reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Martin Lowry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib Oops! Invalid Credentials.
It's been quite sometime since I worked on my build. Just getting back to it now and long story cut short, I forgot my credentials. Is there any way to maybe backup the DB, do a clean install to get to where I was?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop reef-pi, run the reset-password command, start reef-pi
Code:
sudo systemctl stop reef-pi.service
sudo reef-pi reset-password -user <NEW_USER> -password <NEW PASSWORD>
sudo systemctl start reef-pi.service

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Code:

Is there a list of "useful" or "common" commands for Reefpi?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a list of "useful" or "common" commands for Reefpi?
No.. I did the dev work in piecemeal, the only help currently present is `reef-pi --help` . I plan to add the details in docs as part of 4.0 release work., its one of the long list of things that needs to be documented.

Martin Lowry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Code:

Strange! Tried the above and got the successful message, then started the reef-pi.service, tried to login from the browser and still getting the same invalid credentials. Tried multiple times and rebooted

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange! Tried the above and got the successful message, then started the reef-pi.service, tried to login from the browser and still getting the same invalid credentials. Tried multiple times and rebooted
reef-pi uses session based authentication and one possibility is the old session cookie still being used. If you still encountering this issue , check if logging in from your browser incognito or private mode work? If so, its due to cached data in the browser

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
regarding the Reef-pi board..
no problem to build it with perma proto boards.
just though maybe some pre packaged build boards will make it simpler.
dont need boxes. plan to have my own acrylic box.

I got a feeling that the 4 doser ports is some kind of a "bottleneck" ? is it ?
need about 7 doser ports.
- 4 for chemicals
- 1 for AOT doser pump to push it far away
- 2 for auto water change system IN/OUT also far away

so it seams the Leviathan and ROBOtank are limited to 4.

also I want an option to have about 7-10 water level sensors (chemicals bottles, AOT and water changer , Sump etc)

QUESTION: can you guys give me a list of accessories that will use 16 AC sockets ? Why would I need 16 ?

This list compared to your larger list can be done on controller as is. You get the following to work with.

- 6 configurable sensor ports
- 7 DC ports (unidirectional 12v dosing pump or any other 12v DC device, speed can be adjusted in reef-pi for each, requires DC device to operate on range of voltages such as 6v-12v.)
- 1 auto feeder port (can be used as extra DC port)
- 3 DC ports have a backup float switch port (cuts power to DC port no matter what reef-pi says, great for ATO backup etc.)
- 16 outputs on two DB9's. These come straight from Pi so can be used for anything, my power bars connect to these. In next couple weeks I will have power bar alternatives so instead of AC outlets you can add more DC or sensor ports. I will also have a simple addon to replace the existing DB9s so you can still add 16 AC outlets, it'll have two DB9s.
- 8 outputs that can put out 0-5v or 0-10v PWM or 0-5v or 0-10v analog signal.

With DIY involved you can do everything as controller comes for your long list.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if there is a limit to the number of kasa hs300s that can be paired to a reefpi? Got to hand it to you that the Kasa integration was a great idea, seems like the power control is the most tedious part of the build.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if there is a limit to the number of kasa hs300s that can be paired to a reefpi? Got to hand it to you that the Kasa integration was a great idea, seems like the power control is the most tedious part of the build.
I am tested with 3 at a time.. i am not aware of any explicit limit in place, unless there's cpu/memory issues, which is highly unlikely. I don't know the upper limits, but it should be way beyond dozens..

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id vote for a backup/test setup instead of replacing the zero. Whats working, should not be touched unless there's specific reason to do so :) . Having a backup setup that is tested with your existing build is best. reef-pi 4.0 will ship with db export/import capabilities, which will make swapping pi/sd cards even easier

dadarara

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This list compared to your larger list can be done on controller as is. You get the following to work with.

