reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat. It does not let you control the outlet from outside programs .

This brings up another question / development suggestion. I have a bunch of these (or something on another label but from what I've seen I think most are Tuya/SmartLife frameworks). They can be controlled though simple curl commands through IFTTT or through integrations with the Tuya HomeAssistant component. Are there plans to have Reef-pi integrate with IFTTT or send some simple web requests? POST / GET requests can integrate with IFTTT webhooks for very basic integration. Combined with the Reef-pi API this could be a very low cost option for automating on/off switches.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This brings up another question / development suggestion. I have a bunch of these (or something on another label but from what I've seen I think most are Tuya/SmartLife frameworks). They can be controlled though simple curl commands through IFTTT or through integrations with the Tuya HomeAssistant component. Are there plans to have Reef-pi integrate with IFTTT or send some simple web requests? POST / GET requests can integrate with IFTTT webhooks for very basic integration. Combined with the Reef-pi API this could be a very low cost option for automating on/off switches.
yes :)
IFTTT for controls and MQTT for telemetry is something on my mind. But as of now theres little interest. I am more than happy to work on this, if theres others who are also interested.
I would also like to emphasize that this comes at a huge reliability and compatibility cost. Wifi and those invidivdual outlets having their own micor controller is no where as reliable and simple as the dumb powerstrip+relay solution. It also comes at little higher price (the extra electronics that goes into making it smart). But these are fair risk to me. As of now I am more concerned about which API to settle on. We dont want a proliferation of drivers. i.e. settle on a opensource friendly reputaed vendor, or the most popular one that can be source across north america, europe, south africa and australia.

Please keep the conversation going, and thank you for bringing this up... I 'll be adding this as 3.0 thing,

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have been creeping on this post for a while, and I am very interested in it. But im just wondering, how much do ppl have invested in these Pi-controllers? Just want to know if is dramatically cheaper then buying a pre-built on I.E. Apex and so on. TIA!

I'm sitting at about $400-$450 AUD for my Reef-Pi with 16 outlets and 18 channels of PWM (no pH yet). It might seem high but there is a few reasons for that.
a) electrical components in Australia are quite expensive. I get as much as I can from china but some things I just have to bite the bullet and buy at a higher cost.
b) I keep changing my mind about how I want things set up. I went from a DIY enclosure to a 3D printed one and I set up initially with a bread board and then took it apart to solder onto a proto board and now I'm waiting for the PCB's before I go any further :p my goal is to get Reef-Pi up and running for more than a week this year! hahahaha

If I hadn't changed my mind constantly about things over the last year or if I was starting now with the same knowledge I've gained, I'd probably have been able to get to the same point with only $200 AUD

To put it in perspective, in Australia the Apex Jr (which I think only has 4 outlets) is $1133 AUD so even after I buy the pH boards and probe I will still be coming in at half the cost of an apex jr with way more functionality.

And while I have invested a lot of time into this, it's all learning which is well worth my time. And I have learned a lot and had a lot of fun!

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for your viewing pleasure.
fac3a6c5fbbacdad3f022b90b2855277.jpg

.-=Jord=-.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bryan,
Warm welcome to reef2reef, you’ll love it here.
reef-pi lighting module is not any specific type aware , it allows you to set intensity profile of any type of led light. We have build guides for the circuit part, that depends on the specific light type. In short you can use the same feature that’s used to simulate day light cyclc , for moon light cycle also. We do not have any seasonal pattern thing, if you have any details around it , I’m all ears and would love to implement it in next major release.
I use a coralife actinic blue led strip as moon light in one of my tank , that’s controlled by reef-pi. Here is a photo of the circuit,

CD76BCC2-54F4-4B6E-952B-DFB000C19B76.jpeg

This a power source (12v 2amp) , a raspberry pi , an lm2596 module and the light itself, is all you need
Light
DD3D623F-0C02-49A7-B143-D51CE84DC977.jpeg

Lm2596
92EF5A16-D0E8-429F-9B39-8B78BF020713.jpeg

I am working on the adafruit guides, hence the photos were already there :)
Happy reefing ,
Ranjib

Is this what I would need to male to control a SB Reef Light?

Zephrant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Equipment timers stopped working last week. I can turn my relays on/off manually, but the time on/off cycles do not happen.

I’ve rebooted, upgraded to Beta7 (from 6), and deleted and re-created the timers.

Any suggestions?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Equipment timers stopped working last week. I can turn my relays on/off manually, but the time on/off cycles do not happen.

I’ve rebooted, upgraded to Beta7 (from 6), and deleted and re-created the timers.

Any suggestions?

Can you upgrade to the alpha release . Due to an ui bug , timers were saved in disabled state in beta-7 , we fixed it in alpha 0

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this what I would need to male to control a SB Reef Light?
Actually , I don’t know . I only run kessil and coralife actinic strips . I know others have used different lights with reef-pi. Do you know what’s the control voltage for reefbrite ?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that note (reef-pi and reef brite) I would really love to know what you all are using ? I want to capture and consolidate this for others use , I think it will be very useful. Catalog of different/popular lights and electronics to control them via reef-pi )

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll give Alpha a try, but it occurred with beta-6 out of the blue, after working for weeks.
did you see any error in the log? thats strange. Any sudden changes, like reboot?
If I can reproduce this on my end, i have higher chances of fixing it

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know a way to configure reef-pi to control multiple heaters without chaining them on a power strip? I have 2 relay strips that are plugged into different circuits...
I currently have 6 heaters in my tank, with 2 on a single power strip, 3 always on (with internal thermostat), and 1 that I plug in manually when it gets colder in the house. Ideally, I'd like to be able to control them individually, and it would be even better for me if I could set individual temperature thresholds so the extras come on if the others can't keep the temperature up.

.-=Jord=-.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually , I don’t know . I only run kessil and coralife actinic strips . I know others have used different lights with reef-pi. Do you know what’s the control voltage for reefbrite ?

I believe its 10v.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back