Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#honestyinreefing
Confessions of a well meaning reefer
So if you have followed along Nitrates have been an issue. I’ve made progress then I’ll do what I know will make them worse with good intentions.
First overfeeding to ensure the copper Band butterfly was eating. Got that under control and now it’s overfeeding the Symphyllia... The overfeeding if this coral direct and broadcast is probably doing more damage than good I think so will pare it back and let it go as it will.
Phosphates up to .1
Nitrates up to 64
DKH steady at 8.4 dosing just a bit every other day to maintain
Ammonia and nitrites zero
Temp 77.6
Cal 490
Mag 1400
Good news the GHA seems to be loosening it’s hold with the vodka dosing clumps are smaller and brush off very easily not much hold like in the past when a sandblasted woulda been needed
Back to basics had nitrates south of 40 and dropping and po4 heading south of .8 before this past week of feeding frenzy part two. Will not chase the one coral at the cost of the rest anymore po4 and nitrates are job one rest will follow hopefully

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a pic of Fred Sanford overloading junk in back of his pick up smh

11463D91-C8B8-4C93-93B2-3B082B949D02.jpeg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cpl more shots practice practice practice makes acceptable.....

9F132C93-FE6A-43C7-9B79-13D565BFF6DB.jpeg

C43F3AA7-303E-4E07-914A-61944484E59A.jpeg

0D0B6795-7FB6-4CCD-A5BA-6D22106A38B1.jpeg

F4D6FC71-4473-440B-8FDC-7F9A3E5E32D5.jpeg

0474C1B4-6AC0-480C-80CE-CB0ABA1DC32D.jpeg

B07F14B4-FE2F-4AF7-B3B1-5039D0B104C8.jpeg

That is an amazing pic of the toadstool ray.. and the FTS is balanced and beautiful. Great job sir.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening reefers Today marks a year since I stopped lurking and joined the R2R salt support group. Looking back at pics and my posts of the tank and hard to believe what tank looks like now. Rockscape redone fish rehomed some good coral growth on cpl of my softies failure and success more of the later I feel.
I’ve read a lot learned a lot and have been fortunate to get to know some real fine folks in this community online and in person.
Overall I’m happy with the tank and were it’s at. The old adage if I only knew then what I know now sure holds true. Next up for the tank nothing just test and dose till big three are in perfect harmony or closest approximation I can achieve. Once the whole tank has purpled up new lights last cpl fish additions and see about growing sticks.
The salt bug is like golfing that one good drive keeps you playing more holes in search of that sweet feeling of success that one difficult fish or good growth on a coral hook ya. Look forward to the next year and seeing where I can get to.
Thanks to all for suggestions help and support your all another reason to keep goining in the hobby

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Friday all! I have a good weekend on tap. End Game tomorrow 25 gallon WC and tank cleaning Sunday it don’t get much better than that. Hope everyone else has a great weekend as well.
On the the numbers DKH is dropping g a steady .5 per day so going to lock that dose in. And recheck weekly.
DKH 8.3
Mag 1350
Ca dosing by alk use not going to check for a week or so
Nitrates and PO4 testing Sat and then again after Sunday WC.
Inkbird keeping tank 77.6 to 78
Fts follows and you may notice the symphyllia is missing moved it to my sons tank in case it’s getting picked at or somethings in water I don’t have a test for. Other corals seem fine would love to figure out why this “one of the easier corals to keep” is tanking so bad. I haven’t sent my icp test out that’s a high priority to get done.

620E830E-7A25-403F-9A9D-DE9BEE52A487.jpeg

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Friday all! I have a good weekend on tap. End Game tomorrow 25 gallon WC and tank cleaning Sunday it don’t get much better than that. Hope everyone else has a great weekend as well.
On the the numbers DKH is dropping g a steady .5 per day so going to lock that dose in. And recheck weekly.
DKH 8.3
Mag 1350
Ca dosing by alk use not going to check for a week or so
Nitrates and PO4 testing Sat and then again after Sunday WC.
Inkbird keeping tank 77.6 to 78
Fts follows and you may notice the symphyllia is missing moved it to my sons tank in case it’s getting picked at or somethings in water I don’t have a test for. Other corals seem fine would love to figure out why this “one of the easier corals to keep” is tanking so bad. I haven’t sent my icp test out that’s a high priority to get done.
Tried to post a FTS but server errors and disconnecting.......took 10 mins to load this. If anyone has had same problem in an iPad and knows a fix give a shout out ty

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening reefers Today marks a year since I stopped lurking and joined the R2R salt support group. Looking back at pics and my posts of the tank and hard to believe what tank looks like now. Rockscape redone fish rehomed some good coral growth on cpl of my softies failure and success more of the later I feel.
I’ve read a lot learned a lot and have been fortunate to get to know some real fine folks in this community online and in person.
Overall I’m happy with the tank and were it’s at. The old adage if I only knew then what I know now sure holds true. Next up for the tank nothing just test and dose till big three are in perfect harmony or closest approximation I can achieve. Once the whole tank has purpled up new lights last cpl fish additions and see about growing sticks.
The salt bug is like golfing that one good drive keeps you playing more holes in search of that sweet feeling of success that one difficult fish or good growth on a coral hook ya. Look forward to the next year and seeing where I can get to.
Thanks to all for suggestions help and support your all another reason to keep goining in the hobby
Happy Anniversary! I for one am glad you are here.

