Reasons to change lights?

Wigi316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 are getting hard to find i think that you have to replace them every 6 months

NewbsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running 2 Hydra 26 HDs. Had them 5 years and just recently one of the lights is off on color during ramp down. Who knows what ill change to next.

Jenuvio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
T5 fixtures!

I inherited a tank setup for a very good deal and have decided to keep it very budget friendly. Spent more money on corals and fish than dry goods. I always get tempted by the shimmer and hype of LED but what keeps me from changing is the fact that everything is doing well. If stability is #1 i feel it’s best to replace my T5’s than to buy an LED.

No ramp up, lights go on at 100% for 8hours per day. Everyone is happy.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm changing my lights up for a tank upgrade. i suppose i could just keep using my two ai prime hds, but without a canopy i think it'd look less than ideal with different lights and i want more power than they can provide

i like my primes, app works great, tank looks good, but i didn't really consider using their more powerful options in the hydras. i'm sure they're great, but i kind of just wanted to try something else. leaning on going with the reefi duos, but curious what dana riddle whips out with the reefbreeder research. lighting a 4' tank for $700 is preferable to doing it with at least $1300..

dtimerunner1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many reasons we keep or change out our lighting on our reefs, I'm curious as to why others out there might decide its the right time to swap out fixtures.
We changed ours simply because they quit working.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reasons for changing - success with growing corals. If that isn't the problem, then it's keeping up with the Jones. Kinda like traded in your functional smart phone to have the latest and greatest gadget.

mtnrunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years back I switched from MH and tubes to LED. I wanted to eliminate the expensive ongoing cost of replacing the MH. Im happy with my LEDs and coral growth and no plans to change. I do tend to “like” the latest tech gear, but it takes a pretty good thing to make me jump.

OP
OP
RRTV-Cody

RRTV-Cody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years back I switched from MH and tubes to LED. I wanted to eliminate the expensive ongoing cost of replacing the MH. Im happy with my LEDs and coral growth and no plans to change. I do tend to “like” the latest tech gear, but it takes a pretty good thing to make me jump.
Too bad they don't have an upgrade plan like they do with phones lol

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everyone changes out their lights every few years. My tank has been set up since 2004 (almost 16 years!) and I'm still running the original 3 metal halides and ballasts. I did have to change out my actinic VHO bulbs for Reef Brite blue LEDs a few years ago when the 6 ft bulbs became almost impossible to find.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have switched so many times and mostly because it allowed me to upgrade in some way. Metal halide, T5, compact fluorescent, Kessil, Arctic T247, sodium (refugium), MarsAqua, AI Sol Blue, RapidLED Onyx, Radion G3 Pro, RapidLED DIY.

Right now, I don't see myself switching for a long time. I have reached the "pinnacle" and have the lights I've wanted for a long time, Orphek Atlantik V4. :0) They are terrific. Super easy to program, terrific spectrum, excellent blending, ramping is smooth. There are other lights, or combinations of lights that can do the same thing but on a larger tank I don't think there is much better.

I just recently replaced 9 fixtures over my 300DD (3 x rapidled Onyx, 6 x AI SOl Blue) with only 3 (!) of the Atlantiks. Now, I have more control, way fewer cords and power supplies (much cleaner look), better coverage, and more usable light (i.e., no wasted white channels).

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on The fence. I had 2 metal halides and came across a great deal local on 2 used orpheks. v2 but upgraded to v4.1. So I hoped on them and ran them a few months then had some channels stop working and a few diodes burn out. Upon research this was seemingly common, and frustrating as the new board wasnt even 2 years old. I took them down and sent them to the US rep and put my halides back up. Now I’m looking at a decent sized investment to fix/update both lights or just keeping my halides(maybe swap Out bulbs in a few months). The issue I have is multi level but the biggest one for me is just the fact that if I don’t fix them then they are almost worthless since they don’t work and need updated to work. So yeah an “upgrade“ here went wrong and I’m not sure I’ll go back. I’ve alsways loved halides.

corey

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about any light on the market grows coral. The question is what would make you say, "now that's a value add that I would pay for"? All phones make calls, all iPhones have apps etc but people still will buy the new iPhone when it comes out... Why buy new lights? Boredom seems to be the only answer I'm s ring here but isn't there any other reasons? Quieter? More efficient like covering a larger area? Space saver? Outlet saver? Or non functional like just to have the new flashy thing? Etc.

Good point. I still own an IPhone 4 and run MH. I always question the wisdom of messing with what works. I also think the worst way to deal with algae outbreaks is to mess with ones lighting or use blackouts. It’s all about balance and stability.

Kali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have switched lights to fix something.
One tank started with MH, then T5 because of heat, then LED for the ramp up/down and cost.
Tiny tank went from CFL bulb to a Par30 bulb. That lasted for many years, until the recent AI Prime. In this tank, whatever light I moved away from just wasn't working for the corals. In the bigger tank, each light was growing corals just fine but I needed to fix something else.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s a combination of perceived value and the fact that humans are visually-motivated. Imagine you were just starting out and saw two tanks in the LFS, one with a bulky 8-bulb t5 unit over it and that “t5” look in the display. Sitting next to it is a tank with three sleek led fixtures, tons of shimmer and near glow in the dark corals. Add on top of this you have a have a sales rep telling you t5 has been around forever and that’s why they’re cheaper while these fancy “light emitting diodes” are the newest technology and that’s why they cost so much. Which light do you gravitate towards? Fast forward two years and your coral growth is ok. Maybe it could grow faster...Everyone has faster growth... Someone said Sanjay’s system grew out in two months. Everyone MUST have faster growth than me! So a new led light just came out with slightly better blending and a cleaner fixture shape. Do you upgrade to the “better” led or do you suddenly buy an 8-bulb t5 on a whim never having used one before? Most people go in one direction vs. sideways and onto a possibly better path for their system because they assume a better version of what they have right now is better than options they haven’t considered at all.

Xero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is mobius scaring you all away, or drawing you in with the notion of a single system? I'm just trying to understand.

I have had some poor experiences with mobius + versa, especially with android (I only can get it working with iPad half the time) plus various reliability issues. Mobius would have me running for the hills right now, lol.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is mobius scaring you all away, or drawing you in with the notion of a single system? I'm just trying to understand.

I have had some poor experiences with mobius + versa, especially with android (I only can get it working with iPad half the time) plus various reliability issues. Mobius would have me running for the hills right now, lol.

Got rid of 4 G5's due to them turning on in the middle of the night or resetting intensity on their own (Still an ongoing issue after updates). It doesn't help that all 4 of mine cracked and made popping noises. Either way, I'm glad there are folks who are happy with their G5's. Hopefully they enable wifi sooner or later.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back