Radion G5s are diffusers mandatory?

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been debating the diffusers for my xr15 g5 pros for a few weeks. I do notice the disco if I look for it on the sand, but it doesn’t bother me. I’m mainly considering them so when my 4 month old starts scooting around she isn’t staring directly at the bare lights when she looks up.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think maybe spectrum is part of it. For the record I have the Pro's and I do run a more white spectrum. It's basically AB+ but with the two white channels at 45%. When I get home I'll turn down the whites and compare the disco effect with and without the diffusers.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did test; I took off my diffusers and turned the channels to heavy blues. You can still see the light doesn’t blend as well but there’s definitely not same the pronounced disco ball effect. I can say with certainty it appears the white channels amplify the disco ball appearance.

However that said, even if I did run heavy blues I would have diffusers on my G5’s. My eye is very sensitive to the light scatter and it’s almost undetectable with the diffusers in place.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, if the light mounting height didn't change, adding the diffuser to Radion Gen 5 actually make it spread less. This is what I found when testing it in my tank. The reason was, the diffuser didn't really improve diffusing much. But it effectively bring the light down by 1cm.
On the other hand, the standard diffuser is more embedded into the fixture than the extra diffuser you're adding, so the light will spread out more horizontally.
I noticed that when i added the diffuser and watched the tank sitting from the couch. My eyes are way more blinded with the extra diffuser than without. I'm even thinking of adding a strip around the diffuser to prevent that.

Back