Reef Ready 90 Gallon - Overflow Plumbing Question

Ric878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a reef-ready 90 gallon which has the overflow in the back right corner. Inside the overflow, there are two pre-plumbed holes, a one-inch and a 3/4 inch. I assume the original intent was to use the one inch as the stand pipe and the 3/4 was the return. I of course am concerned with not having any redundancy in the overflow to the sump. I figured I would use both in a Herbie setup and then run a length of PVC up the back for the return.

Questions:
Does this seem like the right course of action?
Which of the two existing holes should I use as the primary? The one inch or the 3/4 inch?
Any other ideas or alternatives I should be considering?

Thanks,
Ric

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're on the right path. I'd use the 1" as the primary and the 3/4" as the secondary.

OP
OP
Ric878

Ric878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it make sense to use an adapter to increase the 3/4 inch bulkhead to one inch? Would that create a bit more pressure?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the 3/4" as the primary and the 1" as the secondary.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back