Radion and color

Discussion in 'General SPS Discussion' started by RedSox81, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Mirkus

Mirkus Well-Known Member

So far so good with the radions. The biggest downside to them is the cost. I chose to go full LED, so I have 4 fixtures over a 5 foot tank. Hardly, economical if ask me. I did not change over expecting some kind of ROI. I just wanted to switch things up, and I was tired of the flat look of t5's.

RedSox81 likes this.

2. 29bonsaireef

29bonsaireef Member

Would not recommend Radions, unless supplemented with a few T5bulbs. Tried them out for about a month, not impressed. Corals were not happy under them. I noticed lots of shaded areas on colonies, underside of SPS turning pale and polyps receding while the top portion was getting baked by light. If you're looking for a more efficient alternative try T5 fixture with reefbrites or some supplemental LED. Ive been running a 6 bulb ATI with reefbrites for 2.5 yrs now and have never been happier with color/growth

RedSox81 likes this.
  3. Mirkus

Mirkus Well-Known Member

I had shading with my t5's and have similar shading with radions. My corals have shown no ill effects from the lighting change. The one thing I have noticed is the chemical warfare between my corals has intensified or the corals are more susceptible to chemical war. You can't make a statement about the effectiveness of lighting after one month. If you tried out for a year on an already established tank (1-2 years old) and noticed a change then maybe you could pin it on the lights. There are so many variables in play.

RedSox81 likes this.
  4. oysterk

oysterk Well-Known Member

Everybody's tank is different, there are plenty of LED only/Radion only SPS tanks that look amazing. Personally, I am running only a Nanobox Quad, a 4 puck LED system that's complete overkill for my tank. If you could afford a T5-LED combo though, that's really the best of both worlds.

RedSox81 likes this.
  5. tqui

tqui Well-Known Member

here's my radion's results:

_MG_4296.JPG

_MG_4318.JPG

_MG_4324.JPG

_MG_4343.JPG

_MG_4350.JPG

_MG_4352.JPG

_MG_4354.JPG

_MG_4355.JPG

_MG_4357.JPG

6. 29bonsaireef

29bonsaireef Member

I agree, there are many variables that come into play. However, my point being more so that I would not make a switch from MH to Radion for color alone. My tank was 3yrs old at the time I tried them. Im afraid if I would of left them over my tank for a year it would of been the end of most my sps. Its similar to the way mariculture pieces tend to take forever to color up. They come out of the ocean growing under natural sun and are thrown in to artificial lighting and it takes them a while to adjust, if they ever do. You take corals grown under MH and throw them under LEDs.. a totally different lighting, you get my point. Maybe, if you were to start from the beginning with frags grown under LED they would be better adapted to that kind of lighting. I have friends with amazing reefs lit by Radions but they used them from the get go.

Making a full switch from MH to LED for just for color is risky and your corals WILL encounter stress, if they recover from it.. that will depend on your individual corals. If the electric bill isn't hurting you from the MH, I would say stick with them. You can achieve the same excellent coloration under MH with a 20k bulb and some T5 blue+ or LED strips for that extra pop and it won't be as stressful for the tank. In the end overall tank health, stability, and water params count for coloration just as much as the lighting.

RedSox81 and Daniel Waters like this.
  7. mtraylor

mtraylor Well-Known Member

Very beautiful aquarium. Great job! How big is your aquarium and how many units you hang over the top?

RedSox81 likes this.
  8. tqui

tqui Well-Known Member

thanks.
    105gallon tank w/40gal sump-
    2 radion g4 pro.... i also have 4 tubes of t5 (actinic).. but before the g4 upgrades--i've ran radion g3 pro exclusively (same results)

RedSox81 likes this.
  9. BoomCorals

BoomCorals www.boomcorals.com R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

I’ve owned both. For me, the radions (g4 pro) did not color up coral any better than MH / T5. If anything, it was not as good as the radions. I honestly would just stay with the halide unless you’re having heat problems.

RedSox81 likes this.
  10. BoomCorals

BoomCorals www.boomcorals.com R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

I run exactly this and it’s great.

RedSox81 likes this.
  11. RedSox81

RedSox81 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your input I really appreciate it. Looks like I will stay with the radiums with t5. Now I have to search for cheaper led blue supplement strips.

29bonsaireef and Mirkus like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted