red knob sea star

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chad c.
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Chad c.

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 7, 2016
Messages
51
Reaction score
27
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've ended up getting a red knob sea star and my LFS told me it could survive off the Algae and residue produced. is that true or should I be feeding him?
 
Be careful as they are not reef safe as they age, from what I've read, which is why I've always shied away. Cool looking creatures though.
 
Yea, the current dt he is in I'm gonna keep as a FOWLR so no coral munchies for him.

I've been researching and it seems I can feed him nori(which I have left over from my tang before he passed). It's my first time keeping a star and he seems happy so I'm making sure I don't mess that up for him.
 
I think it's a carnivore, so you might try giving it some mysis/brine if you have that. May have better luck than nori.
 
Yea I gotta pick up some carnivore feeder. My LFS told me they just give him some nori and he eats so I might try it, but I'm leaning towards agreeing with the brine method
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 28.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new