Red Sea Max S400

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a build thread for my current tank, but I didn’t start it until a few years after I set it up. I am finally getting around to setting up a second tank and this time I plan on documenting my progress on this thread.

Around a month ago I was able to get a used, but very well maintained Red Sea Max S400 for free. All it cost me was the gas to make the 15 hour round trip. The guy that I got it from is a long time member of the forum. He was very knowledgeable about the hobby and was an absolute joy to meet.

Once I got the tank home it sat on my porch for around a month while my wife and I decided (more like argued) about where the tank will go. It was a spur of the moment decision to get it, so there really wasn’t much if any planning about where it would go before I went to pick it up. We finally agreed on where it would go (not my first choice on location but a place we can both live with). So over this weekend I finally started setting it up.

I used to keep saltwater tanks many years ago and when my kids were little it became too much work and I got out of the hobby. Around 5 years ago my wife talked me into setting up a tank again, which is my current tank. It is a mixed reef and my wife is constantly wanting me to add fish and inverts that aren’t reef safe. So with this tank I am focusing on only adding the fish that she wants.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the tank set in place and leveled. I have added most of the water but I’m waiting until I build and add the aqua scape before I finish filling it up and add all of the equipment and trim pieces.
E9C7819B-1D10-4800-BC9E-86C895789E5E.jpeg
D6FDB672-ECCD-4CAF-8436-1010ACD858D2.jpeg

I spent a while cleaning on the sump and I would’ve said it was relatively clean, until I took this picture and can see it’s not all that clean, but it won’t matter once it’s up and running.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also spent a few minutes outside just sticking a few pieces of rock together to make sure my superglue and baking soda would hold the rocks together. I made one tall column that I am planning on branching off of. I’m not sure that I am going to like my design when I’m done but gluing the rocks together is oddly fun.
108E1453-DCDF-47B3-A694-1E6FFB4F78E2.jpeg

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent a few hours this evening working on my aquascape. I wasn’t able to get done before running out of glue, but I got two fairly large structures done, which for some reason I didn’t take pictures of. I will probably make one more to finish up the rock that I have.
I don’t understand why everyone says they spend an hour or more busting rocks apart. It only took me about 5 minutes and that includes letting the air compressor pump back up.
FEFD9F44-F317-48F6-96F4-E8A06E5B98C0.jpeg

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I nearly finished my aquascape (still not in the tank though) but as I sat and stared at it I decided to add one more branch. So I moved the piece I was adding to back to where I was gluing at and proceeded to glue the branch on in the wrong direction.
Idiot Facepalm GIF

I think tomorrow I’m going to play with the orientation of the 3 pieces and see if I can find some way that I still like without having to break the last branch off. Here it was before I messed it up.

7F9042DD-36D5-4708-A97C-2473AE2DB821.jpeg

I also realized it’s hard to show all of the intricacies with a single picture.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I finally have the aquascape and substrate in. I’m not sure if I like the aquascape but Ill decide once the water finally clears up. The flow and return pumps are running and it is adjusted to where the overflow pipe maintains a full siphon. I don’t seem to have any leaks in any of the plumbing after swapping out a ball valve on the manifold that was dripping. The flow rate through the sump is a little higher than I’d like and the ac return pump which was included is louder than I’d like. I may be shopping for a dc return pump soon. The original owner was using an Abyzz but still had the original pump so he let me have it with the tank, so I will probably switch it out and just keep it for a backup.
Now I just need to install the protein skimmer and T5 light fixture, which he also included with the tank. Then put on the trim and wait on it to cycle.
I can’t express how appreciative I am for everything I was just given along with the tank.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay I finally have the aquascape and substrate in. I’m not sure if I like the aquascape but Ill decide once the water finally clears up. The flow and return pumps are running and it is adjusted to where the overflow pipe maintains a full siphon. I don’t seem to have any leaks in any of the plumbing after swapping out a ball valve on the manifold that was dripping. The flow rate through the sump is a little higher than I’d like and the ac return pump which was included is louder than I’d like. I may be shopping for a dc return pump soon. The original owner was using an Abyzz but still had the original pump so he let me have it with the tank, so I will probably switch it out and just keep it for a backup.
Now I just need to install the protein skimmer and T5 light fixture, which he also included with the tank. Then put on the trim and wait on it to cycle.
I can’t express how appreciative I am for everything I was just given along with the tank.
I recently got myself a used Varios4... omg that thing is quiet. If not for the water moving into my sump you wouldn't tell its on... I would have never purchased a new one if it weren't for a good price on it. I got a sicce silent 3.5 during black friday sale last year and it's super loud in comparison. If you ever decide to splurge on one, I'd highly recommend it.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got myself a used Varios4... omg that thing is quiet. If not for the water moving into my sump you wouldn't tell its on... I would have never purchased a new one if it weren't for a good price on it. I got a sicce silent 3.5 during black friday sale last year and it's super loud in comparison. If you ever decide to splurge on one, I'd highly recommend it.
After posting that the pump was loud I actually determined that it wasn’t the pump. It seems to just be the flow rate that is causing the noise. At first I couldn’t figure out how it could be too much flow since it was the ac pump that was sold with the setup, but that pump was originally designed to feed a skimmer too. So I’m guessing that extra flow from not having the original skimmer is causing the noise. I think I’m going to leave a hose from the manifold going back into the sump to see if that helps before getting a new pump.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with the tank I was also given a skimmer which I just finally got in the sump. It’s older with an ac pump and part of the lid is broken, but it’s not everyday you’re given a free Bubble King skimmer.
582D02BB-E6CF-4D67-A6A1-A0C77C50DE62.jpeg

I just turned it on before taking the picture so it isn’t adjusted and even if it was there is nothing for it to skim anyway. I just wanted to see if it would work.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with the tank I was also given a skimmer which I just finally got in the sump. It’s older with an ac pump and part of the lid is broken, but it’s not everyday you’re given a free Bubble King skimmer.
582D02BB-E6CF-4D67-A6A1-A0C77C50DE62.jpeg

I just turned it on before taking the picture so it isn’t adjusted and even if it was there is nothing for it to skim anyway. I just wanted to see if it would work.
Nice deal!

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I still need to drill a hole in my wall so I can run my skimmer air intake outside.

Edit- also I need to put my lights on it, but I’m just going to use the t5 fixture that originally sold with the tank. I may upgrade sometime later.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth the 15 hour round trip! What kind of t5 fixture?
Well worth the trip.
It’s a 10 bulb t5 but I believe the previous owner told me that he removed the center 2 bulbs. I found a picture of what the fixture looks like online but obviously it will match the color of the stand. I figured a picture would be easier than trying to describe it.
DC52C55A-E612-434C-8331-AABB3F3E9018.jpeg

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well worth the trip.
It’s a 10 bulb t5 but I believe the previous owner told me that he removed the center 2 bulbs. I found a picture of what the fixture looks like online but obviously it will match the color of the stand. I figured a picture would be easier than trying to describe it.
DC52C55A-E612-434C-8331-AABB3F3E9018.jpeg
Center was removed to fit kessils a360s... apparently it's an exact fit :0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back