Radion diffusers worth it?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are an absolute game changer, if this had been the radion G5 everyone would be flipping out over how great it is. For some reason it's not getting the praise it should -- I'm guessing because it's an accessory

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll really notice the difference. I'm running XR15s about 8" above the water, tank is 21" deep. Went from moderate disco affect with seeing different colors on the sand to a soothing shimmer and no colors.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are an absolute game changer, if this had been the radion G5 everyone would be flipping out over how great it is. For some reason it's not getting the praise it should -- I'm guessing because it's an accessory
I think a large part of that is the fact they cost $45/$65 USD each, and that the lights have been marketed and hyped as the best thing on earth already, but are visually flawed enough to warrant a "game changing" accessory.

Too much hype, not enough humble from a lot of these manufacturers these days. That said, they are a huge improvement versus the standard fixture. I've seen the difference in person and it's stark enough to be crazy not to use these for most install cases. No side glare from the lenses on a hood-less install now either. Would have been nice to see them heavily discount these for all early adopters, but at least the option is available to everyone.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a large part of that is the fact they cost $45/$65 USD each, and that the lights have been marketed and hyped as the best thing on earth already, but are visually flawed enough to warrant a "game changing" accessory.

Too much hype, not enough humble from a lot of these manufacturers these days. That said, they are a huge improvement versus the standard fixture. I've seen the difference in person and it's stark enough to be crazy not to use these for most install cases. No side glare from the lenses on a hood-less install now either. Would have been nice to see them heavily discount these for all early adopters, but at least the option is available to everyone.

I agree, although I would say the hype comes from the users who've had great success with them. Many members in my club with very large and mature tanks have switched from halide or T5 to Radions and saw vast improvements in color, growth pattern, and growth rate. Each tank is different, I'm sure some people didn't get this result but I've not met many of those people.

I will say companies radically oversell their lighting's footprint. Most of the people I've seen who really have smashing success with radions use one every 1x2' area -- meaning 4 G3/G4 on a 120 gallon. That's about twice what EcoTech recommends, but I feel it's what dense SPS tanks warrant, or should I say more truthfully -- require.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back