Radion G5 Rant. $900?

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody say hi to the tool that is going to get a thread, where there’s a good discussion, shut down because he came in here just looking for a fight

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this price point can’t one buy an Orphek, the design of which Ecotech seems to be headed towards?
Not sure why you think Ecotech are heading towards Orphek's design but hey oh. IMO nothing can be further than the truth. Radions appear to be the same size as the G4 , are the individual LEDs irreplaceable like the Orphek's. The Orphek's have dual diodes. One Orphek will light a 3' SPS tank well. I admit to not seeing a G5 in person so I might be wrong about them. We shall see.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still haven't and won't ever drink the Ecocrap koolaid. There are reefers out here that would tell you I'd it isn't lit with Radions, flowed with Vortechs, returned with a Vertra... and then ran on the Triton method with a Neptune Apex and Trident, well it just flat out wont grow coral.

Too many people willing to throw their 401K into their tank in this hobby.

SyracuseMatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think these benefits of panels are getting lost, they've just already been proven and provided by ReefBreeder and Orphek a few yrs ago to those that benefit the most from them (owners of large footprint systems).

If you're married to the Eco-Tech brand, you'll finally get to experience these benefits. But if your not, compelling budget and premium panels have existed for some time that are purpose built for larger footprints vs shoe-horned into a chassis that looks like it was meant for pucks.

That's why aquatic life will likely count on significant biz from G5 customers
I do think Ecotech probably should have gone to a larger panel at the same time it abandoned the puck. It seems like you ought to spread out the LEDs as far as possible without losing good blending to create the most even lighting levels possible and reduce shadowing. I'm not sure I've ever seen an Orphek Atlantik lit tank in person but, it certainly seems to check all the boxes of what I would look for if I were buying new LEDs right now. Right or wrong, I might have some concerns about reliability though.

Matt

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think Ecotech probably should have gone to a larger panel at the same time it abandoned the puck. It seems like you ought to spread out the LEDs as far as possible without losing good blending to create the most even lighting levels possible and reduce shadowing. I'm not sure I've ever seen an Orphek Atlantik lit tank in person but, it certainly seems to check all the boxes of what I would look for if I were buying new LEDs right now. Right or wrong, I might have some concerns about reliability though.

Matt
These are some of the reasons I went with 2 X Atlantic V4s along with the fact if needed you can replace individual LEDs and are upgradeable if needed. Seems to me Orphek listened to many of the concerns of hobbyists and addressed them...mostly why Ecotech have stuck closely to what they have produced in the past with let's be honest success market wise. I don't see the G5 as a game changer and think Ecotech could have done more to spread the LEDs out.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally was stoked to get the G5’s. Got the sneak peak brochure that was posted on here and I was dead set on getting them. But like I said earlier in this thread, I started seeing people replying to the “I’m ditching my G4’s for G5’s” with “ I ditched my G4’s for orpheks and couldn’t be happier.” Which is when the searching for me began. And I’m going with orpheks. Not only because they are more affordable (not by much) but because they seemed to listen to hobbyists and address issues instead of just doing what a competitor was doing and then realizing that tons of people use black box LEDs instead of pick style

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s the same price as the old G4 but I’m still amazed people can and will spend $900 (with tax) on a 12 inch 100 watt LED. It truly is a light for the elite. Their advertising pull on the market is incredible. They learned the market will support $900 so they kept it that way. Everyone already has them listed online, YouTube interviews, you name it. Its an LED board, heat sink, fan and wifi chip with an app. And it’s water resistant. OMG they designed their own fan!? The advertise better blending. It’s easy to blend any LED light by using some sort of diffusing material.

For $900!? Oh and you’ll need 2-4 of them over your tank.

For me it’s a hobby and I appreciate cost effective lighting solutions. I’ve seen plenty of Radion powered tanks full of GHA (Gallery Aquatica customer tanks) and I’ve seen some black box tanks that would amaze you. Celebrating a free market! Next up G6 for $1k! Or, for me, something cheaper :(
You don’t have to BUY ANYTHING YOU DONT LIKE THE PRICE OF

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Couchpotato
You don’t have to BUY ANYTHING YOU DONT LIKE THE PRICE OF
Just like, YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOUT to get your point across. However, we are discussing the merits or otherwise of a new product and it's competitor's or at least I though that was the case. It's all about choice and a point of view.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no light expert but why didn't they build the new g5 bigger so you wouldn't need as many? similar to the old maxspect razors, you could buy in 2, 3, and 4ft lengths so rather than use 3 2ft lights you could use 2 3ft lights to light a 6ft tank at a cheaper cost?
Is there a technological reason for this or is it just to sell more?

