Raised white dot on eye?

trophyhimbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed a white raised spot on the black cardinalfish's right eye on Friday and fish was behaving normally. There are no other white spots directly on the fish (please trust this, the picture has some glass debris, copepods, and algae growth) and there are no other fish in the tank (firefish took an unfortunate jumping adventure last week). Inverts include a variety of snails, one hermit crab, a fire shrimp, and a tiger conch. It kinda looks like a big white pimple and that eye seems to have gone cloudy. Just got back from a camping trip and she is not behaving like she used to and is "hiccuping" and listless at the bottom of the tank. She is not interested in any frozen mysis shrimp or reacting to anything near her. She floated around back to the fire shrimp and then floated back out front and is now in one bottom spot. What could this be?

Nitrates: 0.8ppm
Phosphates: 0.04ppm
Salinity: 1.025

Tank completed initial ammonia cycle about 5-6 weeks ago and is currently going through diatoms and algae. Autofeeder has been feeding pellets every 12 hours and I supplement with frozen mysis shrimp. I no longer want to put anymore fish in this tank :crying-face: At least the invertebrates and algae are thriving...

PXL_20230514_181330125.MP.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I noticed a white raised spot on the black cardinalfish's right eye on Friday and fish was behaving normally. There are no other white spots directly on the fish (please trust this, the picture has some glass debris, copepods, and algae growth) and there are no other fish in the tank (firefish took an unfortunate jumping adventure last week). Inverts include a variety of snails, one hermit crab, a fire shrimp, and a tiger conch. It kinda looks like a big white pimple and that eye seems to have gone cloudy. Just got back from a camping trip and she is not behaving like she used to and is "hiccuping" and listless at the bottom of the tank. She is not interested in any frozen mysis shrimp or reacting to anything near her. She floated around back to the fire shrimp and then floated back out front and is now in one bottom spot. What could this be?

Tank completed initial ammonia cycle about 5-6 weeks ago and is currently going through diatoms and algae. Autofeeder has been feeding pellets every 12 hours and I supplement with frozen mysis shrimp. I no longer want to put anymore fish in this tank :crying-face: At least the invertebrates and algae are thriving...

These fish susceptible to popeye for some reason and this may be a result of eye injury where protective layer id affected.
Treat eye in quarantine using Maracyn AKA maracyn 1 which is ethromyacin for 5 days

OP
OP
trophyhimbo

trophyhimbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish susceptible to popeye for some reason and this may be a result of eye injury where protective layer id affected.
Treat eye in quarantine using Maracyn AKA maracyn 1 which is ethromyacin for 5 days

Thank you so much! At least there's an explanation and it doesn't sound like the tank itself is inhospitable. Will try to source the treatment ASAP

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

While this does look like a superficial eye injury, the fish not eating doesn't line up with that. Is the other eye totally clear, or a little cloudy, I can't tell. Can you also post a short video of the fish?

This could be flukes.....

Jay

OP
OP
trophyhimbo

trophyhimbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this does look like a superficial eye injury, the fish not eating doesn't line up with that. Is the other eye totally clear, or a little cloudy, I can't tell. Can you also post a short video of the fish?

This could be flukes.....

Jay

The other eye is totally clear from what I can tell. I attempted to take a video, but it won't reveal anything other than that picture will since the fish is now just not moving... but still breathing.

This fish and the only other fish I had put in the tank came pre-quarantined (Dr. Reef) and the inverts came from Reef Cleaners which does not keep fish with their inverts. I assumed I wouldn't have introduced something like flukes into the tank, but I can see if those symptoms line up with the behavior.

I was unfortunately away for the weekend, so was unable to observe any behavior until I got back.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hope it works out.

OP
OP
trophyhimbo

trophyhimbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish has passed...

I have a theory though. I was pretty diligent about trimming back some growth every morning during this ugly brown stage and perhaps what I thought was brown algae was actually dinos? Came back from a weekend away and the brown strings all had air bubbles at the ends and middle, which I must have been clearing away with a daily clean. No invertebrate deaths that I've noticed yet (have a variety of 12 snails in there, a hermit crab, a tiger conch, and a fire shrimp), but maybe the black cardinalfish was sensitive to something in the water or ate some dinos?

I can detect nitrates and phosphates and have no corals yet. I am going to do a black out and cover my tank with some paper for a few days and see what the tank looks like afterwards. Here is the tank now (sorry for lighting, haven't gotten the photography down...)

PXL_20230514_185609706.MP-01.jpeg

Perhaps the dino was photosynthetic and was able to outcompete other not-as-problematic algae and/or bacteria? Could dose some bacterial supplement and more copepods (although these guys are already all over my glass) in a few days if things clear up to keep it at bay if whatever is in my tank recedes... You guys think I'm going down the right path?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other eye is totally clear from what I can tell. I attempted to take a video, but it won't reveal anything other than that picture will since the fish is now just not moving... but still breathing.

This fish and the only other fish I had put in the tank came pre-quarantined (Dr. Reef) and the inverts came from Reef Cleaners which does not keep fish with their inverts. I assumed I wouldn't have introduced something like flukes into the tank, but I can see if those symptoms line up with the behavior.

I was unfortunately away for the weekend, so was unable to observe any behavior until I got back.

Thanks for the video, sorry, but it doesn't give me any other clues!

Jay

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back