Radion and color

Discussion in 'General SPS Discussion' started by RedSox81, Nov 7, 2017.

1. RedSox81

RedSox81 Well-Known Member

I’m thinking about the change from MH lightning to radion led. I wanted to know if the color will be better with the led? Trying to decide if it’s worth the change? My tank is 120 gallon all sps.

crabs_mcjones likes this.
    Tags:

2. crabs_mcjones

crabs_mcjones I was a drab little crab once. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

If you're looking for something that will be similar to your MH I would go with the Kessils. 3-4 A360's or two AP700's.

RedSox81 likes this.
  3. Newb73

Newb73 Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

How long is the tank?

A360s need to be only about 12 inches apart for SPS

crabs_mcjones likes this.
  4. RedSox81

I’m going for the best color overall not really trying to match halides. If I were trying to match I would just stay with my lighting now. Thank you

5. crabs_mcjones

crabs_mcjones I was a drab little crab once. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

If that's the case then why not just stick with the MH? If it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't believe that switching to Radions is going to change your color at all. If anything keep the MH and add some blue stunner strips to get the pop from your corals :)

RedSox81, Braves Fan and 2Wheelsonly like this.
  6. Daniel Waters

Daniel Waters Well-Known Member ETRC Member

I run Kessils and Radions. I've never ran metal halides, but I believe either would give you any desired color you like, although I think the radions will have a little more control to dial in red and green wavelengths if you really need that minute control. The kessils are easier in that you turn a color knob and an intensity knob and are done. As far as shimmer, I prefer the kessil hands down over radions. While the shimmer from the radions is decent, I definitely can see a bit of disco ball to it. With anyone that is considering changing lights, I would just recommend you go look at different tanks with different set ups. I think all the major LED fixtures nowadays have proven they can grow coral.

RedSox81 and crabs_mcjones like this.
  7. 2Wheelsonly

2Wheelsonly Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I'm sure changing over to radions will absolutely change your color...where this statement affects you is that will it be the color you're looking for?

If you're not getting the color you want it's most likely a param error or bulb life, spread etc rather than the unit. For instance, there are sites like Unique corals that show whether corals were grown under LED or Halides...both show amazing color. It's not an exact science and my personal opinion is that you may not be happy with the financial investment.

When I switched from T5 to Vegas years ago I went through alot of pains. I got amazing color on newer corals but alot of my old stuff started looking terrible. For every one coral that looked great I had 4-5 pieces I loved turn to dull. I paid extreme level of attention and caution with the acclimation process but it's very difficult; anyone that says otherwise is wrong or has never experienced it.

On my 300g system I changed out my Hydra 52s with G4 Pros when they started having electrical issues and saw an explosion of growth but my colors stayed VERY similar (my greens and reds have more pop, blues/purples look dull with SPS+).

It's not as simple as changing lights and enjoying coloration for the better, I wish it was but it's not. Crabs has offered very very very good advice...if it aint broke don't fix it.

I have marker board everywhere in my fish room, all the walls are writable so I can grab a dry erase marker and write down notes as I go. My motto I have written right above my door is "it aint your equipment, its you bro". Harsh words but my wallet and brain thanks me for sticking to that these last 5 years.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    crabs_mcjones and Daniel Waters like this.
  8. Daniel Waters

Daniel Waters Well-Known Member ETRC Member

I would like to amend my response. I interpreted "color" as being the overall color of the tank / light, which I think the radions or kessils can match from your unit. If you are wanting to know if one will color up corals better, which i think is what you are really asking and i should have known, 2wheelsonly is giving you good advice. Some corals are likely to respond well, others are likely not to. The coral lab project he refers to is definitely worth reading. They set out to try to mimic successful halide and T5 bulb programs with their LED radions. But you have to realize the cost efficiencies for switching to LED for a large commercial coral growing program are magnitudes greater necessitating their need / desire to switch.

9. RedSox81

I might just do this but for some reason I have a itch to try these radions. I was think in about trying 3 xr30 on an 120. Thanks for the info

10. RedSox81

Great thanks for the input

11. RedSox81

I read all the hype about the radions and how they color up sps better than mh so that has me wanting to make the switch. I still don’t know what I want to do. Leaning toward staying with my mh setup.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  12. zsuzsu

zsuzsu Well-Known Member

imo, i would not switch, the only real savings will be less heat than halides. your electricity usage won't really change. and if you do change to leds be prepared for coral losses as it will happen. i have a halide tank, a t5 with radion supplement and a kessil frag tank. the mh tank is plug n play it just works, the t5 with radion supplement{only the blue channels } has the best growth color combo, and the kessil frag tank.... hmmm... not really much to talk about. ime t5s are the way to go if you want it all, mh if you just want it to work. and leds if you are just stubborn and want to drive yourself nuts. if you go led.. get ready for the learning curve and get the vicodin ready

ChiCity and RedSox81 like this.
  13. Mirkus

Mirkus Well-Known Member

Lol, great response. I recently switched from t5 with reefbrites to radions. It's still to early to say whether they maintain or enhance coloration. With that said, I'd love to put 3 metal halides, t5s, and led supp on my tank but my power bill would be thru the roof and the heat and humidity would make the tank room miserable.

RedSox81 likes this.
  14. zsuzsu

zsuzsu Well-Known Member

ya ... ive been doin this since a sanders skimmer was the shizzy, the only german stuff you could get was an ehiem pump or heater, imo t5s are the biggest thing since the radium bulb, together they are the best, but t5s with led supplement takes 1st,2nd, and 3rd in my trifecta. zsu

RedSox81 likes this.
  15. RedSox81

How many t5 bulbs do you run with the radion? All of my sps are frags and most cane from led tank not sure if that will make a difference.Lol thanks for the good laugh

16. RedSox81

How do you like the radion so far? I would supplement radion with 4 bulb t5. If I ran a couple led strips with my t5 and mh setup would that change the color at all? I have 1 actinic 2 blue plus and 1 purple plus now.

17. Salty1962

Salty1962 Wrasse and SPS Lover R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

You won't have a whole lot of coral growth change but you will have much more control over spectrum.

18. zsuzsu

zsuzsu Well-Known Member

i have g3 and g4 radions, they're nice but if you really want it all use the t5s as primary with led supplement. i ran the radions for 2yrs, i had great color but i have 4 xr 15s over a 24x24x20. as stated great color ... slow growth. now i have 8 t5s over the same tank, 6 blu plus, 1 actinic, 1 coral plus, 3 blu plus and 1 actinic on for 10 hours, with the remaining bulbs on as a peak for 5 hrs. the radion (only 1) ramps up and down (dawn/dusk) to 20% just the blue channels. since adopting this its been a breeze. the only way i would run led only would be on an lps or zoa tank, mh with t5, or t5 with led for sps . good luck n stuff zsu

19. zsuzsu

zsuzsu Well-Known Member

if you are sticking with the halide... i suggest 20k radium bulbs with t5 actinic or blue plus bulbs, that was my best combo

BoomCorals likes this.
  20. zsuzsu

zsuzsu Well-Known Member

and btw, get an ati fixture, it makes a big difference over everything else in the t5 world

Draft saved Draft deleted