Reef-Pi Controllers: New all-in-one with power bar, and the original Pico

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news, the got issues with board sorted. Temp probe and ADJ bar are setup on a new tank I'm building and working. Seems my pin to power outlet mapping is not ordered correctly so I need to hammer that out.

I am not sure how to get the 0-10v setup with my 2 Kessils. Blew about 30 minutes sifting through this thread to no avail. Anyone have a link handy to that information?
With the pico board you don’t need any electronics , it’s just plug n play. There was a misaligned pin issue , which I worked around using a reverse audio jack connector , but I think @theatrus fixed it. What problems you are encountering?

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the pico board you don’t need any electronics , it’s just plug n play. There was a misaligned pin issue , which I worked around using a reverse audio jack connector , but I think @theatrus fixed it. What problems you are encountering?

The current D boards still have the GND on the "wrong" (not Kessil compatible) sleeve, so the adapter is still needed sadly.

Stephen2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you wire the db9 connector to these boards?
Especially in refernce to the vcc and gnd?
4054a924b08e22de366f3e4277adbc6a.jpg

neohusky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you wire the db9 connector to these boards?
Especially in refernce to the vcc and gnd?

I was going to ask the same question regarding wiring suggestions as I’ll be building my own power strip and was looking at 8 channel relays.

@MaccaPopEye has provided plans https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3024281for a strip using an 8 channel 5v relay and using rj45 jack back to the controller. I wanted to modify this for pico’s required 12v and the db9 connector.

Can anyone recommend a similar form factor 8channel 12v relay? Also, do these kind of eBay relays need a separate 12v supply (via a buck converter?)

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to ask the same question regarding wiring suggestions as I’ll be building my own power strip and was looking at 8 channel relays.

@MaccaPopEye has provided plans https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3024281for a strip using an 8 channel 5v relay and using rj45 jack back to the controller. I wanted to modify this for pico’s required 12v and the db9 connector.

Can anyone recommend a similar form factor 8channel 12v relay? Also, do these kind of eBay relays need a separate 12v supply (via a buck converter?)

The Pico board is designed to drive 12V relays directly, so it doesn’t need a driver board with isolators and all that Jazz. The power comes from the common pin 5 on the DB9.

That said having it on a board with terminals makes life easier, but I haven’t seen a ready made one without any of the extra bits on eBay.

Stephen2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you suggest wiring these ready made boards with the pico board?
Maybe a resistor to limit the current to 5v on pin 5?

Stephen2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i create a voltage divider and pull it to ground?
Or will the 12v kill the board?
Thinking of using a 4.7 kΩ and 6.8 kΩ for 12V to 5V

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea about if they will work with the pico board or now but they do look like a similar form factor to the ones I used (obviously you will need to change where the stand-offs sit).

One thing to note is that the relay boards I used apparently won't work with the ULN chip that reef-pi recommends (I haven't tried yet), they only work when hooked up directly to the pi. I can't remember why this is but just something to keep in mind when shopping for relays, not all of them work the same.

neohusky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to note is that the relay boards I used apparently won't work with the ULN chip that reef-pi recommends (I haven't tried yet), they only work when hooked up directly to the pi. I can't remember why this is but just something to keep in mind when shopping for relays, not all of them work the same.

Thanks for the heads up. It might be a matter of trial and error. I did also consider jumping on amazon and buying an ADJ power strip, but, at AUS$70, having to buy plug adapters and the uncertainty of it's suitability at 240V has put me off.

The other option is to possibly DIY a ADJ replica with the Socket Panel Universal Plugs , some SONGLE 250VAC 30VDC relays and a DB9 connector

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up. It might be a matter of trial and error. I did also consider jumping on amazon and buying an ADJ power strip, but, at AUS$70, having to buy plug adapters and the uncertainty of it's suitability at 240V has put me off.

The other option is to possibly DIY a ADJ replica with the Socket Panel Universal Plugs , some SONGLE 250VAC 30VDC relays and a DB9 connector
If you want, you can try out the new smart plug driver :)

trackerit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@theatrus I am trying to run a double relay, to control the vipar lights using the output 2x0-10V pwm and the output gp17 and gp27, the relay card I have connected GND to GND of the picoboard, VCC to the output of 5V of the picoboard, IN1 and IN2 to outputs 17 and 27, but nothing happens when activating the outlet in reef-pi, will I be connecting something wrong?
I have measured with a multimeter, and where I should have 5V I have no voltage, will I have to enable something?
I have not voltage in I2C, I put the multimeter in gnd and 5V out and it does not measure anything

IMG_20190603_083020.jpg

IMG_20190603_083047.jpg

neohusky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want, you can try out the new smart plug driver :)

At this point in my setup I see it as a little costly Here in Aus the cheapest I’ve found them is $AU30. Admittedly I don’t need 8 straight up but for the cost of 2 I could have 8 outlets and hardwired reliability not dependant on my wifi network.

I do see some ease of use/build benefits to the smart plugs for smaller setups though.

Stephen2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just like some assistance with a relay board

Can I use the DB9 pins as the input pins and the terminal headers 5v and GND for the relay and not connect pin5 of the db9

I'm planning to use the attached relay boards and they require 5v and gnd

download.jpg

trackerit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just like some assistance with a relay board

Can I use the DB9 pins as the input pins and the terminal headers 5v and GND for the relay and not connect pin5 of the db9

I'm planning to use the attached relay boards and they require 5v and gnd

download.jpg

Yes, of course, you only have to create the corresponding connectors and then the outlets, do you have 5 volts in the pins of the header? in my case none of the pins work, there is no 5V in any of the 3

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back