- 6 configurable sensor ports
- 7 DC ports (unidirectional 12v dosing pump or any other 12v DC device, speed can be adjusted in reef-pi for each, requires DC device to operate on range of voltages such as 6v-12v.)
- 1 auto feeder port (can be used as extra DC port)
- 3 DC ports have a backup float switch port (cuts power to DC port no matter what reef-pi says, great for ATO backup etc.)
- 16 outputs on two DB9's. These come straight from Pi so can be used for anything, my power bars connect to these. In next couple weeks I will have power bar alternatives so instead of AC outlets you can add more DC or sensor ports. I will also have a simple addon to replace the existing DB9s so you can still add 16 AC outlets, it'll have two DB9s.
- 8 outputs that can put out 0-5v or 0-10v PWM or 0-5v or 0-10v analog signal.

With DIY involved you can do everything as controller comes for your long list.
thanks
will be waiting for the new updated products.
I can do all DIY. and I do appreciate the notion of having modular design that allows easy fixing and changes by going FULL DIY. But in this case I think its better to start with some core module and build around it. of course this product appeals to a DIY guys like us anyhow. so it should be priced accordingly to be a good alternative to a FULL DIY.
my two cents ..

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at the instructions on Adafruit and for each part of the project, you need a raspberry pi hat. Are you able to fit multiple hats onto the raspberry pi or do you need a new raspberry pi every time you build a part of it?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at the instructions on Adafruit and for each part of the project, you need a raspberry pi hat. Are you able to fit multiple hats onto the raspberry pi or do you need a new raspberry pi every time you build a part of it?
I put all of my wiring on a single hat. Its a bit cluttered but I did every module except lighting. Alternatives are pre-built hats that members here offer (e.x. leviathan)

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put all of my wiring on a single hat. Its a bit cluttered but I did every module except lighting. Alternatives are pre-built hats that members here offer (e.x. leviathan)
I don't like stuff being cluttered, so I was wondering if multiple reef pi hats can be stacked on top of each other.
I also do not want to use pre-built hats because I want the DIY experience.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any good documentation for the "Reef Pi PWM Frequency" setting, and the Dosing "Speed" setting? Things aren't working as I'd expect - and I'm trying to figure out what I don't understand.

Basically, I've got the PWM frequency set to 100, and I've got a stepper motor with 1.8 degrees step angle/200 steps (A4988 driver) . I've got the driver set to full steps.

My expectation was that at 100hz, and 200 steps needed, a revolution would take 2 seconds. Its running way faster than that (several revolutions per second). I'm also not 100% sure what the speed setting is doing - it won't run at 100%, but will run at anything else and as far as I can tell speed isn't varying visibly.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any good documentation for the "Reef Pi PWM Frequency" setting, and the Dosing "Speed" setting? Things aren't working as I'd expect - and I'm trying to figure out what I don't understand.

Basically, I've got the PWM frequency set to 100, and I've got a stepper motor with 1.8 degrees step angle/200 steps (A4988 driver) . I've got the driver set to full steps.

My expectation was that at 100hz, and 200 steps needed, a revolution would take 2 seconds. Its running way faster than that (several revolutions per second). I'm also not 100% sure what the speed setting is doing - it won't run at 100%, but will run at anything else and as far as I can tell speed isn't varying visibly.
As you have noticed, reef-pi does not have straight forward way to configure stepper, in ways that you can control the precise pwm life cycle. The % value stands for duty_cycle. 100% means the entire duty_cycle,

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you have noticed, reef-pi does not have straight forward way to configure stepper, in ways that you can control the precise pwm life cycle. The % value stands for duty_cycle. 100% means the entire duty_cycle,
Alrighty - so it makes sense that the speed setting didn't make a difference - the stepper control works on the rising cycle and that's not changing.

Is the raspberry pi pwm frequency in the main configuration page actually hz? Or is it something else ?

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to use reefpi to PWM control a 20 VDC lighting system? If so do you recommend circuitry that includes an optical isolator to prevent the 20 from hitting the pi?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back