Rbta need treatment?

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look as I should treat? Rbta. Had for 2 years, a split from the parent that I've had for ~5 years. Parent is in a different tank. This one is in a big tank by itself and some coral/snails. It's been bubbled up till about 2 days ago then it moved and shrunk. Appears like it got partially stuck in a powerhead/injured tentacles on one small section that appear dark except powerhead has been off. It's been deflated/almost flat since but randomly comes out like in pic.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look as I should treat? Rbta. Had for 2 years, a split from the parent that I've had for ~5 years. Parent is in a different tank. This one is in a big tank by itself and some coral/snails. It's been bubbled up till about 2 days ago then it moved and shrunk. Appears like it got partially stuck in a powerhead/injured tentacles on one small section that appear dark except powerhead has been off. It's been deflated/almost flat since but randomly comes out like in pic.
Definitely would be a good idea. Do you have the meds to treat it?

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure I bought Cipro a few years back so I'll look for it. I do not have a spare light for a hospital tank though. I might be able to get a hospital set up tomorrow if it's alive. I noticed it's flat during lights on/daylight but comes out a bit once it's dark. Mouth is not gapping. It's not expelling anything I've seen. I don't feed it besides what it gets when I feed the tank.

For some reason I can't attach pics from my phone on this site anymore

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure I bought Cipro a few years back so I'll look for it. I do not have a spare light for a hospital tank though. I might be able to get a hospital set up tomorrow if it's alive. I noticed it's flat during lights on/daylight but comes out a bit once it's dark. Mouth is not gapping. It's not expelling anything I've seen. I don't feed it besides what it gets when I feed the tank.

For some reason I can't attach pics from my phone on this site anymore
Pictures are helpful, but not needed. I would treat regardless since it got injured and is deflating more than usual.

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures are helpful, but not needed. I would treat regardless since it got injured and is deflating more than usual.
I don't think it was injured, nothing it could get injured by. It just looks like 1/4 of it's tentacles are retracted to the point they don't exist. I will get a hospital set up. I've got a 10 gallon with a topfin lid that has the cheap light. Will a hob filter work?

Attachments

• IMG_20220221_212059845~2.jpg
    IMG_20220221_212059845~2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this is just after lights out. During daylight it looks like a flattened volcano. Not sure how it got sick, it's been fine for a long time, even had bubbles unlike it's parent. The only thing I feed the tank is phyto and a small amount of frozen for shrimp/nessarious snails and to keep nutrients up.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it was injured, nothing it could get injured by. It just looks like 1/4 of it's tentacles are retracted to the point they don't exist. I will get a hospital set up. I've got a 10 gallon with a topfin lid that has the cheap light. Will a hob filter work?
I would follow this protocol as closely as possible: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/protocol-for-using-antibiotics-to-treat-infected-anemones.758495/

HOB filters are not needed because you will be doing large water changes. Having a powerhead is critical. They do need a good light source as well. Dose at night to prevent med degradation.

Reading the article in this post is not optional as it lays out all the steps. :)

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would follow this protocol as closely as possible: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/protocol-for-using-antibiotics-to-treat-infected-anemones.758495/

HOB filters are not needed because you will be doing large water changes. Having a powerhead is critical. They do need a good light source as well. Dose at night to prevent med degradation.

Reading the article in this post is not optional as it lays out all the steps. :)
I've read that before and just did again and the one by amoo.

Question, since it seems to have run away from the light it's been under for 6+ months, should I change the settings? It's an ai primehd. It's parented to the tank my fish and other rbta are in. Or just leave. Will my coral in the tank be ok without a light for 7 days?

IMG_20220221_200944060~2.jpg

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Question, since it seems to have run away from the light it's been under for 6+ months, should I change the settings? It's an ai primehd. It's parented to the tank my fish and other rbta are in. Or just leave. Will my coral in the tank be ok without a light for 7 days?

I would personally leave the light and settings. The risk of damaging your healthy anemone and corals over a sick tiny one is not justifiable IMO.

I don’t really suggest tuning your lights if all your corals look good. You can rent a par meter, maybe it’s too weak, maybe it’s too strong, but you will never know by just looking with your eyes.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you take a better picture of the corals on the bottom? Are they bleached out, or is it just the blue that makes it look like they are?

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a better picture of the corals on the bottom? Are they bleached out, or is it just the blue that makes it look like they are?
The pic with the clowns and big rbta are in a separate tank. That is the parent nem. The coral in this tank are fine besides where the parent stung half my 50+ head candy cane. That pic was just a reference to the fact the two primes, on separate tsnks, are master/slave so they run the same schedule. The tank the sick nem is in has an sps and a bunch of the blue stylophora or bird'snest , whatever you call them and a green plate coral all seem to grow, although slowly. The nem was right at the top of the water directly under the light till Friday.

Would a full spectrum led with a clip on reflector work? I've got several from when I cultured my own phyto. Otherwise I've got a 6 bulb t5 fixture I use to start seeds that has 6500k grow bulbs

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did find my Cipro but it is expired. 12/21 . Most all of my meds are expired and none ever got used as I only buy clean up crews anymore.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did find my Cipro but it is expired. 12/21 . Most all of my meds are expired and none ever got used as I only buy clean up crews anymore.
I would still use it. More likely to save the anemone than not using it IMO.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back