reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Michael. Hystersis was just a suggestion. But I didn't see a high and low setting for the heater in you image.

Btw,. Site looks amazing. Love it.

Last edited:

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. that confused me and I think it may confuse others. Historically most every other controller has their heat and cool having separate set points. There will be users who do not wish the heat and cool be so close. (this is probably a programing change for @Ranjib ) have a min and a max for each would be much more preferable.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this toy out I got from China in the mail. This is my #2 controller circuit! I have a pair of them.
0f0b21546f1253f333750be8ddcb509b.jpg
7f52d24b60f0b0495c117563e56692e4.jpg

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new kessil light is micro usb connector based. I have a breakout board already :) can’t wait till it comes out :). It will be neat if I can control everything with reef-pi. For those who are not aware , the new kessil allows 1% dimming (currently it allows only 14% or more ) and finer control of the spectrum . Standard micro usb breakout has 5 pins , let’s see what signal the light expects ... they’ll release it in December :-( , long wait , but hey it’s a nice Christmas gift :)

bwp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, this project looks pretty exciting!

I have been thinking about setting up a moonlight that follows the lunar calendar. Trying to decide between just paying for the Neptune lsm (I have an apex) or challenging myself a bit by setting up reef pi to do this.

What is the current state of lunar support on reef pi? Would I have to add my own code to query the moon phase from a public api or write my own lunar calendar ? Or is this already point and click in reefpi? :)

Thanks!
Bryan

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been thinking about setting up a moonlight that follows the lunar calendar. Trying to decide between just paying for the Neptune lsm (I have an apex) or challenging myself a bit by setting up reef pi to do this.

What is the current state of lunar support on reef pi? Would I have to add my own code to query the moon phase from a public api or write my own lunar calendar ? Or is this already point and click in reefpi? :)

Thanks!
Bryan
I think that would be a cool feature and we'd welcome a pull request to add it so everyone could benefit from it. I recently started contributing to reef-pi and I've found the reef-pi dev team to be very supportive and easy to work with.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
Bryan
Hi Bryan,
Warm welcome to reef2reef, you’ll love it here.
reef-pi lighting module is not any specific type aware , it allows you to set intensity profile of any type of led light. We have build guides for the circuit part, that depends on the specific light type. In short you can use the same feature that’s used to simulate day light cyclc , for moon light cycle also. We do not have any seasonal pattern thing, if you have any details around it , I’m all ears and would love to implement it in next major release.
I use a coralife actinic blue led strip as moon light in one of my tank , that’s controlled by reef-pi. Here is a photo of the circuit,

CD76BCC2-54F4-4B6E-952B-DFB000C19B76.jpeg

This a power source (12v 2amp) , a raspberry pi , an lm2596 module and the light itself, is all you need
Light
DD3D623F-0C02-49A7-B143-D51CE84DC977.jpeg

Lm2596
92EF5A16-D0E8-429F-9B39-8B78BF020713.jpeg

I am working on the adafruit guides, hence the photos were already there :)
Happy reefing ,
Ranjib

SR52012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have been creeping on this post for a while, and I am very interested in it. But im just wondering, how much do ppl have invested in these Pi-controllers? Just want to know if is dramatically cheaper then buying a pre-built on I.E. Apex and so on. TIA!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have been creeping on this post for a while, and I am very interested in it. But im just wondering, how much do ppl have invested in these Pi-controllers? Just want to know if is dramatically cheaper then buying a pre-built on I.E. Apex and so on. TIA!
I have spend around 1K USD for my 6 controllers. Since, reef-pi is modual, different users configure it for different set of features and the build cost would be significantly different, but overall it should be less than its commercial counter parts. This is tentative cost estimate:
- Just reef-pi running on Raspberry Pi (you can play with UI, learn how to install it etc) : 50$
- reef-pi with 8 outlet powerstrip in a proper enclosure : 130$ (including Raspberry Pi)
- reef-pi with 18 channels LED control (two channel) - 90$
- reef-pi with pH monitoring: 200$ (including probe, calibration solution and everything)
- reef-pi with dual dosing pump: 100$
- reef-pi , all in one except pH : 350$
- reef-pi all in one with pH: 500-550$

does that make sense...?
Note: if you have some electronics tool and component, if you know some woodworking or 3d printing , your build cost will reduce significantly, as you have spare part or the housing cost is removed. And also remember this does not include multiple hours you'll have to spend to learn and build it.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And 100000+ hours? lol
HA! Reading maybe because I read everything. But only a few hours really invested heavily in construction. I am a NOVICE. I have never really soldered before, especially on a PCB. Go check out my post in my build thread. It should detail my thought process and what all I did. I plan to add PH soon and will be working to help implement PWM Dc pump controls.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/p...lified-66-rimless.165580/page-11#post-5090612

LionHeart2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new kessil light is micro usb connector based. I have a breakout board already :) can’t wait till it comes out :). It will be neat if I can control everything with reef-pi. For those who are not aware , the new kessil allows 1% dimming (currently it allows only 14% or more ) and finer control of the spectrum . Standard micro usb breakout has 5 pins , let’s see what signal the light expects ... they’ll release it in December :-( , long wait , but hey it’s a nice Christmas gift :)
Its using usbc sockets, not micro usb ranjib

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok , just checked , there are plenty usb c breakout boards in Amazon. We’ll have to wait till the new light comes out then we can tinker with it. Mean while , I’ll go ahead and order some of these breakout board and usb c cable

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back