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Friday all! I have a good weekend on tap. End Game tomorrow 25 gallon WC and tank cleaning Sunday it don’t get much better than that.
BLACKMAIL: You need to send me all your awesome new purchases from last week that I just saw the pictures of, or I will give all sorts of spoilers away to you about "End game". You have five minutes to respond. ;Spiderman;)

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Mother’s Day to all you mothers out there :)
Finished mother’s day weekend..... Saturday breakfast then wife went out sons took her shopping then we all went to see Avengers End Game then dinner. Today took the wife out to do some shopping on one then back to the tank.
Scraped the glass and back panels moved reglued sold corals and a WC was going to clean the pumps but....got lazy :oops:
@Paul C. stopped in with fresh phyto and nano and talking about his I hadn’t seen huge results as of yet from manual vodka dosing is goi g to drop off his nitrate reactor to try out! Will see if this helps counter our heavy hand feedings. if your in Western Ma and need fresh pods and the “juice” to feed them he’s got the goods :)and good to talk tank with. Such awesome giving folks on these forums glad to gave met so many.
Tank is stirred up and cloudy pics tomorrow and hopefully will find the ultra green toadstool that the urchins took off with somewhere along with the zoas...:mad: new glue in hand ready to go!

Last edited:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well said and grats on ur r2rbday. We all grow and learn from one another sir. Lucky to have met u. Cheers ray.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s Monday yaaaaayyyyyy,,,,,, but works done and it’s tank time. Cleaned some more glass amazing how easy it is to miss spots taking pics I’m like really there still....
But anyhoo reglued some frags to stop Sanford from toting em around do corals all las atm Wife us also mad as I broke her larg green month DOH reglued the pieces with bad end against the rock so it consent look to bad. Wife approved get to sleep in bed tonight rather than couch! SCORE
Here’s FTS with mad corals

D8CDDB33-C79F-499B-913B-24ED08A44B8B.jpeg

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s Monday yaaaaayyyyyy,,,,,, but works done and it’s tank time. Cleaned some more glass amazing how easy it is to miss spots taking pics I’m like really there still....
But anyhoo reglued some frags to stop Sanford from toting em around do corals all las atm Wife us also mad as I broke her larg green month DOH reglued the pieces with bad end against the rock so it consent look to bad. Wife approved get to sleep in bed tonight rather than couch! SCORE
Here’s FTS with mad corals

D8CDDB33-C79F-499B-913B-24ED08A44B8B.jpeg
Always good to keep the wife in good spirits. (Speaking from a wife's perspective.) Tank is looking wonderful.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a bad day reefin better than a good day at work? Not sure on that today. Frag I cut for Rich turned purplish grey night good no biggie will cut fresh. Orange oxides that we’re beautiful last night gone I mean plug is just about barren and don’t see the polyp colony anywhere in rank even after moving some rocks. After this find Fred Sanford our pincushion urchin leaded for bear new hammer corals ripped from his hole in rock and some plain zoas that had been making a comeback strapped on ;Facepalm. Reglued what I found but geez Louise pincushion May need to be relocated he’s an freaking bulldozer and a half.
Hope to find the orange oxides before they take a dirt nap unless one of the fish picked em apart?
/rant off and now back to regularly scheduled program.
Tanks lookin ok for its age I reckon. Numbers look a touch better on nitrates and all else is good so going to have an adult beverage and get a dry shirt on :)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a bad day reefin better than a good day at work? Not sure on that today. Frag I cut for Rich turned purplish grey night good no biggie will cut fresh. Orange oxides that we’re beautiful last night gone I mean plug is just about barren and don’t see the polyp colony anywhere in rank even after moving some rocks. After this find Fred Sanford our pincushion urchin leaded for bear new hammer corals ripped from his hole in rock and some plain zoas that had been making a comeback strapped on ;Facepalm. Reglued what I found but geez Louise pincushion May need to be relocated he’s an freaking bulldozer and a half.
Hope to find the orange oxides before they take a dirt nap unless one of the fish picked em apart?
/rant off and now back to regularly scheduled program.
Tanks lookin ok for its age I reckon. Numbers look a touch better on nitrates and all else is good so going to have an adult beverage and get a dry shirt on :)
Glad u found the carmen San Diego polyps. Haha. They will recover.

I'm debating an urchin too... for my sump. It's almost ready

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad u found the carmen San Diego polyps. Haha. They will recover.

I'm debating an urchin too... for my sump. It's almost ready
I’d say sump him. Mines pulling stuff I thought were glued down good......

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back