Red Sea Max Nano - Long time Reader First time poster

nato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello every one

I've been a long time reader, but am a first time poster.

I've had my Red Sea Max Nano setup for nearly a year now.I've had my ups and downs...lost some corals, lost some fish.
The water parameters have always been pretty stead, nothing much to note apart from consistently low pH (around 7.9).

Had a recent spike in phosphate and nitrate and am dealing with a resulting algea bloom. But think i'm on top of it now.

20211013_135835.jpg
20211013_135829.jpg

I have zoa's, duncans, blastos, a birds nest (that has only just started to bleach :() and a BTA (which has been acting funny for a while now). Yeah, I knocked the birds nest over during a recent water change....needs to go to the shops to get some glue to put it back in place.

I have a pair of clown fish, a bi colour blenny, a golden head sleeper goby and a scopas tang. Along with some algea snails (including 100s of babies), 1 x zombie snail, golden ring cowrie, pepermint shrimp and some trochus snails and a porcelain crab.

It is pretty much a stock Red Sea Max Nano. I do have an AI nero 3 and I 3d printed an extension for the well behind the water return.

Having noticed the bleaching on the birds nest, I've reduced the lighting parameters. I think that and getting a good flow in the tank are my current frustrations....apart from the BTA.

It's tenticles are rather stubby. It doesn't react when i put food on/near it (ie.it does'nt cling to it or close up). I am reluctant to force food in its mouth, but have done once or twice out of desperation and stress. It doesn't move around the tank.

20211010_100030.jpg

I'm in a bit of a lull emotionally with the hobby because of the algea and the BTA and birds nest. I know its a patience game with reef husbandry. It will and I will get there. This small tank give me and my kids my joy looking at how it changes and reacts and evolves.

I hope you all like it.

I am happy for comments and suggestions on how to change or improve things.
I would be keen to seek feedback on my LED50 settings and Nero 3 placement and settings in the future.

I have plans for future upgrades and future corals and fish...but all in good time.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow may be an issue with the BTA. You could try moving to a few different locations to see if that makes any difference. I've also had issues with BTAs closing up in the past where the clownfish harassed it to death (literally).

OP
OP
nato

nato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.

I was thinking about getting a Red Sea ReefWave 25 for the tank (when i can afford it). Hoping that it would be able to put some flow down the back wall.

How best should I move the BTA? Will it come without resistance if I pulled (for lack of a better word) it off the rock?

nvcheeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4x BTAs in my RSN and they move where they want LOL Reef wave might be to much for Nano I had 2x Mp10 and just went to 1 as to much for nems there twice as big now.

Attachments

• 20211002_201655.jpg
    20211002_201655.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 77

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back