reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The TV8 rated relays are ul rated, and rated for high inrush currents. Perfect for motor loads, and means the relays are alot more robust.

That's what was confusing me, the -HR is the high inrush version (100amp) but now I found this nice brochure and looks like TV8 is 117 amps, I also didn't realize that was needed for UL rating, thanks for pointing that out.

What had me interested in the G2RL is it's max operating voltage is 440v which would help with surges, the G5RL's are only 250v. I just discovered they are only TV3 so the winner is TV8 model. :)

Can I use a raspberry pi 4 for this DIY ?

You can however at the moment a recent Raspberry Pi OS update has broken one of the libraries used by reef-pi so you can't update the OS on Pi4 until the fix is available.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what was confusing me, the -HR is the high inrush version (100amp) but now I found this nice brochure and looks like TV8 is 117 amps, I also didn't realize that was needed for UL rating, thanks for pointing that out.

What had me interested in the G2RL is it's max operating voltage is 440v which would help with surges, the G5RL's are only 250v. I just discovered they are only TV3 so the winner is TV8 model. :)

You can however at the moment a recent Raspberry Pi OS update has broken one of the libraries used by reef-pi so you can't update the OS on Pi4 until the fix is available.
Im a service engineer for cnc machinery, if theres a failure point, ive seen it.

Simonv92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I'm doing some tests with pH board from Roberto Buti (Github project)
On the dashboard in the current ph value I have a lot of decimal, there's a way to reduce them? maybe only one? like 8.5 or so...
Thank you very much!

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I'm doing some tests with pH board from Roberto Buti (Github project)
On the dashboard in the current ph value I have a lot of decimal, there's a way to reduce them? maybe only one? like 8.5 or so...
Thank you very much!
No, currently cant reduce them in the current versions.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure out the pins on @Micheal Lane Ph interface board to an ML hat. I know the pins on the hat.
It is gnd, sda, sdl, 5v
bottom of board is printed with this.

In my box ph is plugged into corner. From right side of image moving left. Yellow, white, red, black. On ph board it is plugged in from bottom of image moving up yellow, white, red, black.

2B298B81-4F58-4F0D-8160-18F925E2CA05.jpeg

Last edited:

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is gnd, sda, sdl, 5v

In my box ph is plugged into corner. From right side of image moving left. Yellow, white, red, black. On ph board it is plugged in from bottom of image moving up yellow, white, red, black.

It is gnd, sda, sdl, 5v

I had my board already bolted in so I checked the back and there it was. I bought the pre-wired plugs from
ML Reefkeeping. The wire colors matched up perfectly between the hat and Ph interface. Thanks for your help!

20200906_114830.jpg 20200906_112617.jpg

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a couple TP-Link (kasa) devices to control power to a heater and light on my new tank. It's temporary until finances settle from my recent job change.

I asked about the ability to have reef pi update the ui based on polling the devices in the past. Didn't seem to be much interest in it.

I believe I have found a good use case for doing so.

Unless you setup a DHCP reservation on your router, the kasa device will likely pull a new ip address after a power cycle. It's happened a few times to me in the last couple of months. The kasa app doesn't care, it uses the mac address to discover the device. reef-pi just happily goes about it's business thinking things are fine and not bothering to error out. It didn't even log the error.

I'm not a go programmer, however, I do know of a night nodejs package that I am able to scan and control the kasa devices in my house from a linux cmd line with. Perhaps incorporating something like this could assist with better control / monitoring of these outlets. https://www.npmjs.com/package/tplink-lightbulb

waynel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have the second float switch setup as an inlet connector on address 18, named "topoffwater". I setup the second ATO, named it "topoffwater" using the "topoffwater" inlet with a check frequency of 2, control set to equipment, control pump is outlet1 on my powerbar. Setup like this, it works and switches the outlet on/off as I move the float up and down, waiting 2 seconds in between. If I set the control setting to "nothing", and enable alerts with "alert after" set to 10, 2 seconds after I enable it, I start getting emails, no matter what position the float is in.

@Ranjib or anyone that might know, this is how I have it configured, still not working as I would expect:

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 09.45.04.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 09.44.31.png

As soon as I enable it, with the float in the up position (so that the power outlet pb1 would be off), I get email alerts, but the power outlet behaves as it should (turns off with the float up, turns on with the float down):
Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 09.48.13.png

A macro option to send a single email/alert would be helpful, I think I could get this to work with that.

What am I doing wrong?

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using an ML hat but not as a hat with a Raspberry pi 4. I am using these:
15995024881526508627556029131264.jpg

I was thinking that I could use a shared ground between the r-pi 4 and the Hat and any ground for the uln2803 header and the breakout GPIO. I will also be adding additional ULN2803 chips to control additional relays. I would like to share ground for all of these. Additionally I would think I could tie this ground into the mains ground.