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was kinda miffed about buying two g4 pros a month ago and finding out about the price drop and the g5s coming out until i seen them.
Way way to blue for my taste, reminds me of the sol blues.
Ill stick with the g4s.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no light expert but why didn't they build the new g5 bigger so you wouldn't need as many? similar to the old maxspect razors, you could buy in 2, 3, and 4ft lengths so rather than use 3 2ft lights you could use 2 3ft lights to light a 6ft tank at a cheaper cost?
Is there a technological reason for this or is it just to sell more?
Marketing ( some might suggest doing you over) why sell 1 light when they can sell 2, 3, or 4? Also probably more economical to produce one light than a number of varying lengths not that, that is an excuse.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Matt

I wish I could see one in person, if it’s anything like their light bar then it would be amazing. After buying two of their light bars to angle towards the front of my tank I can say they put my radions to shame as far as pop and fluorescence goes. Can’t wait to see how growth goes.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I get it, the G5's aren't necessary to run a successful reef, but neither is a Trident and those are still hard to get nearly a year after release. But from watching the BRS Investigates video on them they are a game changer in eliminating hotspots and shadowing and even distribution of par in optimized spectrums. They are definitely an advancement and leading the technology in having compact LED perform near T5 standard. I doubt that they would show significant difference in a tank that is already running successfully without them but that shouldn't negate their value to someone looking for the solutions that they offer that no other LED in that compact size do. If starting a new tank or fixing lighting issues in a current tank, it could be worth the investment in the G5. If running a successful tank or feeling left out because you don't have the newest, I don't think it's worth upgrading (unless $ is zero issue).

"they are a game changer in eliminating hotspots and shadowing and even distribution of par in optimized spectrums "

Not really. Orphek already did this. Ecotech is just following their lead.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"they are a game changer in eliminating hotspots and shadowing and even distribution of par in optimized spectrums "

Cant see how they have eliminated shading much as the light is still narrow unless you mount them grint to back then how many more would you need.

good.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I disagree. The Orphek par distribution is still more pyramid shaped as opposed to the pancake shape of the G 5 par chart.
Cant see how they have eliminated shading much as the light is still narrow unless you mount them grint to back then how many more would you need.

If you watch the BRS Investigates video it shows the par distribution chart. It's the flatest I've seen on a compact LED.

Steve9333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ummmmm aren’t all lights expensive??? I recall paying quite a bit for power compact/hQi halide fixture that needed bulbs replaced every 9-15 months. Just cause gen5 are out doesn’t mean you need to replace what you have!

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. The Orphek par distribution is still more pyramid shaped as opposed to the pancake shape of the G 5 par chart.

If you watch the BRS Investigates video it shows the par distribution chart. It's the flatest I've seen on a compact LED.
Ermmm Am not taking PAR but shading. That is completely different and you can't eliminate shading g with PAR unfortunately as light wont bend.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meanwhile my 200 a pop prime 16’s are growing the heck out of some corals. Although I do like to complain about things I can’t afford it’s more fun to watch others. I swear BRS and others are very good at being subtle as heck and making you think you can’t be successful without there latest and greatest stuff. Many time I have caught myself watching there videos and going right to there site to buy and coming to my senses at the last min. This hobby is very hard for people on a budget and even harder if you are on a budget but dont think you are. How many people have used the affirm option just for these lights when they have less than a year old lights over there tank with a bunch of dead and dying corals in the water? It gets easier when you dont have the money to spend on new stuff and I am amazed at what I can accomplish with third or fourth tier equipment.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meanwhile my 200 a pop prime 16’s are growing the heck out of some corals. Although I do like to complain about things I can’t afford it’s more fun to watch others. I swear BRS and others are very good at being subtle as heck and making you think you can’t be successful without there latest and greatest stuff. Many time I have caught myself watching there videos and going right to there site to buy and coming to my senses at the last min. This hobby is very hard for people on a budget and even harder if you are on a budget but dont think you are. How many people have used the affirm option just for these lights when they have less than a year old lights over there tank with a bunch of dead and dying corals in the water? It gets easier when you dont have the money to spend on new stuff and I am amazed at what I can accomplish with third or fourth tier equipment.
The vast majority of my equipment was bought secondhand including my Orpheks. Sometimes I even make money on what I have bought. Thank god for the most have the latest kit guys as it often means I get a bargain.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back