Reef ground as a sand alternative

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno, “Amino Active” sounds Sorta like the “Corinthian Leather” of the reef world
...is there a price advatage you are looking for or a performance advantage? ‘
Something might be lost in translation as I’m seeing a salt ...and in any event I’m thinking it sounds “gimmicky”

Last edited:
OP
OP
sammander

sammander

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to do research because I am looking at different substrates because I am setting up a new tank. So I like to talk with people who have used specific products and their experiences before I decide which would be best for me.

I think you may be looking under the recommended section where you see Amino Active for Premium Coral Salt Amino Active. The description for the reef ground is below the image:

Product description

Ultrapure natural aragonite of fossil origin as a substrate for all marine water aquaria. Due to its purity, extremely bright with high light reflectance which is particularly an advantage for light-hungry corals. Reef Ground is an outstanding alternative to natural coral sand and protects the environment. Before placing in the aquarium, rinse the substrate thoroughly.

CaCO3 99.2%
MgCO3 0.4%
FeO3 0.035 %

OP
OP
sammander

sammander

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes this sand not “sand” in your eyes?
I guess I’m. It Seeing the difference

You are absolutely right in your statement. It IS a type of sand, just made up of a different substance, i.e, "Reef Ground is an outstanding alternative to natural coral sand and protects the environment." So maybe a better question is that, has anyone ever used this product which is not made up of typical natural coral sand, and if you have, what have been your experiences.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are absolutely right in your statement. It IS a type of sand, just made up of a different substance, i.e, "Reef Ground is an outstanding alternative to natural coral sand and protects the environment." So maybe a better question is that, has anyone ever used this product which is not made up of typical natural coral sand, and if you have, what have been your experiences.
I’ll be honest, it seems like nothing more than a marketing ploy to me without them giving you any actual information on where this comes from or what makes it different From other products.

OP
OP
sammander

sammander

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be honest, it seems like nothing more than a marketing ploy to me without them giving you any actual information on where this comes from or what makes it different From other products.

Ultrapure natural aragonite versus natural coral sand. Can anyone tell me the difference on why one would be better than another and has anyone had any experience with this?

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just crushed up aragonite, so if not expensive I’d use it. I’m using the regular caribsea aragonite in mine with no issues. Snails burrow, goby sifts it fine, and it doesn’t blow around in the flow. Theirs is usually on sale for about $4 a bag though.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen that brand over in the US. I use aragonite sand and I’m happy with it. It started out white but has changed color as the tank ages, it’s green, yellow, purple, pink and tan now. I feel like the stuff you have linked will change color also. Aragonite is used because of its purity... I’m not sure what makes this brand ultra pure. What are the prices for this sand? I didn’t see any listed.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So similar to dry rock, mined inland from old reefs, this is just ground to a sand it seems.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a lot like tropic eden reef flakes. I use the tropic eden reef flakes. It comes in different sizes.

OP
OP
sammander

sammander

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen that brand over in the US. I use aragonite sand and I’m happy with it. It started out white but has changed color as the tank ages, it’s green, yellow, purple, pink and tan now. I feel like the stuff you have linked will change color also. Aragonite is used because of its purity... I’m not sure what makes this brand ultra pure. What are the prices for this sand? I didn’t see any listed.

I can get a 20kilo (44lbs) bag for a bit under 42€(about $47).

OP
OP
sammander

sammander

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the responses, I think I will probably go with this as the price and grain size is what I'm looking for for the amount I'm wanting. It happens to be in our local LFS here in Finland and they will deliver as much as I like to my place.

spllbnd2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a lot like tropic eden reef flakes. I use the tropic eden reef flakes. It comes in different sizes.

Love the Tropic Eden substrates. But if only PA could get more stock in all the varieties that would be great.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back