Recommended Lens???

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Canon Rebel XTi and wondering what would be a good lens? I have an 18-55 Canon Macro Lens and a 75-300 Sigma Macro lens. But, I want something that I can get within an inch or two of the cora. l I want to start taking pictures through a photo box for top downs....... I am just learning the camera and typically only use the auto settings. I have a lot to learn!

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have a Canon you could check in to the Canon 100mm macro. A great third party lens is the Tamron 90mm SP Di Macro. There is also the Sigma 105mm Macro. These are all true macro lenses that will get you up close and personal.

That being said, if you are still shooting on auto, you should really learn to shoot on the semi-auto modes and eventually on manual. You will find that learning more about you camera and photography will make even the lenses you already have seem like new lenses because the photos you make will be so much better. It takes time and LOTS of practice but the good thing is being digital, you can shoot all day long then erase the pictures and start over the next day.

OP
OP
Reef Pets

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the information. I sell a lot of coral online. Therefore most of the pictures that I take are top down, I grow the coral in RubberMaid troughs.... This has made it hard to use a tripod and to practice because I take them free hand. Anyhow, i will look into the 100mm Canon Macro Lens. Is there a certain model number that would be best? I am not looking for the low end neither am I willing to spend $1000.00 for a lens. I have researched them but for the most part all of the information is Greek to me!

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the model number or if there is one. There might just be one lens, the 100mm Macro or there could be a couple variations of the same lens. But you are looking at about $500 for a new copy.

As far as the tripod issue, do you have a good tripod? If not of even if so, I can recommend a GREAT tripod that will actually allow your camera to hand out and over your tube to take picture from above. I have one and is is great. I can extend it high enough to were it is well above my head (I am 6'2") and it will go so low that the lens is actually touching the ground. You can also make the center shaft extend horizontally which will get the camera over the tube. The tripod I am talking about is the Manfrotto 055XPROB. It was less than $250 and is rock steady. I got mine from BH Photo.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/505860-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto__055XPROB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back