Reasons to change lights?

RRTV-Cody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many reasons we keep or change out our lighting on our reefs, I'm curious as to why others out there might decide its the right time to swap out fixtures.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you have now?

My main tank has a kessil a350 purchased in 2012, an a360we and a brand new a360x - the x replaced an a360 purchased in either 2013 or 2014 that has been giving me issues. I can no longer change the spectrum and it blinks when first turned on. Still it's been repurposed to use as a coral qt light. I'll still use it until it completely burns out. The kessils are old but they are still growing corals. I have added 2 black boxes over the years to decrease shadowing, as well as repurposed an old dual T5 fixture for additional light.

Originally I bought that a350 as a test as led's were largely unproven. The 250w metal halide which was lighting the other side of my tank is now in use on my 90g (36x24 footprint). It's got a couple of led strips for additional light.

I have a cheapo T5 fixture over my frag tank, and a micmol led over my name - just wanted to try something different then a black box and it's a softy only tank.

OP
OP
RRTV-Cody

RRTV-Cody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, if corals are growing I would be hard pressed to change.
I run T5's and am thinking of adding a orphek light bar or 2.
Have 2 full new MH setups but went with a used T5 system so go figure.
very true, you shouldnt fix what isnt broken.. and WHAAA no LED? lol

OP
OP
RRTV-Cody

RRTV-Cody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main tank has a kessil a350 purchased in 2012, an a360we and a brand new a360x - the x replaced an a360 purchased in either 2013 or 2014 that has been giving me issues. I can no longer change the spectrum and it blinks when first turned on. Still it's been repurposed to use as a coral qt light. I'll still use it until it completely burns out. The kessils are old but they are still growing corals. I have added 2 black boxes over the years to decrease shadowing, as well as repurposed an old dual T5 fixture for additional light.

Originally I bought that a350 as a test as led's were largely unproven. The 250w metal halide which was lighting the other side of my tank is now in use on my 90g (36x24 footprint). It's got a couple of led strips for additional light.

I have a cheapo T5 fixture over my frag tank, and a micmol led over my name - just wanted to try something different then a black box and it's a softy only tank.
personally not a huge fan of Kessils just because they have a hard time getting light into the nooks and crannies. I know they grow coral just not a fan of shadows.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very true, you shouldnt fix what isnt broken.. and WHAAA no LED? lol
Yea I know all my reefing friends say the same about leds but cant argue with 8 T5's and the growth I get in a 10 month old tank.
20200502_145639.jpg

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I firmly believe a solid majority of people change from boredom alone. I changed from 8x54 watt t5ho to 2x250 watt mh because it was basically a free switch. Par is higher. I actually have LESS heat, and bulb changes are cheaper. Only way I’d consider changing at this point is if whatever I changed to was free. See no point in spending money on a lateral move

OP
OP
RRTV-Cody

RRTV-Cody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I firmly believe a solid majority of people change from boredom alone. I changed from 8x54 watt t5ho to 2x250 watt mh because it was basically a free switch. Par is higher. I actually have LESS heat, and bulb changes are cheaper. Only way I’d consider changing at this point is if whatever I changed to was free. See no point in spending money on a lateral move
What about the energy cost or the ability to view corals with the blues and violet spectrums? Or having a ramp up ramp down period? I know it's not necessary but makes for a nicer view don't you think?

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick a lighting method that grows coral and stick with it. You can set a tank back by changing your lighting.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the energy cost or the ability to view corals with the blues and violet spectrums? Or having a ramp up ramp down period? I know it's not necessary but makes for a nicer view don't you think?

Here’s the thing. I have an sps dominant tank with some old and large colonies at this point. I’m not a gear head. I value coral health and and growth above all. So the ramping thing? Doesn’t interest me. I like the tank to look how I like it to look. Never felt the personal need to have a color gradient shifting through the day. Just not a feature I value.

Now....I’m not saying it’s wrong to value that. If that brings a person joy and fulfillment with their overall reef experience, by all means indulge. It’s just not a valuable feature for me personally. I do have some blue led strips but just to extend the viewing period. I actually strongly prefer the tank under full spectrum and if these led strips weren’t basically free, I’d have opted to full spectrum supplemental lighting for morning and evening viewing at low intensity. I like to be able to see my tank for a long period, but 12 hours of 500+’par is overkill.

Not overly concerned with energy cost. The difference is negligible. It’s either run 500 watts of lighting and no heater, or run 300 or so watts of lighting with intermittent use of the 300 watt heater. Not interested in spending thousands on new lighting to save $10 a month in energy use.

Again. At the end of the day. There are no bad light choices. Just bad application. I’ve settled on what I believe to be the most economical means of lighting the tank at the highest value for what is important to me

OP
OP
RRTV-Cody

RRTV-Cody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick a lighting method that grows coral and stick with it. You can set a tank back by changing your lighting.
Just about any light on the market grows coral. The question is what would make you say, "now that's a value add that I would pay for"? All phones make calls, all iPhones have apps etc but people still will buy the new iPhone when it comes out... Why buy new lights? Boredom seems to be the only answer I'm s ring here but isn't there any other reasons? Quieter? More efficient like covering a larger area? Space saver? Outlet saver? Or non functional like just to have the new flashy thing? Etc.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a photon v2+ for my tank switched from Mars aqua and they worked but I didn't like the no programming and the spectrum was hard to dial in as for the photon it looks way better over the tank and has a lot more options with adjusting each channel

OP
OP
RRTV-Cody

RRTV-Cody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a photon v2+ for my tank switched from Mars aqua and they worked but I didn't like the no programming and the spectrum was hard to dial in as for the photon it looks way better over the tank and has a lot more options with adjusting each channel
Nice, congrats on the upgrade!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back