Raising Alkalinty

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started using Triton on 4/4 30 gallons
Started dosing 2.5 ml I am now dosing 5 ml and the alkalinity is staying at 7.1 ppm/7.2 ppm. Ca has came down to 440 ppm Ma is still high but I did see a slight reduction and need to check nitrate and phosphate that's where I stand right now I am thinking I would like to see the alkalinity more towards 8 ppm
that was my log this morning I usually goes about 7:30 pm I just checked alkalinity and it was or is 6.8
How do I raise alkalinity

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started dosing 2.5 ml I am now dosing 5 ml and the alkalinity is staying at 7.1 ppm/7.2 ppm. Ca has came down to 440 ppm Ma is still high but I did see a slight reduction and need to check nitrate and phosphate that's where I stand right now I am thinking I would like to see the alkalinity more towards 8 ppm
that was my log this morning I usually goes about 7:30 pm I just checked alkalinity and it was or is 6.8

What test are you using? Also, are you using Triton Core or Other? I use Core and have brought my Alk up to 9.0 dKH.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use core 7 and my DKH varies on dosing, I dose through a doser and dose a small amount every hours through a 24hr period. Its recommended to keep it at natural sea water which is actually 7. as long as its stable id leave it, stability is the key, If you want to buffer it up you can use the alk portion of any 2 part to buffer. I worried alot about this when i went to triton but found a level off point at around 8.5DKH i would really prefer it to be around 7.5DKH but oh well.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Alk with Triton Core 7 is part 3A and B.
just go ahead and increase them.
I know Triton says dose all equally but that's for the start up, eventually it changes.
It has to or your other stuff will skyrocket.
As far as the trace elements I don't know that they could be overdosed.

Yes I would however double check your Alk with a different test kit before you go to far.
Out of curiosity what salt mix are you using?
I would bet Tropic Marin Pro. That's good salt and I dose more than double the Alk to the other two. I like it that way.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk with Triton Core 7 is part 3A and B.
just go ahead and increase them.
I know Triton says dose all equally but that's for the start up, eventually it changes.
It has to or your other stuff will skyrocket.
As far as the trace elements I don't know that they could be overdosed.

Yes I would however double check your Alk with a different test kit before you go to far.
Out of curiosity what salt mix are you using?
I would bet Tropic Marin Pro. That's good salt and I dose more than double the Alk to the other two. I like it that way.
you're right on the salt and Hannah tester I have checked the calibrate the tolerance in my opinion just way too big but mine is within that tolerance
could this be because I've mixed a&b together but I dose 1 & 2 5ml mix 3a and 3b dose 10ml
alk was always low 7.1pph but when I started Ca was high 500ppm Ma 1520 ppm just checked my calcium is still fine 4:45 ppm have not checked magnesium but I saw slight reduction the last test

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're right on the salt and Hannah tester I have checked the calibrate the tolerance in my opinion just way too big but mine is within that tolerance
could this be because I've mixed a&b together but I dose 1 & 2 5ml mix 3a and 3b dose 10ml
alk was always low 7.1pph but when I started Ca was high 500ppm Ma 1520 ppm just checked my calcium is still fine 4:45 ppm have not checked magnesium but I saw slight reduction the last test
I mean this sounds normal doesn't it corals over starting use more alkalinity everything is balancing out I hope

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes your on the right track.
I would increase your alk to 11 and give it a day and test.
Keep going until you hit or get close to your target and drop it back if it goes over.
Just go slow with slight increments.
Sounds like your doing just fine though.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update this morning from last night I dosed 5 ml for solution #1&2 and 20 ml for 3a and 3b. The only change was +10 ml on solutions 3a and 3b that were mixed.
The test this morning was KH 6.9 dKH. Ca stayed the same and Ma is still high.
Now what do I do...........I don't dose until tonight as a rule should I change that.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope give it time. Just keep adding the 20.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 76 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back