Raege

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now deep thoughts with Jack Handy
Thinking of tearing Refugium up Wednesday. I have miracle mud some sand (thoughts of rooting macros) but think the benefit of bare bottom cleaning wise is way to go. Mud and sand another place for debris yo settle and fester.
Pros to keeping some mud full half coverage or no folks?

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test

97676AC8-1B8E-43EE-940D-30443CB8C3CC.jpeg E2CBDED0-65E5-45FD-BFA2-20BFDE8FF9FA.jpeg
That starfish is handsome buddy, it should be nice to watch it.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now deep thoughts with Jack Handy
Thinking of tearing Refugium up Wednesday. I have miracle mud some sand (thoughts of rooting macros) but think the benefit of bare bottom cleaning wise is way to go. Mud and sand another place for debris yo settle and fester.
Pros to keeping some mud full half coverage or no folks?
I am in no ways qualified to answer this, but in my head a non-display refugium would be as efficient as possible as opposed to a dumping ground. I like the idea of the mud, although some on the market explicitly recommend replacing it regularly (no thank you!). Keep it simple.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used about an inch of plain old sand with some ISPF.com mud as a one time seed. I dont stir up that sand bed but I do try to vaccum off the top layer of crud every few months. Usually when I rinse the chaeto. Being bare bottom in my display i felt the fuge having some sort of substrate was probably a good idea. If I had sand in the display Id probably go bare bottom fuge.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used about an inch of plain old sand with some ISPF.com mud as a one time seed. I dont stir up that sand bed but I do try to vaccum off the top layer of crud every few months. Usually when I rinse the chaeto. Being bare bottom in my display i felt the fuge having some sort of substrate was probably a good idea. If I had sand in the display Id probably go bare bottom fuge.
I like your thinking here.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning reefers, not real happy today. The new zoa colony looks like a model of the moon today. Lenny the murdering Molly Miller Blenny adopted the frag rack as a perch. He tail whips frags off and zoa was in sand last night. Today it looks like. Rock with one zoa.....not the dozen head beauty it was.
Not sure who played lawnmower on it overnight :(

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The unhappiness continues......... yesterday noticed a gyre not working no big deal wife held the button to long turned off instead of 10 min pause big deal is didn’t notice she did same to left gyre. Anemone walked again back to its hole but more forward and Maroon Clown I’s FREAKING our. He/she is in Gobie mode shifting sand like crazy almost nesting behavior? Gyre still not reliable searching net for help here’s the sand pile

image.jpg

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning reefers, not real happy today. The new zoa colony looks like a model of the moon today. Lenny the murdering Molly Miller Blenny adopted the frag rack as a perch. He tail whips frags off and zoa was in sand last night. Today it looks like. Rock with one zoa.....not the dozen head beauty it was.
Not sure who played lawnmower on it overnight :(
Bad news, sorry for your zoas Raege.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Sunday reefers, Well today finally took mud and sand out of sump. Ever do something feel good till the end? After the storm hit the display OMG looks like I’m mixing salt to start a cycle! I know it will settle down fresh socks catching the junk as I type. Changed out about 28 gallons of water thought I was going to run out at one point but just squeaked by. With the water so cloudy surprised Foxface isn’t spikes up in a corner but he’s swimming thru the haze happy as can be. Cpl picks of the ugliness :p
Positives lotsa chaeto grew lotsa new pockmarks of corralline purple and green. Can see few dozen kisses where snails have snacked. Once tank clears got some gluing to do on surviving corals.

27963625-4101-4D99-BF18-F57488D381E1.jpeg 8F31D8B9-61F8-478D-9425-6086F2BE4327.jpeg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back