reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little humor I ran across today for those of you guys that are doing FW pi's lol

nu6aIdw.jpg
Hey now....lol

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the replies fella's :)
It's such an interesting subject area and i'm learning a lot. i'm probably going to go with the buck converter because it wont generate as much heat in my enclosed box.
I'll be driving it with an old 12v 1.5A laptop power supply, i'm hoping i wont have to worry about output voltage fluctuations when using that.

one more thing before i sidle off .. in our stores we've got boxes of single industrial mechanical relays but i'm thinking for simplicity's sake and to avoid any back EMF spikes i should go with cheap and cheerful opto-isolated 8 bank relays off of amazon
choices choices lol
Depends on the relays...for what most need the 8 channel jobs are just fine...if u can get ahold of some nice mini industrial relays however ;)

crowndroyal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next question, for the controller UI.

Is there more icons available for the UI ? Can we make our own or is there a selection we can choose from ?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next question, for the controller UI.

Is there more icons available for the UI ? Can we make our own or is there a selection we can choose from ?
Im not sure what you mean, reef-pi is just a website, that you visit from you tablet's browser. Its not an app that you will install in the tablet. You can bookmark the controller url for ease of access and I know linux desktops allows creating desktop shortcuts for urls with customizable icons. So you can get similar user experience.

crowndroyal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure what you mean, reef-pi is just a website, that you visit from you tablet's browser. Its not an app that you will install in the tablet. You can bookmark the controller url for ease of access and I know linux desktops allows creating desktop shortcuts for urls with customization icons. So you can get similar user experience.

there is no "User interface" ? ( like reefbot )
There is no icons that one sees on the actual screen on the controller to make changes or have a visual of whats going on ?

there is no app available to see whats going on while away or to control away from home ?

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no "User interface" ? ( like reefbot )
There is no icons that one sees on the actual screen on the controller to make changes or have a visual of whats going on ?

there is no app available to see whats going on while away or to control away from home ?
Yes there is a web UI...meaning you go to a web address on your local network in a browser. You can make changes, see graphs, turn equipment on and off...etc.
You can access remotely as long as you can get on your local network remotely. There are various ways to accomplish this. I myself VPN into my local network and there is my controller!

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of funny. In highschool I used to build DC power supplies for all sorts of things. Got into Reef-pi over 20 years later and was thinking to build my own power supply till I read the specs on the 7805 vs lm2586. I guess I am getting old too lol.

The LM2586 is a dinosaur too, lots more efficient higher frequency switchers out there, but you can’t beat the price of those modules.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SDchris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Let me read through the docs. Do you know the author ?
No I don't.
I have been working on my own alk monitor for while and was looking for a program to be able to use for comparative tests, so as to rule out where some of my errors are coming from (probe, controller or software)
Have just ordered the parts for the Reef-Pi pH/orp board. Looking forward to giving it a go with the above software.

Chris

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the ph board driver development. Last night I applied my pico tanks calibration, calibration was done with Hanna ph checker readings against the same tank water at same point in time, twice. So it was a two point calibration. I applied it using API( command line, since UI support is nit there yet) . The results are looking promising after the probe ran for about 15 hours now. Finally I can see the ph cycle of both tanks are indeed very similar..
EE05A26D-864F-4305-BD9D-1B97CA3BBCC0.jpeg

I’ll keep this running, and report back the results. Unless there are any surprises, I’m waiting from @Zekth or @Michael Lane to make the UI changes to support calibration and we are good for a beta build that you all can test out.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the ph board driver development. Last night I applied my pico tanks calibration, calibration was done with Hanna ph checker readings against the same tank water at same point in time, twice. So it was a two point calibration. I applied it using API( command line, since UI support is nit there yet) . The results are looking promising after the probe ran for about 15 hours now. Finally I can see the ph cycle of both tanks are indeed very similar..

I’ll keep this running, and report back the results. Unless there are any surprises, I’m waiting from @Zekth or @Michael Lane to make the UI changes to support calibration and we are good for a beta build that you all can test out.
Can I super duper like this!

Guess its time to get a ph probe on the way!!!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I super duper like this!

Guess its time to get a ph probe on the way!!!
Do you have test build or you plan to update your current build ? I can share the steps to configure calibration, just let me know when your probe is in.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running 2.3, but not scared to update...i dont have the test build but id love to help test...

Ill probably order a probe this week...anyone like the pinpoint marine probes?

A freshwater guy with a ph probe, will I have to order a tux and look sophisticated?(read the cartoon a dozen or so posts up)

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running 2.3, but not scared to update...i dont have the test build but id love to help test...

Ill probably order a probe this week...anyone like the pinpoint marine probes?

A freshwater guy with a ph probe, will I have to order a tux and look sophisticated?(read the cartoon a dozen or so posts up)

The Pinpoint probes are a decent value. I also had good luck with the Extech probes but they have a very short cable.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks good.

I’m also curious how much of the response time of the probes is due to the probe type - are they different types?

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice work on the pH drivers! I've still probably got another week or 2 until I have some free time to spend on programming, but I'm happy to help modify the pH calibration to work with the new drivers.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back