 - but without any manual interference. The sleep of the night have to sort up some thinking first :D:D

Sincerely Lasse
Sounds like a plan. I really appreciate all your efforts and time :)

Back