Ratios for Dosing Copper Power

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once 1.75ppm is reached you have two options:

Treat for 30 days and then start removing copper via water change or cuprisorb etc.

Treat for 14 days and then transfer the fish to a second sterile QT.

It's important to monitor/maintain the therapuetic Cu level throughout whichever route you take.

Just curios, but if copper was added after fish in, and allowed time for cysts to form ring there was no shield to stop that, how come the run time is 30 days and not 76?

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curios, but if copper was added after fish in, and allowed time for cysts to form ring there was no shield to stop that, how come the run time is 30 days and not 76?

From the Copper section of treatment options:
"Indeed, even 30 days may not be sufficient in some rare cases. This is why it is so important to observe after treatment ends, to ensure symptoms do not return."

I like the transfer to a sterile QT myself.

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been doing my first QT ever with a couple of Bangaii Cardinals. I am finding that the ratio of Copper Power in the beginning of this thread is not lining up with either my tester or Copper Power. When using the sticky my PPM using the Hana checker is always low. I am using syringes to add the copper power, I am using a 4 qt measuring container to measure water. For example, I did my 25% water change today. I have 16 gallons in my 20L breeder so I changed out 4 gallons of water. Using the Ratios I would need to dose 4.13ML of copper power to the 4 gallons of water to get 1.75PPM of copper. When I did this my hanna checker read 1.48 PPM. I needed to add roughly .86ml more copper power to bring my reading to 1.78ppm. So what am I doing wrong? Also does copper power lose its potency in the tank or does it stay stable? I have a couple of PVC elbows, a power head, a hang on back filter with a sponge for bacteria. Thank for all of the work you have done with this!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been doing my first QT ever with a couple of Bangaii Cardinals. I am finding that the ratio of Copper Power in the beginning of this thread is not lining up with either my tester or Copper Power. When using the sticky my PPM using the Hana checker is always low. I am using syringes to add the copper power, I am using a 4 qt measuring container to measure water. For example, I did my 25% water change today. I have 16 gallons in my 20L breeder so I changed out 4 gallons of water. Using the Ratios I would need to dose 4.13ML of copper power to the 4 gallons of water to get 1.75PPM of copper. When I did this my hanna checker read 1.48 PPM. I needed to add roughly .86ml more copper power to bring my reading to 1.78ppm. So what am I doing wrong? Also does copper power lose its potency in the tank or does it stay stable? I have a couple of PVC elbows, a power head, a hang on back filter with a sponge for bacteria. Thank for all of the work you have done with this!
It could be that the potency of your bottle varies a bit. I haven't found that to be the case personally. It could be some absorption in your mixing container or depending on what kind of sponge material you use. I do typically experience some absorption during the ramp up period.

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be that the potency of your bottle varies a bit. I haven't found that to be the case personally. It could be some absorption in your mixing container or depending on what kind of sponge material you use. I do typically experience some absorption during the ramp up period.
Hmm.. Not sure, I just mixed it in a old Tropic Marin Pro salt bucket. Do you think that would absorb it? Also the sponge in my QT tank is just a standard aqua clear sponge. Shouldn't have any special properties to it. I guess I just need to test a bit more to make sure it stay above 1.5ppm.

Shannon Harlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will live rock absorb and effect levels if copper. I just want keep my bio filter going and hiding spot for fish. I dont care if they cant go in dt

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a cheat sheet for everyone who doesn't like math. Permission to use on the first post.

Here is the dose per gallon for different concentrations:
1.0ppm = 0.59 ml/gallon
1.25ppm = 0.7375 ml/gallon
1.50ppm = 0.885 ml/gallon
1.75ppm = 1.0325 ml/gallon
2.00ppm = 1.18ml/gallon
2.25ppm = 1.3275ml/gallon
2.50ppm = 1.475ml/gallon (as confirmed on the bottle)

Now look at the chart, select the concentration you desire, multiply the ml/gallon x actual gallons in QT and presto!

Ex.
I have a 10 gallon qt and I am looking to start at 1.00ppm.
I take 10gallonQT x 0.59ml/gallon = 5.9ml to be dosed to reach 1.0ppm in the 10 gallon qt.

Now I ramp up the qt to 1.75ppm over a few days and I need to do a 4 gallon water change (Stupid Ammonia!) 4gallons x 1.0325ml/gallon = 4.13ml of copper power in the new salt water to keep the tank at 1.75ml.

Much simpler. You can keep the chart in your medicine cabinet with the copper power or write it on a sticky note and stick it to the copper power bottle! If you look at the above example, you can see you can estimate the math relatively closely with out a calculator.

Happy QTing!

Brien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to follow-up and see if I'm on the right post-treatment plan. I'm running a fish only system, display tank is what was treated.

I did 30-days of Copper Power with an end reading of 1.79 ppm.

Did three 40% water changes over three days and ran carbon for a week and I'm now at .35 ppm.

Is it critical to lower the copper more right now or can I just lower it over time during my normal water change schedule (once every 3-4 weeks)? Secondly, I want to get a CUC back in there. Is .35 ppm low enough for inverts and snails?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to follow-up and see if I'm on the right post-treatment plan. I'm running a fish only system, display tank is what was treated.

I did 30-days of Copper Power with an end reading of 1.79 ppm.

Did three 40% water changes over three days and ran carbon for a week and I'm now at .35 ppm.

Is it critical to lower the copper more right now or can I just lower it over time during my normal water change schedule (once every 3-4 weeks)? Secondly, I want to get a CUC back in there. Is .35 ppm low enough for inverts and snails?
You are on the right track. Yes.

