Reef Chemistry Puzzle #3

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2014
Messages
91,491
Reaction score
96,521
Location
Massachusetts, United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemistry Puzzle 3
4 clues today

A. Corals love me. I love acropora especially, since they are always looking to take me into their warm embrace.

B. I have several nearly identical siblings. Most reefers cannot tell us siblings apart, but I can see the difference.

C. Some of my siblings are unstable. Sometimes they just go crazy for no apparent reason. We tried therapy on them, but it didn't help them.

D. One of my siblings used to be in another family. He went crazy there, and become one of us instead. Scientists tried to study him and those like him, but they failed to get a good story out of him. He seems very ordinary now. Even I think he looks identical to me.

What am I?

Good luck!

Previous puzzle:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-chemistry-puzzle-2.1017452/















.
 
Last edited:
I am with phosphorous, but specifically The Phosphate Family with their offspring of Ortho, Poly, Meta their sister Organically-Bound and maybe some others that I have not met yet. Most people think that the whole family looks like Ortho. Stonies can permanently bind them into calcium carbonate structures as they grow. There are many unstable forms and most people only notice or care about one. I have no idea how a form got booted from one family to another, though.
 
Last edited:
I am with phosphorous, but specifically The Phosphate Family with their offspring of Ortho, Poly, Meta their sister Organically-Bound and maybe some others that I have not met yet. Most people think that the whole family looks like Ortho. Stonies can permanently bind them into calcium carbonate structures as they grow. There are many unstable forms and most people only notice or care about one. I have no idea how a form got booted from one family to another, though.
ATP? The 3rd phosphate group is very unstable and breaks off?
 
Let me give a clue. I might have been too cute with some of the phrasing.

"We tried therapy on them, but it didn't help them."

No therapy of any kind (e.g., nothing at all) impacts whether they "go crazy". :)

That's a big clue. What can going crazy mean that nothing seems to impact it?
 
My gaggle of daughters all like acropora, corals, share a lot of the DNA but not completely idential and need LESS than no reason to just go crazy... let me know where to claim my prize... I nailed this one!

lol you did!
 
The answer was DNA?
 
I’m so curious on what the answer is. My initial guess was zooxanthella/dinoflagellates.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new