Reasons to change lights?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from Radion XR30 Pro G4's to ReeFi DUO Extremes for a specific reason...the ReeFi had no side glare like my Radion. My aquarium is in my living room, and when you sit on the couch or chairs to watch TV or just relax, the glare from the Radions is always in your face. The ReeFi, on the other hand, has no side glare and all the light is projected straight down into the tank. Here's a shot of the Radion on the left, and the ReeFi on the right:

9C44C9C7-C2BA-48AA-B29D-1EB4DAEEEB1B.thumb.jpeg.bed3a0831d7135199b39fd84a5deaebd.jpeg

See my full ReeFi review here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reefi-duo-extreme-led-unboxing-and-first-impressions.643718/

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kinda like the quest for greatness. People will look at their tank and want greater colors and the hottest corals. I don't think the first they think of is changing from mp40s to gyres or adding a kalk stirrer or something. People want to get a new LED bar or a new 360x or whatever is the newest that has that extra 420 violet diode in it.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally not a huge fan of Kessils just because they have a hard time getting light into the nooks and crannies. I know they grow coral just not a fan of shadows.
I don't like the death valley in June look. I prefer shadows and overhangs. I think the variety looks more realistic.

busytank.gif

OP
OP
RRTV-Cody

RRTV-Cody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kinda like the quest for greatness. People will look at their tank and want greater colors and the hottest corals. I don't think the first they think of is changing from mp40s to gyres or adding a kalk stirrer or something. People want to get a new LED bar or a new 360x or whatever is the newest that has that extra 420 violet diode in it.
[/QUO ever, flow over lighting. Good point.
Truest statement ever "flow is more important than lighting" good point!

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched from my 2 hydra 26s to a 6 x 24W ATI unit which I plan to supplement with led bars over my 24" cube.

Reasoning behind it is my tall scape... Even with the two hydra 26s over the tank I was still getting shadowing and if I raised the lights further, it would be uncomfortable to have people sit at the bar (which is next to the tank) without being blinded by led light.

The new light has reduced a lot of shadowing now and I actually quite like the look I get (I'm moving to whiter looks these days) and I dig the simplicity of it.

The Hydras are still awesome lights in my opinion, just not what was needed on my system anymore

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to build my own lights including halide retrofits . Soldering dozens of 3w LEDs got on my nerves so I switched to tweaking black boxes to get the balance I wanted.

However, black boxes lack shimmer, and i love shimmer. Currently playing with a Noopsyche that has the shimmer and right price. If royal blue LEDs werent limited to 3watt chips we would have way better lights on the market. A Cree XPH 70 if it were available in royal blue would put Kessel out of business.

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank upgrade has been the only reason for me. I love gadgets as much as anyone, but took to heart 'set it and forget'.

Upgrading tank meant I needed to increase lighting. I evaluated expanding what I currently had (buy more pucks) but ultimately went with a evergrow (reefbreeders in EU). I have also bought into the idea of a blanket of LEDs being better than pucks.

Only other reason I could see me doing it is if after PAR testing I found deficiencies. Either lack of spread or low power. If that happened i'd be in the same situation of either increasing/complimenting what I have or looking for a whole new solution.

I also think while lighting is important, it's most likely not the limiting factors for most of us. Improvements in our husbandry will likely yield better results for much less money -- better discipline in maintenance, testing, water changes, etc.... Similar to many other hobbies, you can spend money thinking it'll help reach your goal or you can improve yourself for free/less money . (Cycling, music, whatever:D)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think that most people understand that "new things" are not always "upgrades." In most cases, they are not... in normal life as well as reefing. I find that people with larger tanks are much slower to get new things since the money is a lot different - 10x LED units is a lot different than one or two.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from Radion XR30 Pro G4's to ReeFi DUO Extremes for a specific reason...the ReeFi had no side glare like my Radion. My aquarium is in my living room, and when you sit on the couch or chairs to watch TV or just relax, the glare from the Radions is always in your face. The ReeFi, on the other hand, has no side glare and all the light is projected straight down into the tank. Here's a shot of the Radion on the left, and the ReeFi on the right:

9C44C9C7-C2BA-48AA-B29D-1EB4DAEEEB1B.thumb.jpeg.bed3a0831d7135199b39fd84a5deaebd.jpeg

See my full ReeFi review here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reefi-duo-extreme-led-unboxing-and-first-impressions.643718/
Is the side glare caused by the diffuser ?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the side glare caused by the diffuser ?

No, the side glare was actually worse without the diffuser. The problem is the Radion convex lenses over each LED spreads the light sideways in addition to downwards. The ReeFi on the other hand uses concave reflectors with the LED inside so the light can only aim downward.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the side glare was actually worse without the diffuser. The problem is the Radion convex lenses over each LED spreads the light sideways in addition to downwards. The ReeFi on the other hand uses concave reflectors with the LED inside so the light can only aim downward.
Wow, I'm surprised people would put up with that. It would be totally annoying to me.

OP
OP
RRTV-Cody

RRTV-Cody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think that most people understand that "new things" are not always "upgrades." In most cases, they are not... in normal life as well as reefing. I find that people with larger tanks are much slower to get new things since the money is a lot different - 10x LED units is a lot different than one or two.
Preaching to the choir lol I have a 300 gallon DD.

OP
OP
RRTV-Cody

RRTV-Cody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I'm surprised people would put up with that. It would be totally annoying to me.
Well it helps with light blending and getting a consistent spectrum over the area, if you have a canopy it won't bother you lol. Doesn't work for some set ups.

Xero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did my research, I looked at how these were made, what they were made with, and I made my decision. I've never changed it. I did add a t5-hybrid to one tank after my SPS growth started shadowing, but that's about it. I'm not much of a fad/trend follower, and consider myself a fairly successful hobbyist. I often feel the people chasing different lights are also still chasing success, in all the wrong ways....

In fact, I was just watching two different videos where people were talking about higher-nutrient tanks don't even need as much light for growth, which explains how I was growing stuff like mad when I only had my lights set to 50% for a while and forgot, haha.

There's something also to be said about a bad mix of light, like I've seen weird combinations of T5s/LEDs or even bad settings, cause problems with certain algaes or what not, but that's more just programming and/or bulb choice issues. Measure twice, cut once. Do your research, and don't second guess yourself constantly. If you are - maybe the problem isn't the lights.

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched just due to cost of electricity from running 2 4’ ATI 8 bulb fixtures. The added benefit is not running a chiller as long.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why I originally ditched my MH lighting, I didn’t want to buy a chiller and pay the electric

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just switched to T5 hybrid with 2 Hydra 26’s.

Too much shadowing with just the hydras, too much uncertainty as far as spectrum and too expensive to get enough LEDs to get higher par for SPS

I think I’ll always run LED’s for ramp up/down and moonlight.

also the color banding from my hydras will probably push me to another LED eventually..

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back