Green Hair Algae battleplan?

• Total voters

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad things are going well Ray! If you’ve got a handle on all the known troubles (Sounds like you have) it may time to start backing off the larger water changes.... 25g weekly is a good amount if you’re simply doing them to do them... If that makes sense. Perhaps try 10g and see how it goes? Anyway, great work!

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad things are going well Ray! If you’ve got a handle on all the known troubles (Sounds like you have) it may time to start backing off the larger water changes.... 25g weekly is a good amount if you’re simply doing them to do them... If that makes sense. Perhaps try 10g and see how it goes? Anyway, great work!
Thanks Corey I think I’m close at least closer than ever before on getting tank in groove. The GHA is still here more than I’d like. It’s not getting out of control but may need some more turbos. Coralline is getting upper hand as far as overflow and glass so out competing for nutrients just not beating gha on rocks. Going to stick with 25 per week till I see more of a coralline bloom on rocks.
Next steps I’m going to prepack feeding cubes for wife to use. She’s feeding less than a cube and rinsing but want to get meals portioned for consistency and easier for her.
Lights have been cut back high of 75 may drop another 10 percent to see its effect on algae as well as the tufts mist ticking me off are on highest point in tank.
I’ve not done any testing in a month just WC and observing. Will test today tho need to tie what I’m seeing into numbers. I hope to see a decent change with stripping sump bare and rock cleanings.
Happy but scared that I’m a misstep away on my own part to GHA going nuts again.
Bbl going to take wife to movies then it’s home for WC and test numbers.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goooooooood Mooooorning Reefers, not much going on with the tank. Slow steady looking pretty good. I’ve shortened my light cycle a bit and lowered peaks on light channels to a max of 75 % over last 4 days (very little gha around appears in control by cuc and want to stay that way of better). Will fine tune today when I’m home for peak hour and tweak for visual appeal.
Other than light intensity and duration change going to mix salt for 25 ga change tomorrow and get sump wiring heat again after I tore it up cleaning ;Sorry and work on a tank video.
For equipment have a apex jr on the way. The price was right and for what Im going to start using it for will serve its purpose. Hopefully I will not feel a need to upgrade it in near future.....
Stay salty my friends and thanks for stopping in.

Ps still working on an index for ease of finding info in thread it’s a pain in the bleep but will get er done eventually
Nice buy with the Apex Ray, looking forward for the video.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New addition batting clean up a sea hare
They had some emperor angels good thing tanks to small they are beautiful

1571599404185.jpg

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want one so bad. One time when my tank sand was pretty new 2010, we got a kinda big one. He did great through acclimation. Sat him on a rock, he started grazing and cleared a path. It was great. An hour or so later all my nassarius snails were on the rock, eatin him alive alive. ;Woot I believe they were starved. Of course I tried to save him but they were back on him right away. I went to bed crying. lol. People say he was dying and they were doing their job but I saw him. He was healthy and grazing. Nassarius smelled him in the water and knew it was an easy meal. They were nassarius eggs EVERYWHERE in a day or two. I started feeding them after that.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, pretty bummed out. Finally had chance to get apex jr set up. After hours of messing around and talking to a friend who is in the know found internal power to the apex Ethernet jack is the issue. :(
Not knowing what else may have been damaged to internal board just not worth spending more cash to get it running. Almost had a nice deal on controller at 140 but just can’t see tossing more doh at it. Guy I bought it from has been very helpful and quick to respond to messages so hopefully can recoup the cost and search for a replacement.

Happier news haven’t gotten to my scheduled WC and maint but it’s cause my son got engaged so had a celebratory dinner and spending some time with him and future daughter in law.

Someday going to catch a good break with the reefing stuff till then going to enjoy the good news family wise.
Stay Salty next post will be after WC and testing and taking vid of tank as it stands now

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back