Green Hair Algae battleplan?

• Total voters

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ray, be sure to tun on "Heartbeat" in the Apex menu. That is what will let you know of a power outage if you are not home.

Click the drop down on the top left of the fusion home screen. Almost all the way to the bottom of that menu you will see Heartbeat. I think you got it from there.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My man, I feel you on excitedness over seemingly mundane things. i.e. - I bought a new sprinkler this past summer. I was so hyped to use it but had to wait until about a week after buying it because of rain we got. I was so jacked the day I hooked it up and turned it on. Yup, a simple sprinkler. Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs!

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening all did some testing for giggles
DKH 8.1
Ca 400
Mg 1360
NO3 50
PO4 zero Hannah .004 RedSea
Ph 8
Temp 77.3
Tank looks better but nitrates still task me but not to worried new gfo and carbon went in Other day and found wife was back to feeding every day so back on track every other day again. Gonna keep plucking away seeing some discoloration on gha in spots and it’s pulling little easier again. With more corraline showing glass and overflow still moving tight direction. Have 25 gallons mixing for tomorrow. #honestyinreefing haven’t changed water in 2 weeks so nitrates on me. Still pretty happy they are what they are missing cpl wc’s
Stay salty and reef on

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening all did some testing for giggles
DKH 8.1
Ca 400
Mg 1360
NO3 50
PO4 zero Hannah .004 RedSea
Ph 8
Temp 77.3
Tank looks better but nitrates still task me but not to worried new gfo and carbon went in Other day and found wife was back to feeding every day so back on track every other day again. Gonna keep plucking away seeing some discoloration on gha in spots and it’s pulling little easier again. With more corraline showing glass and overflow still moving tight direction. Have 25 gallons mixing for tomorrow. #honestyinreefing haven’t changed water in 2 weeks so nitrates on me. Still pretty happy they are what they are missing cpl wc’s
Stay salty and reef on
No rise in no3 after 2 weeks without a wc is a great sign my friend. The fuge is doing its job. Keep swimming sir.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:cool: Geeking out while I decide if I want to chance a fish order with the temps around here
01339D6C-EC9A-40B3-B29B-10AA352F07FF.png

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all got a cpl pics #honestyinreefing they are not pretty in and of themselves, but in the timeframe of battle GHA it’s positive. I’ve turned hop arch back upright position. The gha underneath was fairly easy to remove. Overall algae removal today went well pulled a good 16oz of crud out. Noted day or so ago gha in spots was turning reddish brown thought I was getting a coating of cyano but it was gha dying off. :cool:
Current state of water column disaster I gave not mastered the siphon pluck so just plucking and lots of bits get away to float and hopefully make their way too the filter socks. I had to anger they Kenya Xenia and anemone to get better access to some gha tufts.
It still amazes me how small the nem can ball itself up! Pic below.
I had thought on getting a last few fish but with weather and worry on getting em alive holding off. Very tough to hold back but best choice there will be other sales.
Coraline still expanding on overflow and glass temp ph line s rock. Will be testing in 2 days DKH ca and mg. Will also be increasing photo period on fuge light only running 10 hours will ramp it up to max or 16 or 18 I’ve read the algae does need some dark time for optimum health and effectiveness which makes some sense. Stay salty keep it slow and steady friends.
A31F0906-D8C3-4C9D-BCA9-291489074C39.jpeg
1E746885-2F31-41E7-A5BA-10F1A8A97B03.jpeg
3795E7ED-5679-4046-85F9-A38254A46B87.jpeg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all got a cpl pics #honestyinreefing they are not pretty in and of themselves, but in the timeframe of battle GHA it’s positive. I’ve turned hop arch back upright position. The gha underneath was fairly easy to remove. Overall algae removal today went well pulled a good 16oz of crud out. Noted day or so ago gha in spots was turning reddish brown thought I was getting a coating of cyano but it was gha dying off. :cool:
Current state of water column disaster I gave not mastered the siphon pluck so just plucking and lots of bits get away to float and hopefully make their way too the filter socks. I had to anger they Kenya Xenia and anemone to get better access to some gha tufts.
I had thought on getting a last few fish but with weather and worry on getting em alive holding off. Very tough to hold back but best choice there will be other sales.
Coraline still expanding on overflow and glass temp ph line s rock. Will be testing in 2 days DKH ca and mg. Will also be increasing photo period on fuge light only running 10 hours will ramp it up to max or 16 or 18 I’ve read the algae does need some dark time for optimum health and effectiveness which makes some sense. Stay salty keep it slow and steady friends.

I do believe you'll be seeing the GHA disappear fairly quickly once you increase the time on the fuge light.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Ray for your post, I think we got to keep the hobby real. Many leave the hobby because they can’t achieve a beautiful reef in a few months and the reality is we all battle algae, cyano, dinos, bad fish/corals, disease, etc. at some point. This hobby is like everything in life: sometimes you are up, sometimes your down, we just have to enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ray I ran my fuge light 16 hours for a few months and it was growing macro fast. My LFS runs a system 24 hours a day and removes 5 gallon a week. I think it’s more durable then we think.
Run that light and don’t be scared if it’s going to kill chaeto it will give a warning

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks! Slow but sure she’s getting in the groove. Liking how it’s going :)
You were asked to register for reeftank 365

well.gif

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back