Last edited:

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using an ML hat but not as a hat with a Raspberry pi 4. I am using these:
15995024881526508627556029131264.jpg

I was thinking that I could use a shared ground between the r-pi 4 and the Hat and any ground for the uln2803 header and the breakout GPIO. I will also be adding additional ULN2803 chips to control additional relays. I would like to share ground for all of these. Additionally I would think I could tie this ground into the mains ground.

> I would like to share ground for all of these.

You need to share a ground for all of the DC equipment. If you can, run all GND signals along with the power supply wiring to the same power source (DC/DC, AC/DC, Vreg, etc). If you are using multiple DC/DC converters or AC/DC converters, tie all of their grounds at a common point, but keep the power/GND lines running as a pair to each supply to each load. The tie exists simply to make sure everything is at a similar reference, and only very small currents used for signals should ever cross this.

> Additionally I would think I could tie this ground into the mains ground.

Unless you have a very specific reason to, do NOT do this.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
> I would like to share ground for all of these.

You need to share a ground for all of the DC equipment. If you can, run all GND signals along with the power supply wiring to the same power source (DC/DC, AC/DC, Vreg, etc). If you are using multiple DC/DC converters or AC/DC converters, tie all of their grounds at a common point, but keep the power/GND lines running as a pair to each supply to each load. The tie exists simply to make sure everything is at a similar reference, and only very small currents used for signals should ever cross this.

> Additionally I would think I could tie this ground into the mains ground.

Unless you have a very specific reason to, do NOT do this.
This mostly cleared things up. However I was confused by this, "and only very small currents used for signals should ever cross this".
I have a Cana kit power supply designed for rpi4. Any power coming from the pi or hat should be coming from this. I planned to have 1 additional 12v power supply. I assume that i plug the additional DC power supply into the 12v header on the Hat. This would be tieing the grounds of both power supplies together.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This mostly cleared things up. However I was confused by this, "and only very small currents used for signals should ever cross this".
I have a Cana kit power supply designed for rpi4. Any power coming from the pi or hat should be coming from this. I planned to have 1 additional 12v power supply. I assume that i plug the additional DC power supply into the 12v header on the Hat. This would be tieing the grounds of both power supplies together.

Yup - the HAT will have the grounds of both the Pi and HAT joined, from the same standpoint of "there is always a return path" - in this case for the signals. Not much current is going to flow here.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to figure out these Kamoer dosing pumps i purchased from Alibaba. I believe they are brushless motors with internal controllers. There are 5 wires coming out:
20200604_170825.jpg

I searched online for days trying to find anything referencing a 5 wire brushless motor. I could only find 1 reference:

What I have come up with is that if I connect 12+ to pin 5 and grd to pin 2 no power will run through the motor until I activate the PWM signal from the hat to pin 1. It seems like if I don't connect pins 3 or 4 it should operate in a forward direction.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like its based on the normal fan motor wiring:

1599531831855.png

In this case, Red is +, Black is GND, Blue is PWM speed input. FG is the tachometer output so you can measure the actual speed output (its going to be a pulse train back out). I'd tie the yellow wire either GND to make sure it spins in a defined direction and won't flip on you.

Probably using some variant of a fan controller:

I didn't realize they had PWM controlled pump heads _with_ speed output, which is very nice when you want to spin them faster as it will probably be much quieter than a stepper.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib or anyone that might know, this is how I have it configured, still not working as I would expect:

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 09.45.04.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 09.44.31.png

As soon as I enable it, with the float in the up position (so that the power outlet pb1 would be off), I get email alerts, but the power outlet behaves as it should (turns off with the float up, turns on with the float down):
Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 09.48.13.png

A macro option to send a single email/alert would be helpful, I think I could get this to work with that.

What am I doing wrong?

What version of reef-pi are you running?

There was a bug on the ATO and alerting recently. Something like it would work the first time and then fail. I remember downgrading a version which solved the problem for me.

Yov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1599570870306.png

So after i do a reset by taking out the sensors and the power. Everything works perfect. until sudenly it doesn't. i have 3 Temp. sensors ant they al stop working at the same time. over and over again :/
always with:

{"error":"open /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-03119779400c/w1_slave: no such file or directory"} | HTTP 404

any info in this by now?

waynel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What version of reef-pi are you running?

There was a bug on the ATO and alerting recently. Something like it would work the first time and then fail. I remember downgrading a version which solved the problem for me.

Version 3.3.1. This really seems like a bug. I "think" that the ATO reporting/alerts is a combination of all ATOs you have defined, not seperate, and it's alerting for the combination of my two.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1599570870306.png

So after i do a reset by taking out the sensors and the power. Everything works perfect. until sudenly it doesn't. i have 3 Temp. sensors ant they al stop working at the same time. over and over again :/
always with:

{"error":"open /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-03119779400c/w1_slave: no such file or directory"} | HTTP 404

any info in this by now?
Check if your sensor is being detected. It looks like reef-pi cant find the sensor

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back