I can't answer what level of copper inverts will tolerate. I can tell you I wouldn't be comfortable putting inverts into the system until you register .05ppm or less.

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning @HotRocks,

What is the best way to remove last traces of copper from your system after quarantining. Im assuming full vinegar wash, Full water change, etc. But what about anything left in system possibly missed during cleaning. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning @HotRocks,

What is the best way to remove last traces of copper from your system after quarantining. Im assuming full vinegar wash, Full water change, etc. But what about anything left in system possibly missed during cleaning. Thanks in advance.
A good wash and rinse should be suitable. You can also run carbon or cuprisorb to remove any trace amounts. If the tank will be re-used as a QT then I wouldn't even worry about it.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Quick question. How do ya'll transfer your fish into the DT. I got the impression that some of you change water to get down to 1.0 PPM for your next QT batch so the water of the transfer of the fish will have copper in it. Even if you net them, water in the net will have copper. Are there concerns for copper poisoning of your inverts netting your QT'ed fish and moving them over?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Quick question. How do ya'll transfer your fish into the DT. I got the impression that some of you change water to get down to 1.0 PPM for your next QT batch so the water of the transfer of the fish will have copper in it. Even if you net them, water in the net will have copper. Are there concerns for copper poisoning of your inverts netting your QT'ed fish and moving them over?
I never transfer fish directly from copper to DT. I keep them in a med free tank for a couple weeks post treatment to observe and make sure they are clear.

If you are transferring them into DT directly from a copper tank which I would advise against doing then you could simply dip the fish into a bucket of newly mixed SW between the QT and DT. This would rinse off any copper. Even though I'd imagine a drop or two wouldn't be enough to hurt anything.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never transfer fish directly from copper to DT. I keep them in a med free tank for a couple weeks post treatment to observe and make sure they are clear.

If you are transferring them into DT directly from a copper tank which I would advise against doing then you could simply dip the fish into a bucket of newly mixed SW between the QT and DT. This would rinse off any copper. Even though I'd imagine a drop or two wouldn't be enough to hurt anything.

Ya getting down to near 0 PPM if you are using one QT is pretty much impossible - reason why I asked. In my case - I only use one QT

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya getting down to near 0 PPM if you are using one QT is pretty much impossible - reason why I asked. In my case - I only use one QT

I see. Yes no worries there. As mentioned above you could "rinse" them in some fresh saltwater.

The concentration being so low in the QT and then a few drops hitting DT would likely not be enough to cause any type of an issue. I do however ALWAYS error to the side of caution as this hobby is very unforgiving.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Yes no worries there. As mentioned above you could "rinse" them in some fresh saltwater.

The concentration being so low in the QT and then a few drops hitting DT would likely not be enough to cause any type of an issue. I do however ALWAYS error to the side of caution as this hobby is very unforgiving.

Thanks. Can I put them in a 1 gallon bucket of my DT water? I'm pretty confident my DT is free of stuff as everything was QT'ed. I have drip transferred fish over - but felt it was a overkill since both the QT and DT match temp and salinity wise.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that works and then toss the gallon when done.

No need to acclimate if temp and salinity match.

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t seem to find the info and know I’ve read it before. When treating with copper I know we aren’t supposed to add certain other things to the water or it becomes toxic. I thought it was prime and cupramine but can’t seem to find it.

I am treating some clowns with cupramine since hats all that I could get quick. And when feeding this morning added some selcon. After the fact I got worried but thought selcon was ok for the vitamins and immune system.

I’ve looked in a few threads and much have read over it. I know the info was here somewhere. Help?

Additionally, when you are ready to transfer to an observation tank and DT, how are you doing it to minimize copper getting into those tanks? If you net the fish, no doubt the net will have copper on it, however minimal. Even if you net and then turn the net over above the tank you will get some drops from the net. I assume that minimal amount would not be detectable?

Once net touches QT with copper that net is labeled and only used for that tank with copper. Same with any other equipment/buckets, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t seem to find the info and know I’ve read it before. When treating with copper I know we aren’t supposed to add certain other things to the water or it becomes toxic. I thought it was prime and cupramine but can’t seem to find it.

I am treating some clowns with cupramine since hats all that I could get quick. And when feeding this morning added some selcon. After the fact I got worried but thought selcon was ok for the vitamins and immune system.

I’ve looked in a few threads and much have read over it. I know the info was here somewhere. Help?

Additionally, when you are ready to transfer to an observation tank and DT, how are you doing it to minimize copper getting into those tanks? If you net the fish, no doubt the net will have copper on it, however minimal. Even if you net and then turn the net over above the tank you will get some drops from the net. I assume that minimal amount would not be detectable?

Once net touches QT with copper that net is labeled and only used for that tank with copper. Same with any other equipment/buckets, etc.
That is correct, you do not want to mix cupramine and prime. Prime is not safe with any type of copper. It does increase the toxicity of copper.

As far as worrying about a few drops of copper when transferring the fish from copper tank to a clean tank that is not any concern. It's such a minute amount that it won't be a problem.

Daniel400G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question.

I just moved my leonardi wrasses and clowns from my copper qt tank to DT.

I did a 50 percent water change and filled the rest with saltwater.
I added nitrofurazone to my qt.
My question is the copper power might be around 1 ish, I think.
With the nitro in the water will be hanna checker work with the yellow tinted in the water?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back