RBTA’s need some help

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning!

I’m in need some help with my Rose Bubble tip anemones.
Attached is a pic of how my 3 nems look currently in my 20 gallon mixed reef. They have looked this way for the last few months in the tank, they looked good for the first few weeks but have since came to look like this.

Alk is a bit low. Phosphates are currently low and nitrates are slowly rising (nutrients hit 0 for both, slowly increasing nitrates again after dino outbreak/ small crash).

I can get actual parameters when I get home, but the tank has been pretty stable over the 2-3 months so any help would be appreciated!

Tank:
Skimmer
Ai Prime HD (see settings)
Waterbox cube 20
Running carbon / UV

Thanks!

4504D18E-8F96-4B9D-BE79-B9BDDA214F77.png 2BBDDFF3-9EFF-41C5-92A4-F07D842EC68D.jpeg E15BF4CC-961D-4D10-ACAB-1B794A827807.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Light and water flow plus feedings are necessary
May be too low of light as pics show them stretching.
feed mysis shrimp 2-3x per week
Moderate light and water flow to be exact and assure nitrate and phosphate aren’t elevated

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light and water flow plus feedings are necessary
May be too low of light as pics show them stretching.
feed mysis shrimp 2-3x per week
Moderate light and water flow to be exact and assure nitrate and phosphate aren’t elevated
Thanks for the info!

Flow is good as SPS has been doing well. I have an RFG on the return and a DC wavemaker. The UV also pushes a lot of water around in the display. I can try to increasing lighting a bit, I will also post pics of how light the tank looks with current settings. Pictures were taken very late in the day.

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How new is your tank and how long have they been in your tank?
Tank is a year and a half old. Has been very stable over the last 3+ months after the outbreak.

Sorry I should've included that when discussing nems!

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a year and a half old. Has been very stable over the last 3+ months after the outbreak.

Sorry I should've included that when discussing nems!
Okay just wanted to make sure, most nem mistakes is adding too soon. You mentioned alk being low which they definitely do not like alk swings. Your growing sps with those settings on a prime? Just curious cause i have 2 primes on a 65gal and have the settings cranked up just for lps.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my nitrate between 10 and 15. My nems seem to like it there. I target feed maybe once a month. Using kessil 360's set at 85% intensity during peak.

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay just wanted to make sure, most nem mistakes is adding too soon. You mentioned alk being low which they definitely do not like alk swings. Your growing sps with those settings on a prime? Just curious cause i have 2 primes on a 65gal and have the settings cranked up just for lps.
The intensity have been climbing over the last few months as I was battling a lot of algae in the months prior. But yes it has been keeping SPS (more keeping alive than growing as of point unfortunately). The light isn't too high above the waterline either. Alk has been low (IO reef crystals) since I've started the tank but it has been stable over the past few months.

Are the whites too low? I am a bit fan of how the light looks with the increased blues. Any tips from your Ai Primes?

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my nitrate between 10 and 15. My nems seem to like it there. I target feed maybe once a month. Using kessil 360's set at 85% intensity during peak.
So possibly increasing lighting more? I will post pics of how bright the tank is during peak times as well. Pics were taken towards the end of cycle.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So possibly increasing lighting more? I will post pics of how bright the tank is during peak times as well. Pics were taken towards the end of cycle.
Pics won't help determine. The anemone will let you know. If they're as high as possible and still reaching, lighting can be SLOWLY increased. If they're still lower on the rock work it's probably sufficient. In my personal experience it's more likely due to your lack of nutrients.

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics won't help determine. The anemone will let you know. If they're as high as possible and still reaching, lighting can be SLOWLY increased. If they're still lower on the rock work it's probably sufficient. In my personal experience it's more likely due to your lack of nutrients.
I will keep increasing nutrients and slowly keep increasing lighting.
Hopefully they will start to puff back up...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the info!

Flow is good as SPS has been doing well. I have an RFG on the return and a DC wavemaker. The UV also pushes a lot of water around in the display. I can try to increasing lighting a bit, I will also post pics of how light the tank looks with current settings. Pictures were taken very late in the day.
What flow is good for SPS May be too much for the nems
You will have to balance the flow, hence the challenges of a mixed reef
My nitrate is.4 and mine happy. They’re not fussy with nitrate unless excessive

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The intensity have been climbing over the last few months as I was battling a lot of algae in the months prior. But yes it has been keeping SPS (more keeping alive than growing as of point unfortunately). The light isn't too high above the waterline either. Alk has been low (IO reef crystals) since I've started the tank but it has been stable over the past few months.

Are the whites too low? I am a bit fan of how the light looks with the increased blues. Any tips from your Ai Primes?
Keep in mind I have mine substantially turned up more but thats because my tank is 24" deep which I was unaware of these lights not being strong enough for that depth. Even with all that though I only have white at 30% and my par levels are 85-135 throughout the entire tank (Sandbed and rockwork). If I built my scape higher there are some 300par levels about 6" below water level. The depth highly affects the usuable output of these lights. Screenshot_20210914-112242_myAI.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back