Red Sea Max Nano

Andrewrckt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I am awaiting my Red Sea Max Nano to arrive in the mail. In the meantime I am starting to debate how to set this up. I currently have a 40g breeder running, but looking to tear that down to use for the Max Nano. First question is, if I use the live rock from that tank and place it in the Max Nano, do I need to cycle the tank? The bacteria colony should be set up on the live rock. I just want to make sure my mentality is right here. I am also using live sand.

For this type of tank, should I add some of the bio media from my cannister filter to the sump in the back? I understand there isn't a lot of room in the back, but curious if I should add some of it in there. The idea here is to make the wife happy by taking up less real-estate in the house while having a reef tank. I don't mind down scaling to the 20G as there is a lot of wasted space in my current 40g breeder. I

I am planning on keeping my two clowns and then adding in some sps and lps coral to this tank (so a mixed tank). Looking for suggestions and tips for this type of nano reef tank!

Thanks

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will still need to cycle but will do so much faster. If using already cycled live rock and sand not sure the bio media would be needed in a 20 gallon. However I don't believe that u can have to much biodiversity either.

OP
OP
A

Andrewrckt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will still need to cycle but will do so much faster. If using already cycled live rock and sand not sure the bio media would be needed in a 20 gallon. However I don't believe that u can have to much biodiversity either.
Yeah, I realize the biodiversity will be limited and will be more focused on corals rather than fish. I plan on just putting my two clowns in the new tank and calling it done with fish.

Corals though I plan on trying to have a some lps and sps, but recognize that there will be spacing limitations due to the 18x18x18" size. The rock I plan on using will be from my 40g breeder which has been in the tank for about 2 years now.

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got mine up and running a few weeks ago. Love it. What a fantastic little tank. As for media, stick with the stock options. You’ve got the sock, the skimmer and the reef spec carbon. There is a small sponge at the base of the skimmer outlet and a large one around the return pump.

A few bits of advice.

Run the skimmer and don‘t fret about micro bubbles. You’ll get them. At first, the skimmer will seem to be completely useless. It’s not. Trust me. Just keep running it and use the air intake valve provided to start or you’ll likely run it very wet. As the skimmer breaks in, the bubbles will go away and you should be able to adjust it from there. I get about two cups of solid skimmate every two days. Works great.

The ATO supposed to last “up to three days.” They are heavy on the “up to” part because I refill mine daily. Consider other options (I’m keeping mine for now though). I am a fan of bacteria in a bottle. Doze it, use good rock and live sand. You’ll be cycled within days. Add those clowns on day one though.

Good luck. You’ll love this little tank. I sure do.

OP
OP
A

Andrewrckt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got mine up and running a few weeks ago. Love it. What a fantastic little tank. As for media, stick with the stock options. You’ve got the sock, the skimmer and the reef spec carbon. There is a small sponge at the base of the skimmer outlet and a large one around the return pump.

A few bits of advice.

Run the skimmer and don‘t fret about micro bubbles. You’ll get them. At first, the skimmer will seem to be completely useless. It’s not. Trust me. Just keep running it and use the air intake valve provided to start or you’ll likely run it very wet. As the skimmer breaks in, the bubbles will go away and you should be able to adjust it from there. I get about two cups of solid skimmate every two days. Works great.

The ATO supposed to last “up to three days.” They are heavy on the “up to” part because I refill mine daily. Consider other options (I’m keeping mine for now though). I am a fan of bacteria in a bottle. Doze it, use good rock and live sand. You’ll be cycled within days. Add those clowns on day one though.

Good luck. You’ll love this little tank. I sure do.
Thanks! I forgot about the skimmer wet stage. I have one on my 40G, but looking forward to testing this system out.

I bought some Dr. Tim’s bacteria to dose on day 1 to kick this off right! Hoping to start soon when it comes in. I hope it comes in fast!!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back